Strange American sayings from an English Perspective

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I move that we ignore Hodor there and his American-bashing and keep having fun with our thread.
    Agreed.

I'm not even angry about it. i just find it strange that someone would create an account on a website just for that purpose. And then criticize others' life choices!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I move that we ignore Hodor there and his American-bashing and keep having fun with our thread.

Agreed.
  • ibblewibble
    Options
    rml_16: I just looked at your profile and all I needed to read was "I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian". This confirmed that you're a septic.
    FFS, if you're going to use rhyming slang, you should at least warn us! We're not clever enough to get it from context!
    And what's so septic about lacto-ovo-vegetarian?

That's the whole point of rhyming slang, you dipstick.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Why do a lot of the septics on here WRITE insignificant words in capital letters or *put* them in asterisks. It doesn't add any emphasis, it takes it away.
    Why do they describe losing weight as a journey? When you were putting on weight was that a journey too?
    Why do some of them boast about being sarcastic?
    Why have they replaced thank you very much with thank you so much?
    Why did that woman from North Carolina that I was sitting next to on a plane tell me I was going to burn in hell and that my cat didn't go to heaven? I loved that bloody cat.

Well, I was ANGRY, but now I've let it go. Thank you so much for this. *hands you beer*

I'm now ready to continue this journey with good humor, and sarcasm, and let the Hodor burn in H E double hockey sticks . . .
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    And I call 'athletic shoes' sneakers and the roundabout downtown is called the square.

I call sneakers "trainers", but in Newcastle, trainers are formal wear. Geordies love their trainers and track pants. A lot like New Jersey.

Are you a Geordie living overseas or have you just been fortunate to visit that part of the world?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Why do a lot of the septics on here WRITE insignificant words in capital letters or *put* them in asterisks. It doesn't add any emphasis, it takes it away.
    Why do they describe losing weight as a journey? When you were putting on weight was that a journey too?
    Why did that woman from North Carolina that I was sitting next to on a plane tell me I was going to burn in hell and that my cat didn't go to heaven? I loved that bloody cat.

Well, I was ANGRY, but now I've let it go. Thank you so much for this. *hands you beer*

I'm now ready to continue this journey with good humor, and sarcasm, and let the Hodor burn in H E double hockey sticks . . .

And his cat.
  • ibblewibble
    Options

1) I've never seen a septic on MFP, generally, they are large tanks of excrement below ground.
    2) Maybe the woman from NC met your cat and your cat did a lot of things that would not warrant it's entry to heaven? Just a thought...
    Well she killed a few mice and an occasional rabbit, and she once did a poo behind the sofa, but apart from that she was a loving ball of fluff. According to her no cats, even the nicest ones, go to heaven. Dogs don't go either, so that cartoon movie was based on a lie. Monkeys don't even go either (even though we've evolved from them). Her daughter (who committed suicide in some religious cult) did go to heaven though.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options

And his cat.

You beat me to it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I don't think we should call this ... whatever ... Hodor, though. I mean, Hodor is good and sweet.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    So, having said that, will someone from across the pond please post a picture of what a "flan" is? I mean the dessert, not the Browncoat kind.

Because I keep seeing it referring to this...
    13501816-strawberry-flan.jpg

Which is clearly just a fruit tart. Discuss.
  • rml_16
    Options
    So, having said that, will someone from across the pond please post a picture of what a "flan" is? I mean the dessert, not the Browncoat kind.

Flan is a Spanish custard.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Oh, I'm all aware what flan is. I live scant hours from the Mexican border. I wanna know how that fruit tart can be called a flan.
  • andiechick
    Options

OMG that looks sooooo delish, that is a very nice looking strawberry flan. A tart over here can mean something quite different indeed, we have fancy dress parties called 'vicars and tarts' hahah!!!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

^ this.

Not from the UK, but here's a pic... I think... It's been forever since I posted a pic in a thread.
    El+Flan+flan.jpg
    ETA: I :heart: flan!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Over here, across the pond, it's a custard, mostly associated with Latin American cuisine.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    OMG that looks sooooo delish, that is a very nice looking strawberry flan. A tart over here can mean something quite different indeed, we have fancy dress parties called 'vicars and tarts' hahah!!!
    You Brits and your dry sense of humor. :laugh: We got that kinda tart over here too. :wink:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, I'm all aware what flan is. I live scant hours from the Mexican border. I wanna know how that fruit tart can be called a flan.
    Got it!
    we have fancy dress parties called 'vicars and tarts' hahah!!!

Bridget Jones's Diary!

Speaking of, I never did get (while I do love her in the role) why they picked an all British cast and then made Renee Zellweger (sp?) Bridget.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Oops, I was posting that pic before you posted this... lol
  • andiechick
    Options
    You Brits and your dry sense of humor. :laugh: We got that kinda tart over here too. :wink:

To be fair most words over here, however innocent, can have an ulterior meaning :wink:
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I've always found the "maths" one confusing. Why do brits pluralize "math"? Do you say "I'm doing the sciences" too?

Sometimes ;)

Generally, I find it is 'sciences' when it comes after 'the'
    and 'science' when it does not follow 'the