Starting a KETO Diet next week! Need advice and support

Options
Fit4Life004
Fit4Life004 Posts: 30 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi, so I am a female 5'1 117.5 pounds petite build and I have decided to give a Keto diet a try. I am a senior in college. I would like to lose 12-15 pounds. I am nervous but excited to see how my body reacts. I am looking for advice and what to expect when on this diet. What things did you eat, what was ur exercise plan. Did you have any side effects? Any thing else you would like to let me know would be great! thank you

Christina

Replies

• HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" myself and I'd kill to be 117.5lbs.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    what are your reasons for wanting a keto diet?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi. Keto diet will help shed alot of water weight and encourage some fat loss. Your workouts will suffer. Keep this in mind.

Also, when you eventually carb up, and you will, all the weightloss will come back

Keto is great to kick off a lifestyle change or prep for a photo shoot
  • Fit4Life004
    Fit4Life004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My reasons for going on this diet to better my body. Decrease body fat and tone up my body to feel more confident in myself. I would like to lose weight too. My final goal is 105... I know decreasing bad carbs in my diet affect well ...
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    will you be able to sustain a ketogenic diet long term?

eta: I am asking these questions because a ketogenic diet is very drastic for someone who wants to lose 12 lbs. it's really not even necessary, the wonderful thing about MFP is that you can eat how you normally do, but by tracking you can make a conscious effort to eat a little less and lose weight as a result.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    Instead of being a downer, I will answer your question. I wanted to loose only the 35 lbs I gained after quitting smoking. I suggest reading the New Atkins book for a more full understanding of Ketosis.

I eat a lot of veggies and proteins. Chicken, Pork, Fish, Beef. Breakfast is usually Bacon & Eggs, Steak and Broccoli, Ground Beef, Broccoli, with Cheddar Cheese. Salads for lunch. Lots of butter and oil. As many calories as I want to eat till I am full but no more than the number of carbs I am supposed to eat that week.

First 2 weeks is no more than 20 net carbs per day. Then you increase 5 carbs a week until you stop loosing weight. Maintenance stage is at that number so you don't loose or gain. The book explains it better.

I lost about a pound a day for the first two weeks. Exercise was 30-45 min walks every day and 35-45 minutes of UFC Trainer 4 times a week. Not much exercise is needed though.

Side effects, I was a bit light headed at times but it passed. I miss pizza, beer, and bread the most. But now that I am very close to my goal weight I enjoy cheat days a bit more often than I should but I am not gaining, just staying at the weight I am. I now drink Bacardi instead of beer.

Do not listen to the people who do not understand ketosis, they fear/bash what they do not understand. Change the fuel you eat and make your body go into fat burning mode instead of fat storing mode. When you eat less calories and less fat your body does what? STORES IT! Remove carbs and sugars from your diet and your body burns fat that it has stored.

My girlfriend and I are very happy with the "lifestyle" and the results. It's great to know I will never feel hungry because I can eat as many calories as I want. I eat between 1800 and 2400 a day and still loose consistently. As with any diet, you learn to eat healthy and modify the way you look at food and eat. It is for life not just a few weeks to shed some extra weight. But with the beauty of Ketosis is once you understand it, you can jump back into the various stages at any time to increase or decrease the level of weight loss.

Good luck and if you want to ask questions and receive responses from people who know what they are talking about head over to forums.atkins.com and see for yourself why so many people have had success with this diet/"lifestyle" since the 70's when it was introduced by a DOCTOR!
  • Beanessa
    Beanessa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind some advice...

I was basically exactly in your shoes in May, 2011. I'm 5'2 (rounding up) and I was about 118 pounds. I knew I wasn't fat, but I wanted to get into better shape. My eating at that time was also really bad, especially considering I've been a vegetarian for years.

I basically started a lowish carb diet which consisted of 100 carbs per day (total, none of that subtracting fiber stuff) and it's worked out pretty well. I basically cut out pasta and rice and tried to replace a whole bagel with half a bagel and something else (usually eggs). Also started using wraps instead of two pieces of bread for sandwiches.

I know there's people that poo-poo on low carb and that's fine, but I know it's worked for me. Extremely low carb isn't sustainable, but I've been able to sustain this for over two years.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My reasons for going on this diet to better my body. Decrease body fat and tone up my body to feel more confident in myself. I would like to lose weight too. My final goal is 105... I know decreasing bad carbs in my diet affect well ...

You will lose muscle as well as fat. The only way to tone up (as you call it) is to lift heavy weights. And you will not have any energy to do that.

"Do not listen to the people who do not understand ketosis, they fear/bash what they do not understand. "

^^I lost 60lbs on a similar diet. Became skinny fat. Very little LBM left. Gained back 30 lbs. Since joining MFP I have lost about 24 lbs eating what I want (while meeting my macros) and doing stronglifts. I'm no longer skinny fat. I'm fit and much stronger.
  • myriambruneau
    Options
    Hi, I have a really good article about the Ketogenic Diet here : http://www.mydreamshape.com/ketogenic-diet-introduction/
    Also check out a detailed food list here : http://www.mydreamshape.com/ketogenic-diet-food-list/
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    will you be able to sustain a ketogenic diet long term?

eta: I am asking these questions because a ketogenic diet is very drastic for someone who wants to lose 12 lbs. it's really not even necessary, the wonderful thing about MFP is that you can eat how you normally do, but by tracking you can make a conscious effort to eat a little less and lose weight as a result.

