Does anyone else find entering everything they eat annoying?

Options

Replies

• jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Who said "kids sleep"? Somebody who never had to breastfeed a 4-month-old, I guarantee! :wink:

My baby is 4 months old, and he is the youngest of 8. My diary is public and if you go look (don't bother, because) you will see LOTS of missing days or days only half done. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet, so all my logging has to be done on this old PC, and yes.. it is slow, not portable, in short it is a PITA. But I keep trying and just the action of logging in daily (even if I don't complete my diary) helps me stay mindful and motivated.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The food scanner: Its at the top right of food selections ... you scan the bar code of any food product and it will find that item and you just hit the 'enter' button. (At least on my Android it works that way).

I find a couple minutes after each meal to log. This way I don't forget what I ate and can stay on track all day.
    I do not see how people 'pre log' what they eat or their workout as things change from day-to-day. Some are just more focused I am guessing. :laugh:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    no, because it takes all of two seconds. I either use my phone or my computer. I also weigh everything, even my take out, and that only adds about 2 minutes to the process. efficiency is key.
  • amanxanbreo
    Options
    The free My Fitness Pal app has the scanner.... if you go to "Add Food" up at the very top right corner there is a little picture of a bar code..... if you click on that it gives you a scanner and just scan away. I scan and track breakfast and lunch at the same time. That way the only thing I have to worry about is dinner and I enter that as I am eating.

It isn't easy, but well worth it in the end
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't find it annoying. I use the app. I log ahead if I know what I'm eating later so I know how many calories I have left for other meals and snacks.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Logging isn't always easy, especially with children. For me, it's a lot easier to pre-plan my meals so I can log them when I have some down time. For example, I log my foods for the next day at night time when my daughter is asleep. Or when I'm at work, I'll log my dinner for that night so I don't have to worry about logging it when I get home. You just have to stick to it and develop a routine, just like with anything else. Good luck!
  • rhrobuchak
    Options
    If there is a particular meal I eat often, I set it up as a "Recipe", that way I only have to log 1 item vs multiple searches.
  • stargirlll
    stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think that the more you do it, the more you actually WANT to do it. I look forward to planning my meals a day ahead because it sets me up for a perfect day! I really recommend it, but most people make excuses. Everyone has time. E V E R Y O N E. I find time in between working daily, MMA classes, my own regular training, prepping meals, cleaning -- life in general is busy. And I find a hell of a lot of time, too! I just do it while I have those moments to relax or while I'm laying in bed. We all do these things at least once a day. Make the time and your body will treat you well back :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Write it down and add later. Keep paper in the kitchen & write down ingredients and then do a mass add later on in the day or even the next day. You can do it - it's worth the time! Good luck :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I spend a LOT more time showering, using the toilet, brushing my teeth, doing laundry, and other basic "taking care of myself" tasks. I'm sure if I wore glasses or contacts I would also spend more time dealing with those than I do counting calories.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    When I'm busy preparing meals etc I scribble things down on a notepad (e.g. 20 toms for 20 grams of tomatoes etc) and then enter it all when I get a moment. As others have said, once you enter stuff a lot it becomes quick as it's in your favourites.

The good thing about logging being annoying is sometimes I won't eat something because I can't be bothered to look it up and log it - makes you think twice about how much you really want to each things.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Not as annoying as being fat and not being able to wear cute clothes.

My sister says the same thing, and refuses to join MFP, claiming it's "too much work" to log her food. I'm like, ok, then, stay fat.

If you're truly committed, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A good idea is to have your camera phone near you and take pics of everything that is gonna go in your mouth.Then when you got time at the end of the day log it on your computer.Its easy as 1,2,3.......... hope this helps :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    For me it helps to eat a lot of the same things, build meals and recipes which makes it easier to log, instead of logging each individual item. It also allows me to preplan.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I want to thank each and every one of you for your valuable input! I have the motivation now to get back to it with a new found perspective! it's never easy starting a new routine but once established life will be good again. <3

Especially with a new baby. :-) I have a five month old, and she IS a handful at times. I just log everything I can at one time, and if it's a big meal like dinner, I just don't have dessert or a snack until I've logged dinner. If it doesn't get logged until 10pm when I'm getting ready for bed, well then I guess that means no dessert that night!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Who said "kids sleep"? Somebody who never had to breastfeed a 4-month-old, I guarantee! :wink:

Um, what? Four month olds don't sleep? What are you on, lol? They sleep ALL THE TIME, especially after breastfeeding.

It is NOT that hard. It takes all of three minutes to log food. I did it every day for an entire year with my infant while simultaneously babysitting my VERY active then-two year old niece. Make it a priority (right after the kids' care of course) and you'll make it happen.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes it's annoying, but it works if you do it.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I've made MFP a 'social' netowrk of choice.. Although it's not REALLY a social network, I treat it as one. Therefor when I have free time, i'm on it to track my foods and make friendly connections :)
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it at all. I usually plan my meals for the day so I know if I've reached my calorie limit and if I can have more or less. It doesn't take long and is so helpful, I honestly don't think I would have been half as successful without logging.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I log everything I'm going to eat for the day in the morning in about 10 min. It helps me stay on track too since I have to have a plan.