Official Nightshift thread!!!

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Hey! So glad I found this thread!! I work at a bar as well, as a bouncer actually, and my biggest challenge is getting off work at 3 or 4am and having to drive home 30 mins from the bar without eating! I'm usually tired and aggravated (drunken idiots have that effect) and eating something tends to keep me awake in the car - problem is that zombie-eating when you are exhausted usually leads to OVER-eating. By a lot! I always bring a snack and portion it out, but I shouldn't be eating if I'm not hungry. Anyone else have this problem?

Oh and great thread :) Yay for NOT working the 9-5! It's so nice to have my days all to myself!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    meaga, i def know the zombie, mindless eating feeling.. however that ususally happens when i get into my, i'm bored so i may as well eat, phase.. ugh i hate it. half the time i'm not really hungry, and really just looking for something to keep myself occupied i guess. i've gotten better with it, but come the weekends, sometimes it's hard to fight off... and welcome!!
  • AsMama
    AsMama Posts: 12
    Options
    I work 12 hour nights too. They usually turn into 13 to 14 hour shifts. Depending on the patient load. I agree no families, docs or administration. It is nice to be able to do your job without most of the politics. I run all night. It keeps me busy. I calculated the last week that I have walked for something like 10 hours or more a shift. I was excited that I got a luch break! It is hard but the money is good. Good luck on your weight loss.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well my 8 days off turned into working for a sick co-worker, at least the money is good. An extra 27 hours of call-in pay will pad the next check.

I think this weekend is going to be a bad food weekend, we are going out both friday and saterday, Plus it's my husbands birthday so I have to bake him a cake. :sick:
  • Jessifer123
    Options
    Hi everyone! Its been a bit busy tonight. Welcome to all the new members :flowerforyou: I also love the "Vampire Edition" LOL
  • suzie1983
    Options
    im all about the vampire edition...would be great...gives me something to do at night when its slow...welcome to all the new members
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am really impressed that so many of you vampires can go work out after your shift! I feel like I can barely stay awake for the ride home. I'm sure the gym would be a total disaster...probably some bad elliptical accident, or mistaking the yoga mat for a mattress:)
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, and welcome, new vampires! I dont like working Fri nights, I should be oput doing something fun, but atleast it keeps me outta trouble!!
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I am new here and work a crazy shift, 3pm-3am!! Its nice to know i am not the only one balancing diet with crazy hours.
  • suzie1983
    Options
    i agree dont like working friday nites...should be out having fun
  • allie7383
    Options
    the only good thing about working the weekends is that it keeps me from going out and spending money and calories lol. any fellow vamps working this weekend?
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm not working tonight! Wahoo! I'm spending it with a cup of tea on the couch catching up on Grey's Anatomy!

Phew - just got back home from visiting family in Maine. Looong drive. Luckily my Mom feed me before I left, so I didn't eat on the road, which is HUGE for me. Usually I plan the whole drive around which fastfood joint I'll hit up. I did okay this weekend, I wish I could have gotten more excerise in. I did Zumba once, but that was it because it was raining SOOO much. My body was out of wack because I was getting up early (11am ish) but still going to bed fairly late (4am ish) so I was up for so long my stomach felt like it was constantly hungry!

Hope you all have had some good days at work or at home too!. And welcome to all the new people on the thread. Hard to believe I was just discovering the thread a few weeks ago. I feel so at home here!
  • Jessifer123
    Options
    Me!! I've been working weekend for a while now, and agreed I spend less money and take in less calories. My schedule may change in a few months to have off Fri and Sat night and the girls are already starting "We can go out more often" LOL
  • allie7383
    Options
    haha yeah i hear ya on that jess! i was just saying to one friend on thurs that i wasn't really in the mood to go out.. if anything to the movies, but not to drink.. and what happened? we went to my fave martini place where i proceeded to have 2 drinks which i'm sure were not calorie friendly.. does it count as a fruit serving if i had pear puree in one?? :tongue:
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    OOO I totally hear BOTH of you with the drink thing. I cut out wine when I really started tracking calories a few weeks ago. I had two glasses last night and it was worth EVERY calorie! Yum!

And yes, i think that totally counts as a fruit allie! ;)
  • suzie1983
    Options
    I agree it counts as a fruit!!!!! It does help me save on calories and money working on the weekend that is for sure. No more shots with the girls...plus it makes when i do go out a little more justified...sorta like im treating myself....anywho...everyone have a great remaining weekend...its my friday woo hoo...too bad i have to do laundry and clean the apt...grrr
  • allie7383
    Options
    hahaha thanks guys! yes i agree suzie.. i work every other weekend, so when i do get the opportunity to go out, i really want to enjoy myself.. granted i won't go vrazy and have an entire cheese pizza or anything, but i know if i endulge i can make it up the next day... p.s.. i'm at a bit of a plateau right now and the week has been sooo frustrating! i'm hoping the start of TurboFire will get things going again. Today is my rest day from it, so i think i'll just jog.. hope everyone is having good weather!!
  • Jessifer123
    Options
    Yes Allie I think it definitly counts as fruit :smile: ! I love a good martini too, me and my girls are going out next week and i'm sure i'll have one or two....will have to be careful about what I eat that day and make sure to get plenty of exercise in but it will be worth it :drinker:
  • allie7383
    Options
    haha i knew it had to count for something! while we were at this place, my friend ordered this strawberry shortcake martini, made with.... whipped cream vodka!! what?? omg i thought the sweet tea kind was fantastic, but this just pushed itself into first place lol. i may need to go get some this week!
  • dindivt
    dindivt Posts: 21
    Options
    Hello night shifters, I am back on my regular shift after being off for a long weekend and like a fool I switched to a day schedule and finding it very hard to get back into my eating at night and not during the day schedule. The only good thing about being off was that I cut way back on my soda consumption and up'd my water so there is a small trade off. Now just to get back into my groove...