help me decide what sport for my son...

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I still stand by my recommendation for Dwarf Tossing.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    mathletics
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    SteelersFan7 Posted:
    Ballet. He could partner tall ballerinas.
    Tall ballerinas like Ben Roethlisberger?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Curling.

But seriously, I had the same problem with my son. He's pretty good at every sport he tries. So I just let him try as many as he wanted. Baseball won with swimming a close second.

Let him try all the things. :drinker:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    in terms of Div. I scholarships, lacrosse is a hot sport right now for highly athletic kids who might not make it at the next level in baseball, football, or basketball, but could get a scholarship in lacrosse. kids around age 12 or 13 tend to start showing if they have an aptitude for the sport that might translate into playing in college. i knew a guy who when he was 9 or 10 that was better throwing a baseball with a lacrosse stick than he was with his hand and he ended up playing lacrosse in college and even led the country one year in goals (at Mt. St. Mary's), but that might have been back in the days of Div. IAA schools.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I hope your joking around....

amen
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    BrainyBurro Posted:
    in terms of Div. I scholarships, lacrosse is a hot sport right now for highly athletic kids who might not make it at the next level in baseball, football, or basketball, but could get a scholarship in lacrosse. kids around age 12 or 13 tend to start showing if they have an aptitude for the sport that might translate into playing in college. i knew a guy who when he was 9 or 10 that was better throwing a baseball with a lacrosse stick than he was with his hand and he ended up playing lacrosse in college and even led the country one year in goals (at Mt. St. Mary's), but that might have been back in the days of Div. IAA schools.

Yeah, LAX has slowly gained popularity for men at the college level over the past two decades. But for those of us who have little girls... this sport is growing in popularity 10 times faster for them. If you have a daughter between 2 and 8 get them involved in this and they are guaranteed a scholarship!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    But LAX is such a new game, that I don't know...
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    But LAX is such a new game, that I don't know...

new in TX maybe, but not new where i grew up.

take a look around at all of the Pac12 and Big10 programs adding Lax as scholarship sports now. Denver University made the final four a couple of years ago and that's huge for the growth of the game. i see kids out here in Colorado starting to throw around lacrosse balls on their lawns in the spring now instead of baseballs. the hotbed for the sport is always going to be NY/MD/NJ, but it's popular from VA to new england and there are lots of VERY good schools back east that have scholarships for their lax programs. the only downside is that lax and baseball seasons coincide, so he'd have to choose which spring sport he wants to play at a young age in order to get really good at one of them.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Definitely lacrosse in terms of scholarships. There's just no money ( currently ) in pro lacrosse, post college. Unless you're Paul Rabil. And at the rate Canadians are gobbling up scholarship money, it might be alot harder for your son to get a slice of the pie, when his time comes.

:wink:
  • gsnobel
    gsnobel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How about teaching him to go to school, he can become a sports attorney. No injuries and he can take care of you!
  • KoolKatJack93
    Options
    Brazilian jiu-jitsu or Mma.It teaches self discipline and control.Depending on how good he gets,he'll start earning some medals on his accomplishments
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    MMA, sign him up for early baby fights by the age of 4, he'll be pro fighting allistair overeem by the age of 12

edit: wizard above me^
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions, but what would the child wnat to do. Here's how to make the decision. Take him to ****s Sporting Goods. Look around. Show him things for every sport. Let him hold the bat, play with the football etc. He will give some sections no more than 3 seconds of his attention. But then there will be that one section that you will not be able to pry him away from. That is the sport for him.

We did that with my grandson. He spend 3 second here, 6 seconds there, and had to be pried out of the hockey section after an hour. That's what he plays. He absolutely loves it. Remember, it is NOT what you love, it is what your child loves.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Inuit mouth pulling..as long as he isn't a germaphobe.
  • KoolKatJack93
    Options
    @WisiPls And Overeem would still get knocked out from a front kick haha
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    vtizM2G.gif[
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    KID
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know. What does HE want?

He's 3. He wants his mommy, he wants to play and he wants to be clothed and fed and has high hopes of wiping his own *kitten* one day.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    I don't know. What does HE want?

He's 3. He wants his mommy, he wants to play and he wants to be clothed and fed and has high hopes of wiping his own *kitten* one day.

i'm not sure buying a donkey for his son is an option at this point.

i wonder, is there such a thing as donkey timeshares though?