That's what I was thinking. I'm 5' tall and though I lost all of my weight doing keto, I wouldn't do it merely for weight loss.

It's just very drastic.

It's not easy, I've been keto for 6 months----because I'm diabetic and there's no other way for me.

If I had my way, I'd just eat normally at a deficit & work out....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This is the same as the Adkins diet, correct? If so, my friend did it and lost oodles of weight, and then gained it all back after she went back to regular eating.

Also, losing weight won't tone you up unless you exercise.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Join the Keto group.

The keto group on Reddit is pretty damned amazing.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This is the same as the Adkins diet, correct? If so, my friend did it and lost oodles of weight, and then gained it all back after she went back to regular eating.

No, keto is not exactly the same, it doesn't have phases like Atkins & is much lower in carbs. Also anyone will gain there weight back when they stop a diet.
  • hookilau
    Options

No, keto is not exactly the same, it doesn't have phases like Atkins & is much lower in carbs. Also anyone will gain there weight back when they stop a diet.

Agreed. If viewed as a lifestyle vs a 'diet' then there won't be any issue about re-gaining weight no matter which diet you choose. It's just a tough row to hoe, Atkins is less stringent & a good deal of the time, folks can get the same benefits without having to resort to very low carbs.

In the interest of full disclosure, there's a bit of a dark side to keto. There are no cheat days, if you cheat & eat high fat WITH starchy or sugary carbs, you WILL gain fat (not water/glycogen). Eating low carb will make you more sensitive to carbs (though this is a temporary phenomenon) and if you decide to carb up again or that the lifestyle is not for you, increase carbs slowly and incrementally until you find a figure that works for you.

There are lots of benefits to keto as well, I can only speak from personal experience here...I feel fantastic, have lots of energy, sleep really well and drop weight and maintain effortlessly.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just that it's not as easy as it sounds. Truth be told, if I hadn't dismissed the idea of limiting carbs & laughed at the idea of carbs being the big bad boogeyman, I would've lost my weight and gotten healthy a WHOLE lot sooner than I did!!!

Here's another good site with lots of info"

www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Love Keto.

What to expect: 3-7 days of feeling like crap as your body adjusts and some cravings until you have switched.

After that period: Increase in energy, Cravings gone. Weight loss in 1st 14 days will be good as it's mainly water with some fat and muscle.

Keto is very powerful tool to use in cutting the fat away and using fat stores as your fuel is good. I've been following a very strict keto diet done by Dave Palumbo. I still lift weights and have not suffered in terms of lifts not being as much etc..
  • JaxDemon
    Options

Agreed. If viewed as a lifestyle vs a 'diet' then there won't be any issue about re-gaining weight no matter which diet you choose. It's just a tough row to hoe, Atkins is less stringent & a good deal of the time, folks can get the same benefits without having to resort to very low carbs.

In the interest of full disclosure, there's a bit of a dark side to keto. There are no cheat days, if you cheat & eat high fat WITH starchy or sugary carbs, you WILL gain fat (not water/glycogen). Eating low carb will make you more sensitive to carbs (though this is a temporary phenomenon) and if you decide to carb up again or that the lifestyle is not for you, increase carbs slowly and incrementally until you find a figure that works for you.

There are lots of benefits to keto as well, I can only speak from personal experience here...I feel fantastic, have lots of energy, sleep really well and drop weight and maintain effortlessly.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just that it's not as easy as it sounds. Truth be told, if I hadn't dismissed the idea of limiting carbs & laughed at the idea of carbs being the big bad boogeyman, I would've lost my weight and gotten healthy a WHOLE lot sooner than I did!!!

No cheat days on keto? SInce when lol. I have a cheat meal every week in fact it's encouraged to carb up/cheat or whatever people want to call it. The only issue is the next day you feel like you are drunk but that passes.
  • JaxDemon
    Options
    OP watch these. Ignore the fact he's a bodybuilder he knows what he's talking about and that's all that matters

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9lrfk_exclusive-species-nutrition-with-da_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9lquq_exclusive-species-nutrition-with-da_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9lq7u_exclusive-species-nutrition-with-da_sport

Bare in mind these diets he's done are VERY STRICT but you do get cheat meals once per week which will keep you sane.

Very decent thread here regarding his plans he wrote http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/Dave-Palumbo-Keto-Diet-Questions-Ask-them-here-m3919436.aspx

The below is strict and really you don't have to go to this extreme.

Variations of the Palumbo diet for certain individuals :
    200lb male
    Meal #1: 5 whole eggs (Omega-3), 4 egg-whites (can be liquid egg-whites).
    Meal #2: Shake: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ½ tablespoon of All Natural Peanut Butter (no sugar).
    Meal #3: Lean protein meal: 8oz Chicken with ½ cup cashew nuts (or almonds, walnuts).
    Meal #4: Shake: same as meal #2.
    Meal #5: Fatty protein meal: 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or Red Meat with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia Nut Oil and Vinegar.
    Meal #6: Same as meal #2 and #4, or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra egg-whites.

