Strange American sayings from an English Perspective

Options

Replies

• beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Of course us Mackams are the better part of the North East, haha!!

At least you're not a monkey hanger.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I've always known FUPA as Fat Upper Pubic Area. vs. faux pas which has been described previously.
    When I learned it it wasn't pubic, but spoon without the "s", which made it all the funnier to me! :laugh:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Saying pudding for dessert can be a bit of a regional thing, where I'm from we'll use both but if you're from 'down south' you'd probably say dessert. A typical 'pudding' for us would be something warm and stodgy served with custard like treacle sponge, jam roly poly, or you could even go for spotted d*ck, its a real pudding, honest haha!! x
    At least you get points for using real suet in your pudding. It's like pulling teeth to get my hands on suet to make mincemeat for Thanksgiving/Christmastime! Nobody carries it, and there's really no substitute.

OMG! Real Mincemeat is my favorite pie in the universe. I can't find it around here anymore. I like mine with lard and venison.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Question for you UK types.

Is the Spotted **** you get in a can any good, or should I hold out for something like someone's mom used to make?
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    We just basically call them all jam, whether it has fruit in it or not. Jelly is something we have with ice cream at kids parties x
    Well, that's really interesting. Here we usually serve ice cream and cake. Jello is not usually for parties, it's more like an weekday dessert thing. Some people put whipped cream or cool whip on top. Oh, speaking of, do y'all call that "squirty cream"? Because it's a new one for me and to be honest, sounds like something rude! :bigsmile:

Haha, yes we do have 'squirty cream' but jelly and ice cream go together like fish and chips and can come in all shapes and sizes

jellyandicecream_zpse228df82.png
  • kimswisher
    kimswisher Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    that ..or sex
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Jello is not usually for parties,

Unless it's a Jello mold. Those are yummy! And something else I can't have. :frown:
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

Sorry but did anyone bring up FUPA yet? That word fascinates me.

Assuming you mean "a socially awkward or tactless act", I think you are saying it wrong. My hubby does that. Its "faux pas" and it's a real word.
    And French!

But I wonder if FUPA is along the lines of SNAFU and FUBAR, in which case I'm not researcing on my work computer!
    Oh my, do you really not know what it stands for? "Fat Upper P--- Area" :laugh:
    You beat me to it! lol
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is true, my husband is from Seattle, and he would be so confused with the service roads at first. IN Washington, if an exit sign said "Baker Street Exit", that exit would take you directly to Baker Street, and not a service road where you turn onto Baker Street. I have never been, so I can't speak from experience, but it was interesting watching him learn how to drive in Texas.
    Oh, yeah, I remember being bewildered when I was driving in Seattle, now that you mention it! I was like, stop lights on on-ramps and off-ramps?! It's nutty!

Driving in Seattle is insane for most people, including those who live there.

I once made 4 right hand turns in downtown Seattle (trying to "go around the block"), and didn't end up in the same place I started.

The only way to drive in Seattle is with GPS!
  • kimswisher
    kimswisher Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fupa- My 24 year old daughter explained to me what it is. Afterward I drank a nice big glass of wine. One does not enjoy such conversations with their offspring.:drinker:
  • andiechick
    Options

Is the Spotted **** you get in a can any good, or should I hold out for something like someone's mom used to make?

Never eaten it to be honest, but I have to be honest I prefer homemade with things like that. Can give you a recipe if you like
  • rml_16
    Options
    The pudding you buy in the stores here is made with gelatin. I can't ever have it because of that, but it was never a favoite of mine. Except rice pudding, but that doesn't have gelatin.
    Rice pudding is awesome. Oh, and also bread pudding! I guess we do call one non-custardy cake-like thing pudding here!
    I've only ever had bread pudding once that I liked and it was really, really awesome. It was a little tea room where I used to live in GA and they didn't add raisins.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Two come to mind for starters:-

*kitten* hat???

Butt Hurt??

Are you guys really that fixated with your rear ends.

Those are the ones that bother you? I don't even know what those mean. There are so many many ridiculous sayings, I will give you that. But I have never even heard of those two.
  • andiechick
    Options

Never eaten it to be honest, but I have to be honest I prefer homemade with things like that. Can give you a recipe if you like

spottedDpud_zps60d552ac.jpg
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Ohio. Vinegar on fries is good, especially if they're "fair fries," in a cup. lol
    Fair fries are the only thing I put vinegar on. All other fries are either bare, with ketchup, or "fry sauce" (made at eating time, because I live in Ohio, too, and so we have to mix our own ketchup and mayo, because it's not common around here).
    I don't eat fries very often anymore, but I usually dip them in some other kind of sauce (BBQ, honey mustard, occasionally ranch) or eat them plain. But, if I get fries at Long John Silver's, I eat those with vinegar, which I also put on my "chicken planks." lol Other than those instances, I don't generally use vinegar on fries either.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Unless it's a Jello mold. Those are yummy! And something else I can't have. :frown:

Or if it's a Jello shot.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Do other people use the phrase the *kitten* hole of no where to describe, in somewhat derogratory terms somewhere small/out of the way/no where near anything interesting.

We end the south use the phrase "BFE" or "bum f\/cked eqypt" to describe the middle of nowhere/small town.

For example
    "where are you from in Alabama?"
    "BFE"
    "oh, so a pretty rural place, huh?"

I have no idea where this phrase came from.
    Must be pretty specific to where you live. I know I'm a Yank and all, but I've lived in the South (rural Georgia and north Florida) for almost nine years and I know a lot of southerners, including half my BF's family. I have never heard that phrase.

I'm originally from the suburbs Atlanta and BFE is defiantly something I use.

And bless you heart can be genuine or an insult. it all in how you say it.

I live in Northern VA now and I don't have a southern accent at all really but I will never give up saying Ya'll or referring to all carbonated sugary beverages as coke. As in person 1 " do you want a coke", person 2: " sure" person 1" what kind?" person 2 "sprite"
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I always found people from across the ways saying "Can't be arsed" or CBA on forums pretty funny.

My husband said he worked with a dude named Randy and all the Austrailians thought it was HILARIOUS that you'd name your kid something as racy as Randy.

why is it racy?
    You must know what randy means!

My understanding was that in Scotland, "Randy" meant queer. We once put a shipmate up to ordering beer by going to the barkeep, making a upward gesture with his forefinger and middle finger and saying "Two beers Randy."
    My understanding was that meant "Up your kilt, *kitten*."
    Hmm. I've only ever heard it in the context of "horny."
    I always forget about this one. What do they use to shorten the name "Randall"?!

If you think about it, shortening Randall to Randy makes more sense than shortening Richard to D**k. (I just went ahead and censored myself on that one).
  • rml_16
    Options

Or if it's a Jello shot.
    Ha! Tha, too.

And I think I meant mould.
  • andiechick
    Options

Or if it's a Jello shot.

vodka jelly, mmmm!