help me decide what sport for my son...

Options

Replies

• jimethanowen
    Options
    What is his personality like?? More of a team player? Competitive nature or easy going?? What does he like to play so far?? I don't think you have to chose a specific sport just yet at only 3 years old, but maybe playing a few can give you good look at what he is better at, what he likes and what his personality is/will be! Have fun...
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ballet. He could partner tall ballerinas.
  • arenadiva21
    Options
    I wouldn't rule out rodeo height can be an advantage, also I agree with the others saying you should let him try out many different types and let him choose when he is older.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

Man, I was so skeered to look at this one. I figured I was going to see a video of competitive, projectile vomiting!

Ha ha! Nope, hurling is a real sport and it looks like so much fun. I wish they had a women's league closer to where I live.

The female equivalent is called Camogie, it's exactly the same. Try googling it, you never know.

There is a Hurling Club local that is associated with the college, but they only play games an hour north of here. I am fairly certain there is a Camogie group up there as well, but I barely get time to use the restroom with privacy, so unfortunately two hours of travel time in a day to join them is out of the question. It looks like a ton of fun, though and super competitive.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to be that ridiculously overbearing parent who forces my son (he's 2 months shy of being 3) to pick a sport at an early age and try to make him a pro/D1 prospect (apparently this is all the rage in suburban TX).

What are your thoughts?

I say whatever will make him look like you but without the towel .. lol
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    whatever sport make sure to buy much steroid and hormone so he is best. i am Croatia we take steroid sometime before we walk
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    rugby.
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    AMERICANS
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Nobody's mentioned this one yet: Hockey.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's way too late for him to start training. You should have started a strict diet and workout regimen no later than his 2nd birthday. You have failed your son!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    chess
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I would steer him away from anything being linked to concussions and long term brain damage. He'll thank you when he doesn't make the team but can make oodles of money from being smart instead of punch drunk. Meanwhile, his height argues for mid-distance runner.
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    synchronized swimming
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

There is a Hurling Club local that is associated with the college, but they only play games an hour north of here. I am fairly certain there is a Camogie group up there as well, but I barely get time to use the restroom with privacy, so unfortunately two hours of travel time in a day to join them is out of the question. It looks like a ton of fun, though and super competitive.
    [/quote]

It's a pretty tough game at times, but the rules have been tightened somewhat. A LOT of players wear helmets now, which somewhat dimished your field vision and slows the game down a little, I think. Still a crackin game though. Much better to play than watch.
    Very few amateur sports can get 80,000 spectators to games.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Wrestling. Cauliflower ear, spandex and man on man action. What's not to love.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I don't know. What does HE want?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Wrestling. Cauliflower ear, spandex and man on man action. What's not to love.

no decent academic institutions near us have wrestling teams...:(
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    if he his going to have that height, i'd say swimming or volleyball.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    ship him over seas to a boarding school and rugby for sure.

on a serious note, at that age i would do baseball and soccer until you find out he is coordinated enough for sports and to build up athletic ability then add in basketball and football so you have choice of what he is good at.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    BASEBALL! :heart: