Strange American sayings from an English Perspective

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I've always found the "maths" one confusing. Why do brits pluralize "math"? Do you say "I'm doing the sciences" too?

Sometimes ;)

*mind blown*
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    And I call 'athletic shoes' sneakers and the roundabout downtown is called the square.

I call sneakers "trainers", but in Newcastle, trainers are formal wear. Geordies love their trainers and track pants. A lot like New Jersey.

Are you a Geordie living overseas or have you just been fortunate to visit that part of the world?

I've visited the area and have worked with quite a few Geordies.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    So, having said that, will someone from across the pond please post a picture of what a "flan" is? I mean the dessert, not the Browncoat kind.

Flan is a Spanish custard.
    ^ this.

Not from the UK, but here's a pic... I think... It's been forever since I posted a pic in a thread.
    El+Flan+flan.jpg
    ETA: I :heart: flan!
    Now that'sflan! ¡y qué hermoso es tu nombre, Mariposa!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Damn you Fullsterkur_w, you made me want a flan now and the strawberry season has already finished, grrrr!!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Damn you Fullsterkur_w, you made me want a flan now and the strawberry season has already finished, grrrr!!!
    That's ok. Feel free to enjoy some flans sans strawberries, a la Mexicana! :laugh:
  • andiechick
    Options
    So, having said that, will someone from across the pond please post a picture of what a "flan" is? I mean the dessert, not the Browncoat kind.

^ this.

Not from the UK, but here's a pic... I think... It's been forever since I posted a pic in a thread.
    El+Flan+flan.jpg

In Europe that's usually a crème caramel ;0)
  • andiechick
    Options
    That's ok. Feel free to enjoy some flans sans strawberries, a la Mexicana! :laugh:

Could use kiwi or mandarin orange segments but not half as good as a strawberry flan :tongue:
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Regarding "bless your heart," I am a Southerner and I use that as intended. It's sympathetic if someone has just told me a tale of woe, and it's an expression of gratitude if someone has done something thoughtful.

The only time I would use it in a negative connotation would be behind someone's back, and then it would be "well, bless her heart." :wink: :devil:
  • ibblewibble
    Options

I've always found the "maths" one confusing. Why do brits pluralize "math"? Do you say "I'm doing the sciences" too?

Sometimes ;)
    Maths is an abbreviation for Mathematics, not Mathematic. When you abbreviate something it doesn't change it from being plural to singular.

Why do you septics suddenly go all Francais when it comes to words like fillet and herb?

And why do septics have absolutely no sense of humour? I suppose that explains why they boast about being sarcastic.
  • andiechick
    Options
    And I call 'athletic shoes' sneakers and the roundabout downtown is called the square.

I call sneakers "trainers", but in Newcastle, trainers are formal wear. Geordies love their trainers and track pants. A lot like New Jersey.

Are you a Geordie living overseas or have you just been fortunate to visit that part of the world?

Oh I see, I'm from the neighbouring (rival) city Sunderland, where we're known as Mackams!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

^ this.

El+Flan+flan.jpg
    :blushing:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    OK, here's another. I know that you say "jelly" to mean a gelatin dessert, and jam for the stuff you put on toast. But here in the States, we differentiate the stuff that goes on toast. Jam is usually made with real fruit in it, and jelly is just the juice that's been made to set up, or maybe just sugar water with food coloring and flavoring that's made to set up.

Do y'all differentiate?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK, so you all over there use "flan" kind of the way you use "pudding."

Over here, pudding is a very specific dessert, while there it's just general dessert.

Here, flan is a very specific Spanish dessert, as pictured.
  • rml_16
    Options
    OK, here's another. I know that you say "jelly" to mean a gelatin dessert, and jam for the stuff you put on toast. But here in the States, we differentiate the stuff that goes on toast. Jam is usually made with real fruit in it, and jelly is just the juice that's been made to set up, or maybe just sugar water with food coloring and flavoring that's made to set up.

Do y'all differentiate?

Don't forget preserves!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    OK, so you all over there use "flan" kind of the way you use "pudding."

Over here, pudding is a very specific dessert, while there it's just general dessert.

Here, flan is a very specific Spanish dessert, as pictured.
    Oh, yeah, that! I'd be very sad indeed if I got served a piece of cake when I ordered pudding expecting custard!

Well, except for the part where it's still *CAKE*!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Don't forget preserves!
    Jam =/= preserves?
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Oh I see, I'm from the neighbouring (rival) city Sunderland, where we're known as Mackams!

Yeah, I've seen and heard Mackam in reference to football matches and calling out Sunderland fans.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Don't forget preserves!
    Jam =/= preserves?
    I know. But that's one more thing we spread on toast here.
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Sorry but did anyone bring up FUPA yet? That word fascinates me.

Assuming you mean "a socially awkward or tactless act", I think you are saying it wrong. My hubby does that. Its "faux pas" and it's a real word.
  • rml_16
    Options

Sorry but did anyone bring up FUPA yet? That word fascinates me.

Assuming you mean "a socially awkward or tactless act", I think you are saying it wrong. My hubby does that. Its "faux pas" and it's a real word.
    And French!

But I wonder if FUPA is along the lines of SNAFU and FUBAR, in which case I'm not researcing on my work computer!