Official Nightshift thread!!!

Options

Replies

• Beautifylgirl
    Beautifylgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also work nightshift but I only work 3 days a week,14 hour shifts! Talk about wacking up your sleep schedule. I work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and then pretty much sleep all day Friday. The rest of the week I'm on a normal schedule but my eating habits change enough to make loosing weight hard. I am happy a 24 he gym recently opened up by me but trying to get the energy on my workdays to work out is hard .
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    I have been on night shift for many years now, I think its somewhere around 6 years, before that was 4 on 2nd shift and 3 on 3rds. Its true, you never get used to it... But, I was always a night owl so it works for me ok but the home life is hard at times and fed into my general unhealthy life style. More or less it led to me being very sedentary.

Oh night shift, my love/hate relationship.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Approaching the middle of the shift now. As usual the lab is cold, but we gotta keep the babies (the insturments) happy so hopefully the shivering will burn off some calories haha... I just watched Oprah on my break and it was an old episode about people with incredible weight loss stories, very motivating. After seeing these people who lost 100, 200, and 300+ pounds, the natural way, it makes me hopeful that I can lose what I want if I just keep my mind focused. Also, over the hour I had for break I got in my 8 glasses of water for the day! We were doing a Biggest Loser Challenge here and have our final weigh in at 7am.. Yesterday I went out for both lunch (Italian) and dinner (sushi) and I know I went well over my calories, ugh! I just keep thinking, we can't be perfect all the time, it is life!
  • sjmandrew
    Options
    Hi, I'm a nurse too so work the dreaded night shift too (12.5 hrs about 8 times a month). Had to respond to this:
    And so it has happened. I had a night off last night, and my whole diet went down the toilet. When you work the night shift, you never get to go out and have fun with your friends. So last night, I had it off so my friends naturally wanted to have a great night while I was there. We had a few drinks and ended up finding free Coldstone ice cream. I ended up racking up over 2400 calories yesterday from the alcohol, juice mixers and then the 500 calorie coldstone treat. How do you balance having a great time with your friends and still be on a diet?!! Once again the night shift has ruined my diet... this time not by working at night, but but working so many nights that I get deprived of a normal night life! Just needed to rant about my complete lack of self-control last night. I feel so awful :( How do you have a normal social life and work nights? I'm in college and everyone has class during the day and relaxes at night. Is this just a sacrifice I'm going to have to make? No social life in exchange for a job and a healthier life style? How do you make a decision like that? Am I just being silly? Any thoughts?

I agree that you mustn't beat yourself up over this. Dieting is important but you have to enjoy your life in the mean time - otherwise you spend your whole life on hold, waiting to start living when you're 'thin'. I got a new job that I really wanted and my boyfriend took me to a beautiful restaurant to celebrate and racked up an estimated 3000calories but I went to the gym and was super careful with what I ate the rest of the week and still lost weight. You can too!! Don't give up!

All work, no play, being hungry and then guilty is not a good recipe! Just get back on the horse. Good luck x x
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Approaching the middle of the shift now. As usual the lab is cold, but we gotta keep the babies (the insturments) happy so hopefully the shivering will burn off some calories haha... I just watched Oprah on my break and it was an old episode about people with incredible weight loss stories, very motivating. After seeing these people who lost 100, 200, and 300+ pounds, the natural way, it makes me hopeful that I can lose what I want if I just keep my mind focused. Also, over the hour I had for break I got in my 8 glasses of water for the day! We were doing a Biggest Loser Challenge here and have our final weigh in at 7am.. Yesterday I went out for both lunch (Italian) and dinner (sushi) and I know I went well over my calories, ugh! I just keep thinking, we can't be perfect all the time, it is life!

I love love love sushi...and always thought it was good for me...well, not the spicy kind or crunchy kind that I like! Might as well eat a big mac...but guess sushi has more vitamins and things :smile:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    hate working fri nights...everyone out having fun....except me!!! :angry:
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    hate working fri nights...everyone out having fun....except me!!! :angry:

AGREED!!! Friday nights drag on forEVER! I used to work sat nights too but couldn't handle it anymore and told them I need one night a week with my family and to feel human
  • allie7383
    Options
    Agreed as well on the Friday nights on.. totally sucks, especially b/c we're slow.

My friend and I usually go out for sushi once a week, though I think those days are going to be my splurge days b/c I love the spicy crunchy ones, and the spicy mayo, forget it! lol

It's my weekend off yay! Def gotta get in the exercise later b/c we're going to a biergarten at night.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    : I start back to work tonight after being off for 6 weeks. I got up at 7:30 am and probably won't get back to sleep until tomorrow at 8:30. I just have never been able to nap. Usually my first night back I end up being awake for at least 26 hours. Anyone else have that problem? I always feel really good though until the minute I walk out of the building. I once feel asleep at the wheel and I only live 5 minutes away. Now my hubby picks me up, LOL. Wish me luck.

Oh, I usually do better on my eating when I am at work. I pack my lunch and bring no money so can't get snacks.
  • KnightOwl
    Options
    Hi, I'm a nurse too so work the dreaded night shift too (12.5 hrs about 8 times a month). Had to respond to this:
    And so it has happened. I had a night off last night, and my whole diet went down the toilet. When you work the night shift, you never get to go out and have fun with your friends. So last night, I had it off so my friends naturally wanted to have a great night while I was there. We had a few drinks and ended up finding free Coldstone ice cream. I ended up racking up over 2400 calories yesterday from the alcohol, juice mixers and then the 500 calorie coldstone treat. How do you balance having a great time with your friends and still be on a diet?!! Once again the night shift has ruined my diet... this time not by working at night, but but working so many nights that I get deprived of a normal night life! Just needed to rant about my complete lack of self-control last night. I feel so awful :( How do you have a normal social life and work nights? I'm in college and everyone has class during the day and relaxes at night. Is this just a sacrifice I'm going to have to make? No social life in exchange for a job and a healthier life style? How do you make a decision like that? Am I just being silly? Any thoughts?

