How is the gov. shutdown affecting you specifically?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    So far it hasn't affected me directly but I know it's just a matter of time.

On a not-that-important note, my fiancé and I are getting married in two weeks and our wedding trip was supposed to include two park sites that will probably be shut down because of it :-/

Yeah, if this shutdown lasts two more weeks, we'll have more to worry about than closed park sites. Namely, a possible default.
  • fox357dk
    Options
    Spot on. Our toddler's nanny has a very select & small group of toddler she's holds daycare for & she has not been paid. She was just talking about how she uses her gov payments to purchase all of her food & supplies for the toddlers. She is going into her savings to provide these things & not burden the already paying & stretched parents. She is 60 yrs old & it is sad that she is having to use some of her savings to keep her business she takes pride in, running while Congress gets their freaking act together. SMH
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't work for the Government but a lot of my family does and there are a few that got furloughed. I am more worried about the fact that we have such a dysfunctional government that it had to shut down and that most of my fellow Americans seem unconcerned. I think it is our apathy about our country and it's leaders that got us in this trouble to begin with.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    BFF's husband is out of work. She's a stay at home with 3 kids. If they didn't have a small nest-egg...they'd be SOL.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I'm a little worried that I'll have to dip into my savings if I don't get paid. (Air Force)

All military gets paid.

ETA: From one Airman to another, thank you for your service. :-)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If this happened in the private sector, it wouldn't make news. In small businesses everywhere, owners and employees alike have been going without paychecks in the interest of keeping the business afloat.

I know, not a direct response to the topic, but this happens every day to Americans, and it doesn't make the news. We should be worried about everyone who is out of work or underpaid/not paid, not just those in the public sector.

We need a MASSIVE reform of the government.
  • seniorbug2003
    seniorbug2003 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who boyfried is being deployed this weekend. If we dont have a government then why do people still have to go to war?
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am sad to hear all of your stories. I know given enough time it really will affect all Americans in one way or another. YOu may not see it right away but somewhere down the road it will hurt. I am fearful of the way this country is headed and how my kids will pay the price for the actions of those selfish arogant politicians that cannot seem to do right by their country and the American people who gave them the privelidge of the job they are in.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I have a friend who boyfried is being deployed this weekend. If we dont have a government then why do people still have to go to war?

Unfortunately political unrest will still be happening overseas whether America's government is shut down or not.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options

he's cheating
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I haven't been specifically affected by the shut down, other than being completely annoyed at how this damn country is being ran. I have been laid off 3 times in 3 years after holding my last long term job for 5.5 years. Corporate America doesn't give a **** about its employees any longer and small business can't afford to keep there door open. Its friggin ridiculous! Unemployment in my state is out of control and I am evidently over qualified for most jobs available. Companies would rather pay an under-qualified person working for them for less money than a competant qualified counterpart at a higher rate. *kitten* BACKWARDS!

thankfully I don't have children to pass this mess along too!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am more worried about the fact that we have such a dysfunctional government that it had to shut down and that most of my fellow Americans seem unconcerned. I think it is our apathy about our country and it's leaders that got us in this trouble to begin with.

^^^THIS^^^
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I haven't been specifically affected by the shut down, other than being completely annoyed at how this damn country is being ran. I have been laid off 3 times in 3 years after holding my last long term job for 5.5 years. Corporate America doesn't give a **** about its employees any longer and small business can't afford to keep there door open. Its friggin ridiculous! Unemployment in my state is out of control and I am evidently over qualified for most jobs available. Companies would rather pay an under-qualified person working for them for less money than a competant qualified counterpart at a higher rate. *kitten* BACKWARDS!

thankfully I don't have children to pass this mess along too!

we could change that last part.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

he's cheating

lol....
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    For me, although I am not currently being furloughed, I am still paying the price. I am having to basically work for free until after the budget is signed and then they are supposed to back pay us... Sure hope so, but on top of that, I lost someone very near and dear to me this week and in order for me to go to their funeral tomorrow, I will be forced to take "leave without pay" even though I have plenty of leave on the books to cover and I will NOT be reimbursed for that. Obviously with not getting paid but having to work none-the-less, my family is paying the price as well both financially and emotionally.

How are you directly affected by the shutdown?

Be glad you're not in the private sector. We've been hit hard for the past 5 years. I never read how terrible it is for them though, they just hunker down and find a new job or get a new career, which many have. For some reason government workers being furloughed is cause for worldwide mourning. Maybe because it's political mourning?? As far as I can tell, the Dems won't negotiate with anything that doesn't fully fund obamacare, and the majority of the country thinks that will crash the economy. The TV man may claim otherwise but that's generally the case. Maybe move to the private sector, join the those of us whose taxes prop up this massive growing government.

Government workers pay taxes also.

...oooooon money that came from taxes that came from people working in the private sector. Taking water from one end of the pool and dumping it in the other doesn't fill the pool, especially if the bucket has holes in it.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If this happened in the private sector, it wouldn't make news. In small businesses everywhere, owners and employees alike have been going without paychecks in the interest of keeping the business afloat.

I know, not a direct response to the topic, but this happens every day to Americans, and it doesn't make the news. We should be worried about everyone who is out of work or underpaid/not paid, not just those in the public sector.

We need a MASSIVE reform of the government.

THANK YOU for using logic.
    good-job.gif
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I do not work for the government in any way and can tell you it is already started to affect even those of us that don't. It would be difficult to explain how, but basically: the company I work for receives money from their corporate office, whom receives their money from grants and/or loans and that money comes from the government. So, it has already trickled down the vine and I have been temporarily laid off until funding is available.
    My husband, who is currently, luckily, still working full time could be effected if this continues and/or they really start analyzing budget and cease to fund any project they feel in unnecessary. He does construction and has had lots of federal projects lately and some coming up in the future (which could be totally removed at any time now.)