THE Scale (or lack thereof) Challenge (round 2)

Options
So we did this back in November, and for me, it worked out GREAT! I know it worked for a few others too.
Summary:
THE SCALE, it strikes fear into the heart of millions of adults every day! Yet, like a drug, we turn to it every day hoping it will give us a number lower then yesterday! Checking the scale on a daily or even weekly basis can turn your life into a little slice of hell, it can demoralize you, or pump up you sky high. I'm here to tell everyone, YOU DON'T NEED IT.
Seriously though, the scale is a tool, like a measuring tape, or a pair of calipers for body fat %. The every day bathroom scale is neither accurate (in many cases), or necessary. The scale, if used properly, is a general measurement tool that you can use to keep monthly tabs on your weight, and maybe to compare it to your other indicators of health like measurements, body fat %, and general feeling of health.
To that end, I challenge everyone out there to join me and for 1 month DON'T LOOK. Don't fool yourself, if you weigh-in 2, 3, or even 7 times a week, this is HARD! But I'll bet you a pretty penny, that when you are done with it, not only will you be broken of the stranglehold the scale has on you, but you will also see a marked improvement in your attitude because you aren't bouncing between highs and lows based on what the scale says.

So If you want to join for a month, or 3 weeks, or even 2 weeks, post here, and we will all fight the monster that is the scale together! I will post daily updates (or try at least, of my progress, and I hope others will too.)

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    So we did this back in November, and for me, it worked out GREAT! I know it worked for a few others too.
    Summary:
    THE SCALE, it strikes fear into the heart of millions of adults every day! Yet, like a drug, we turn to it every day hoping it will give us a number lower then yesterday! Checking the scale on a daily or even weekly basis can turn your life into a little slice of hell, it can demoralize you, or pump up you sky high. I'm here to tell everyone, YOU DON'T NEED IT.
    Seriously though, the scale is a tool, like a measuring tape, or a pair of calipers for body fat %. The every day bathroom scale is neither accurate (in many cases), or necessary. The scale, if used properly, is a general measurement tool that you can use to keep monthly tabs on your weight, and maybe to compare it to your other indicators of health like measurements, body fat %, and general feeling of health.
    To that end, I challenge everyone out there to join me and for 1 month DON'T LOOK. Don't fool yourself, if you weigh-in 2, 3, or even 7 times a week, this is HARD! But I'll bet you a pretty penny, that when you are done with it, not only will you be broken of the stranglehold the scale has on you, but you will also see a marked improvement in your attitude because you aren't bouncing between highs and lows based on what the scale says.

So If you want to join for a month, or 3 weeks, or even 2 weeks, post here, and we will all fight the monster that is the scale together! I will post daily updates (or try at least, of my progress, and I hope others will too.)
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I didn't join in November so I'll do it now.. I guess :indifferent: :tongue:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm in too. Not a scale fan anyway.:grumble:
  • lashonda
    lashonda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Just took the batteries out of the scale.
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    Well Banks I am in... though this will be harder than just taking a baseball bat to the scale... I have my normal weigh in tomorrow... after that I will not weigh in for a month... I'll post stats and goals tomorrow...
    Good Luck to everyone...
    Jenn
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Banks.. I have two 21/2 more weeks at the biggest loser and then I will jump in for the last two weeks!

Good Luck to Everyone!!!
  • sebmsu
    sebmsu Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm in I HATE MY SCALE!
  • banks1850
    Options
    BUMP. Is this it??? Thanks to all you guys that have. Cmon people, you KNOW you're addicted to the scale. Take the leap, it won't kill you, I promise. Get off that scale and come join us in FREEDOM!

LOL, I sound like a used car salesman.:embarassed:
  • liigaa
    liigaa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do not have scale in dormitory, so I weigh in very rarely - maybe once in 2 weeks if even that often. And every time I do check in, I see my progress.
    Not sticking to the scale, but trusting my feelings. And the mirror :)
  • dorietwo
    dorietwo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I really need some motivation, yesterday I exercised twice for 45 minutes and 30 minutes, by walking fast and uphill, I usually just exercise 1 time a day for 45 minutes and keep my calories around at 1200 to 1400, and still the scale won' t budge, and I drank 8 oz of water also. any ideas would really be appreciated.
    thanks Dorietwo
  • banks1850
    Options
    Hi
    I really need some motivation, yesterday I exercised twice for 45 minutes and 30 minutes, by walking fast and uphill, I usually just exercise 1 time a day for 45 minutes and keep my calories around at 1200 to 1400, and still the scale won' t budge, and I drank 8 oz of water also. any ideas would really be appreciated.
    thanks Dorietwo

Yes, join our challenge. Forget the scale!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in. Weight isn't my goal anyways, its to look how I want. If I weighed 700 lbs and looked good naked I'd be perfectly happy :)
  • banks1850
    Options
    I'm totally in. Weight isn't my goal anyways, its to look how I want. If I weighed 700 lbs and looked good naked I'd be perfectly happy :)

LOL, to be 12 feet tall...*sigh*
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the scale!!! :sad: That like asking a smoker not to smoke :smokin:

I totally agree with you, so many forget how one's weight can not only go up and down for so many reason, that true weight loss in not always in the scale read out.

I will join everyone but with one minor exception. I have to weigh in at the V.A. every Weds as part of their routine, but will do my best not to look at the read out. :grumble:

JP
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in. I have to weigh on the 1st & 15th of the month for another challenge, but my goal will be only on those days. It's gonna be tough! :ohwell:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I want to, I really want to, but this is what i'm scared of. I don't weigh in for a month, then comes weigh in day, I jump on all excited and don't see a loss. :ohwell: I know that sounds stupid, but i'm an addicted weigher. I weigh every morning and every night to see the difference. It is my motivator and my enemy all at once. When I see a loss, I am so happy I could run on the treadmill for hours, but when I don't see a loss, I feel like crying the entire day.

I'm scared to join. It's like taking crack away from a crack addict. :grumble:
  • banks1850
    Options
    I want to, I really want to, but this is what i'm scared of. I don't weigh in for a month, then comes weigh in day, I jump on all excited and don't see a loss. :ohwell: I know that sounds stupid, but i'm an addicted weigher. I weigh every morning and every night to see the difference. It is my motivator and my enemy all at once. When I see a loss, I am so happy I could run on the treadmill for hours, but when I don't see a loss, I feel like crying the entire day.

I'm scared to join. It's like taking crack away from a crack addict. :grumble:

All the more reason. It shouldn't matter to you what you see when you get on. If you know you're right in your nutrition and exercise, then the scale should be incidental, the fact that it isn't for most of us is just a sign that we need to "move away from the scale".
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    This is the best challenge. I know it helped me then and still helps me now.
    YEAH:flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Okay I will commit (sp? too lazy to check) to 2 weeks and see how it goes from there. If after two weeks I feel like I can go another two weeks, i'll do it. So starting right now I will not weigh in until May 1.

Someone Hold Me. :sick:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I really want to do this but I gave the scale a break for 2 weeks and the outcome sucked!!! :( I was actually going to weigh every day for a week (for once) to see just how my weight fluctuates so that maybe I won't be so stressed during my weekly weigh!

I don't know. I really need to buy a measuring tape I guess and get on that to see! I mean, 2 weeks ago I bought jeans (around the same time I had weighed last).....and I had to buy a belt for them 2 days ago because they were getting baggy! I mean, scientific fact MUST be at play there SOMEWHERE!! LOL!! STUPID SCALE!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT!!!!