I agree that you mustn't beat yourself up over this. Dieting is important but you have to enjoy your life in the mean time - otherwise you spend your whole life on hold, waiting to start living when you're 'thin'. I got a new job that I really wanted and my boyfriend took me to a beautiful restaurant to celebrate and racked up an estimated 3000calories but I went to the gym and was super careful with what I ate the rest of the week and still lost weight. You can too!! Don't give up!

All work, no play, being hungry and then guilty is not a good recipe! Just get back on the horse. Good luck x x

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I am keeping my chin up and not qutting! I just wish the pounds would come off faster.. Damn impatience. :-p 3am is approaching... the department is quiet and I've got the munchies! Good thing I brought some fresh frruit! Yummmm :)
  • ahmmurphy
    Options
    Soooo grateful to have found this thread!!!!! I also work permanent nights, 1930 to 0730hrs. I also work the 3-2-2-3 scenario. I'm a nurse as well. I was off a couple of years ago with a back injury & during that time off (I was off for a year in total) I was able to lose 50lbs (most of that lost in the last 5-6 mths I was off). I totally attribute it to living a "normal" life......going to bed at a decent hour, getting a good nights sleep, getting up at a decent hour, eating three squares plus snacks. Since starting the nights again I feel totally drained all the time. On top of the 12 hr shift, I have at least an hour commute to and from work, so I feel its nearly impossible to exercise on days that I have to work. My 12 hr nights turn into 14+ hr nights. I am just soooooo frustrated with feeling so drained, exhausted, sleepy, etc,etc all the time. I know I feel better after walking ( I am limited to what I can do exercise-wise due to my injuries.....which I suffered during an MVA......whole other story...LOL), but I just can't seem to find the motivation to drag my butt off the couch. *Sigh*. Sorry for the rant......just find that trying to lose weight is a total uphill battle while working nght shift. Glad to know there are others out there who feel the same way :)
  • anichole85
    anichole85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work nights too! I'm a police dispatcher, I work 1900-0700. No sleeping on duty for me either since I am the only dispatcher here. Sometimes if it's slow an officer will come in and let me take a cat nap.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I work nights too! I'm a police dispatcher, I work 1900-0700. No sleeping on duty for me either since I am the only dispatcher here. Sometimes if it's slow an officer will come in and let me take a cat nap.

I was an EMS and Fire dispatcher for a few years. There were plenty of dispatchers there since it was a large metropolitan area. No sleep cause we were constantly busy. There were 4 dispatchers for police, 4 for fire, and 2 for EMS, and about 8 call takers. I really dont miss those days in the dungeon(no windows in the building). Well maybe every now and then. Officers werent really allowed in the dispatch area. And even if they were they wouldnt have the slightest idea what to do if they got a call anyway, unless they were trained on the CAD previously. Which not may of them were. Most couldnt handle it.
  • anichole85
    Options

I was an EMS and Fire dispatcher for a few years. There were plenty of dispatchers there since it was a large metropolitan area. No sleep cause we were constantly busy. There were 4 dispatchers for police, 4 for fire, and 2 for EMS, and about 8 call takers. I really dont miss those days in the dungeon(no windows in the building). Well maybe every now and then. Officers werent really allowed in the dispatch area. And even if they were they wouldnt have the slightest idea what to do if they got a call anyway, unless they were trained on the CAD previously. Which not may of them were. Most couldnt handle it.

We are a tiny dept. I have 3-4 officers on at a time and I disp for FD if they run a city call. Sheriff's Office takes over if they run county. We train rookie officers to cover disp but the Sgts usually come in.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think the police dispatchers had about 8-14 units, per dispatcher, ems 4-12 depending if one of us was taking lunch and what time of the night/day it was. Fire wasnt busy most of the time, but they could potentially have a bunch of units out also.
  • debjunti
    debjunti Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    wow, how did I miss this thread before! So, I work nightshift and if thats not bad enough I am a fulltime student and mom of 4. Just got off of work and now I'm headed to school for an 8 hour orientation, then I'll come home and sleep and then back to work tonight! Not much time for exercise today, really just hoping to eat good and get some sleep. Thanks for starting this thread, ok gotta get to class.:ohwell:
  • anichole85
    Options
    anyone else on tonight? I work sat and sun nights as well this weekend...had to send my husband (EMS) to deal with one of our frequent flyer drunks...ugh.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Please can I join? I do not work night shift, but I am overseas and I am 7 hours ahead of the East Coast and to make it worst, my work week starts on Sundays. At times, I really wish I had someone to chat with while I wait to for someone to walk into my office.
  • anichole85
    Options
    wow, how did I miss this thread before! So, I work nightshift and if thats not bad enough I am a fulltime student and mom of 4. Just got off of work and now I'm headed to school for an 8 hour orientation, then I'll come home and sleep and then back to work tonight! Not much time for exercise today, really just hoping to eat good and get some sleep. Thanks for starting this thread, ok gotta get to class.:ohwell:

um you're my hero! how on earth do you handle all of that?! I just have one kid and only work 15 out of every 30 days and think i'm going to lose it most of the time!
  • allie7383
    Options
    i'm on this whole weekend, thru monday night anichole! fun way to spend the weekend :tongue:

at least it keeps some money in my pocket!