250lb+ male
    Meal #1: 6 whole (Omega-3) eggs.
    Meal #2: 8oz chicken with ½ cup raw almonds.
    Meal #3: 50g whey protein with 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter.
    Meal #4: 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil.
    Meal #5: same as meal #3.
    Meal #6: 6 whole (Omega-3) eggs.

120lb female
    Meal #1: 2 whole (omega-3) eggs and 6 egg-whites.
    Meal #2: 4oz chicken with 1/4 cup raw almonds.
    Meal #3: 35g whey protein with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter.
    Meal #4: 4oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil.
    Meal #5: same as meal #1 or meal #3.

100lb (lean body mass) female figure competitor
    Meal #1: 2 whole omega-3 eggs and 4 egg whites.
    Meal #2: 30g whey protein and 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter.
    Meal #3: 6oz chicken and 1oz (1/8 cup) raw almonds.
    Meal #4: same as meal #2.
    Meal #5: 4oz salmon, 2 cups of spinach leaves, 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil and vinegar.

170lb male (153lbs LBM)
    Meal #1: 3 whole omega-3 eggs, 3 egg-whites, 3 slices fat-free turkey.
    Meal #2: 40g whey protein and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
    Meal #3: 150g skinless chicken breast and 1 tablespoon soy and 1 tablespoon mustard and 30g almonds.
    Meal #5: 200g top sirloin steak and 85g raw spinach and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
    Meal #6: 2 whole omega-3 eggs, 1 can tuna.

160 lb male
    Meal #1: 4 whole eggs, ¾ cup egg-whites, fish oil, primrose oil.
    Meal #2: 7oz chicken, ¼ cup almonds.
    Meal #3: 7oz salmon, 1 cup spinach.
    Meal #5: 7oz lean ground beef, 1 cup spinach, 1 tablespoon olive oil.
    Meal #6: 3 whole eggs, 1 cup egg-whites, fish oil, primrose oil.

185lb natty bb at 12%bf
    Meal #1: 5 whole omega-3 eggs.
    Meal #2: 7oz chicken with 1/3 cup raw almonds.
    Meal #3: 40g whey protein with 1.5 tablespoons all natural peanut butter (post-workout meal).
    Meal #4: 6oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil.
    Meal #5: 40g whey protein with 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter.
    Meal #6: 4 whole omega-3 eggs with 4 extra egg-whites.

176lb natty bb at 11-12%bf
    Meal #1: 4 whole omega-3 eggs with 4 extra egg-whites.
    Meal #2: 200g chicken with 1/3 cup raw almonds.
    Meal #3: 40g whey protein with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter.
    Meal #4: 200g red meat or salmon with 1 cup asparagus.
    Meal #5: 40g whey protein with 1.5 tablespoons all natural peanut butter.
    Meal #6: same as meal #1.

155lb male at 15%bf
    Meal #1: 3 whole omega-3 eggs.
    Meal #2: 5oz chicken with ¼ cup raw almonds.
    Meal #3: 30g whey isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter.
    Meal #4: 7oz (93%) lean ground beef with 1 cup romaine lettuce (dressing: 3 teaspoons ev olive oil and 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar) and 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil.

195lb male
    Meal #1: 5 whole eggs.
    Meal #2: 8oz chicken breast and 1/3 cup almonds.
    Meal #3: 50g whey protein isolate with 1.5 tablespoon natural peanut butter.
    Meal #4: 8oz fish with 1/3 cup almonds.
    Meal #5: 55g whey protein isolate with 1.5 tablespoon natural peanut butter (post workout).

172lbs at 11%bf with protein and veggies days incorporated
    3X P-F, 2X P-V

Pro-Fat
    Meal #1: 4 whole eggs with 4 egg-whites.
    Meal #2: 6oz chicken (cooked) and 1/3 cup raw almonds.
    Meal #3: 40g whey protein and 1.5 tablespoon all natural peanut butter.
    Meal #4: 6oz red meat (cooked) with 1 cup asparagus.

Pro-veggie
    Meal #1: 12 egg-whites.
    Meal #2: 6oz chicken (cooked) and 1 cup asparagus.
    Meal #3: 40g whey protein with water.
    Meal #4: 6oz tuna and 1 cup asparagus.

Hope this info helps and good luck.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started keto with just 10-15 lbs to lose, and have included a cheat meal + dessert one day a week. After a month, I'm down about 5 lbs, and I haven't found it hard to follow at all. Check out the keto group here and also reddit.com/r/keto.
  • hookilau
    Options

No cheat days on keto? SInce when lol. I have a cheat meal every week in fact it's encouraged to carb up/cheat or whatever people want to call it. The only issue is the next day you feel like you are drunk but that passes.

No, no cheat days for me, it makes me feel like crap, besides, I'm diabetic.....nope....no cheat days for me.
    It's just not worth it for me :drinker:

If I could, I would though!!!!!:laugh:
    In a NY minute I would,:blushing:
This discussion has been closed.