How is the gov. shutdown affecting you specifically?

Options

Replies

• neekosmith
    neekosmith Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My dad is currently furloughed and I have to deal with him sending me webcam pictures all day while I am at work.
    That is about the extent of my shutdown impact.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My dad is currently furloughed and I have to deal with him sending me webcam pictures all day while I am at work.
    That is about the extent of my shutdown impact.

LOL, that's funny. Not that he is furloughed, just the way you said that!
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Day 7 without a paycheck

That is all
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    cant get on the census site to get my tariff codes. then I remembered that I had them all written down.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My husband is suppose to get paid (military) but we hear he wont get all of it which will make it where we cant pay all our bills. So very nervous.

So sorry to hear that. Your husband, as a military member, should get first dibs. It's not the way it is, since the pissing contest going on between our elected officials is at an all time high.

Thanks. I feel bad cause he is so stressed while working away from home because his money might not pay for everything. Hard when your only 1 income!

Creditors are working with the people directly affected by the government shutdown. As a government employee, I was off work for 4 days (without pay) and have, as of today, been brought back to work assuming that we will get paid under the Pay the Military Act that was passed last week (I work for DoD). We were told to submit our furlough letters to our creditors if we fear we cannot pay our bills on time - that is supposed to protect us from negative credit actions.

Our pay is currently frozen - as in, we're working but not being paid until things blow over, at which time we're supposed to get back pay - but with all things related to the government owing you money, you sit and wait an indefinite amount of time before it is provided.

I also have a service connected disability and receive disability checks from the VA monthly. I heard our next disability check is in the same limbo as our paychecks. I may be submitting my furlough letter to my mortgager before too long.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Day 7 without a paycheck

That is all

Luck you... I'm on Day 1 Back to Work Without a Paycheck... I'd rather be at home without a paycheck.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I just logged onto the FTC's website to do some legal research. I was able to see the page I needed for approximately a second before I was greeted with a pop-up message telling me that "the FTC is closed due to the government shutdown." I couldn't navigate the page any further, even though what I wanted was obviously still up, since I actually saw it.

Somebody did this on purpose. #shutdowntheater #itsaseriesoftubes
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am currently on furlough from my government contractor job at the Kennedy Space Center. While I have about three weeks vacation that I can draw on, that's the problem. I have only three week's vacation.

I feel that the government shutdown is wrong and I am going to leave it at that since we are not supposed to make political comments on www.myfitnesspal.com.

This situation is quite depressing.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    move to CANADA where things are done right.
  • cdmalmrose
    cdmalmrose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can finally take a break from paying taxes for those on welfare that abuses it.:devil:
    No, Congress is still getting paid.

LMAO ... good one!
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    IF GOV'T SHUT DOWN IS IMPACTING YOU THEN YOU RELY TO MUCH ON THE GOV'T!!!!!! (there are some exceptions, but you get my point)
    Well, gosh darn it, you're right. I should be inspecting my own shrimp for safety. My mother shouldn't be delivering Meals on Wheels to seniors. And my friend should never have joined the army.
  • tamerita48
    tamerita48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Working same amount of hours, with no pay. :-( Sucks...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I can finally take a break from paying taxes for those on welfare that abuses it.:devil:

Like all those lazy farmers who get subsidies?

Don't get me started on farmers who get subsidies... :-/
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've never paid a lot of attention to the workings of the government or politics in general before, but the shutdown and Obamacare has made me open my eyes and pull my head out of the sand to what's going on. It sickens me we live in a country where you are forced to buy health insurance or be penalized, and I'm worried about the long and short-term economic impact that Obamacare as well as the shutdown will have on your future.. ie not only govt jobs, but our stocks, 401Ks, etc..
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    No affect whatsoever other than me finally convincing my wife to get her resume out there to other industries so she isn't dependent on the government as her client.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It has been good for my normal facebook addiction. Most of my friends are either government workers or in the military(my hubby is Navy) and my feed has gotten so annoying and repetitive that I just don't really go on there as much as I usually do. Other than that it hasn't really affected us much, our bank will loan us our normal amount if we don't get paid right away so I guess it's all good. Irritating that our country is having such huge problems, but hasn't really affected me all that much luckily.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I work for Texas Dept of Agriculture, and half of our money comes from the Farm Bill and other federal grants. It's hard to prevent plant disease and pest infestations without money to buy trapping supplies.
  • Korkor90
    Korkor90 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I receive WIC for my two children. Which provides us with milk, egg, cheese, cereal and bread but now i dont get it so i will have to fiure other ways to make money so i can afford those things into my budget.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    For me, although I am not currently being furloughed, I am still paying the price. I am having to basically work for free until after the budget is signed and then they are supposed to back pay us... Sure hope so, but on top of that, I lost someone very near and dear to me this week and in order for me to go to their funeral tomorrow, I will be forced to take "leave without pay" even though I have plenty of leave on the books to cover and I will NOT be reimbursed for that. Obviously with not getting paid but having to work none-the-less, my family is paying the price as well both financially and emotionally.

How are you directly affected by the shutdown?

Be glad you're not in the private sector. We've been hit hard for the past 5 years. I never read how terrible it is for them though, they just hunker down and find a new job or get a new career, which many have. For some reason government workers being furloughed is cause for worldwide mourning. Maybe because it's political mourning?? As far as I can tell, the Dems won't negotiate with anything that doesn't fully fund obamacare, and the majority of the country thinks that will crash the economy. The TV man may claim otherwise but that's generally the case. Maybe move to the private sector, join the those of us whose taxes prop up this massive growing government.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For me, although I am not currently being furloughed, I am still paying the price. I am having to basically work for free until after the budget is signed and then they are supposed to back pay us... Sure hope so, but on top of that, I lost someone very near and dear to me this week and in order for me to go to their funeral tomorrow, I will be forced to take "leave without pay" even though I have plenty of leave on the books to cover and I will NOT be reimbursed for that. Obviously with not getting paid but having to work none-the-less, my family is paying the price as well both financially and emotionally.

How are you directly affected by the shutdown?

Be glad you're not in the private sector. We've been hit hard for the past 5 years. I never read how terrible it is for them though, they just hunker down and find a new job or get a new career, which many have. For some reason government workers being furloughed is cause for worldwide mourning. Maybe because it's political mourning?? As far as I can tell, the Dems won't negotiate with anything that doesn't fully fund obamacare, and the majority of the country thinks that will crash the economy. The TV man may claim otherwise but that's generally the case. Maybe move to the private sector, join the those of us whose taxes prop up this massive growing government.

Government workers pay taxes also.