Starting a KETO Diet next week! Need advice and support

Options

Replies

• RLPearce92
    Options
    i totally believe in doing what makes you happy and comfortable i just picked up on when you said giving keto "a try" when you want to lose weight and keep it off, it should be a change for life so the best way for me is to log your calories and keep in deficit, some carbs are totally fine and if youre sticking to the right calories then the results will come.

but good luck with your journey :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    No, keto is not exactly the same, it doesn't have phases like Atkins & is much lower in carbs. Also anyone will gain there weight back when they stop a diet.

Thanks for the clarification on diet type.

You are right, people will gain back weight on any type of diet. Therefore, what is the purpose of a diet?

Anyone who eats like they used to when they were fat will gain the weight back no matter what type of diet you are on. Atkins is not a Diet, it is a lifestyle change and a change in the way you eat for life. You can not blame a specific diet for a person eating Twinkies and Hagen Daaz. That is just asinine-

I no longer get heartburn, my blood pressure is lower, my cholesterol levels are lowering and I am losing weight and feel great. If you don't know the facts stop the silly comments. Read the Atkins book before you spout stupidity...
    that's nice...all of those things would probably have happened eating a balanced diet; and MY you are pleasant:flowerforyou:
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are on the wrong site if you just want to lose 12-15 lbs. Enjoy your size.
  • seatransplant
    seatransplant Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1. Good Luck! I love the diet.
    2. I still lift weights and have not lost any strength. Find i'm more tired during a work-out if i forgot to do some carbs before the workout - but that's pretty standard.
    3. Love the diet - i get to eat cheese.
    4. For me, it will be a lifestyle change. I can cheat one meal a week and that seems to be good for me!
    5. Keep at it. Yes you can/will gain weight when you break out of the diet - but that's true whether you do deficit or anything else. Like another poster said, when you get to where you want to be (and weight shouldn't be the only measure, you can weigh low but still have a bad body composition) slightly increase carbs to where you maintain.

I love the variety - thank goodness for reddit! there is a lot of support there as well.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    why would you say that?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Not true. Support is a gift no matter how much or how little you want to lose. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    My reasons for going on this diet to better my body. Decrease body fat and tone up my body to feel more confident in myself. I would like to lose weight too. My final goal is 105... I know decreasing bad carbs in my diet affect well ...

You will lose muscle as well as fat. The only way to tone up (as you call it) is to lift heavy weights. And you will not have any energy to do that.

Uh, not true. I still do my weight routine three times a week. The only negative about going keto was that I had to decrease my dumbbell by 5 lbs, but I still get a good workout and am able to do my whole routine without any trouble. As far as I know, I haven't lost any major muscles.
    Regardless of diet, calorie deficit affects both fat and muscle tissue to an extent. Just like a surplusing to gain muscle, deficit will affect muscle although strength training reduces amount lost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My reasons for going on this diet to better my body. Decrease body fat and tone up my body to feel more confident in myself. I would like to lose weight too. My final goal is 105... I know decreasing bad carbs in my diet affect well ...

You will lose muscle as well as fat. The only way to tone up (as you call it) is to lift heavy weights. And you will not have any energy to do that.

Uh, not true. I still do my weight routine three times a week. The only negative about going keto was that I had to decrease my dumbbell by 5 lbs, but I still get a good workout and am able to do my whole routine without any trouble. As far as I know, I haven't lost any major muscles.
    Regardless of diet, calorie deficit affects both fat and muscle tissue to an extent. Just like a surplusing to gain muscle, deficit will affect muscle although strength training reduces amount lost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Hence why I said "MAJOR" in regards to the muscle. I expect to lose some muscle here and there.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough fat. That's the key for me. And, no, workouts never suffered (and I work out very hard, HIIT, weights, etc). But enough fat is key if you aren't getting many carbohydrates.
    If you've done research and are clear on the facts, make your own decisions. Don't listen to a lot of the BS here. BUT do make sure you do your research.

So they shouldn't listen to you either....if you go by your reasoning. Got it. Thanks for the advice!!!

Pardon? Is it BS that I suggest she do her own research and be clear on the facts? Or that my workouts didn't suffer from not eating many carbohydrates? Or maybe that fat is necessary if you don't eat a lot of carbs? Not quite sure what you mean, but your bitterness, sarcasm and "help" serve no purpose here.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaaCWni89Nel6Vl5g9x46H1Mr-o0hRpT3tCUcvsnM8wwWLPkqS
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

"Do not listen to the people who do not understand ketosis, they fear/bash what they do not understand. "

^^I lost 60lbs on a similar diet. Became skinny fat. Very little LBM left. Gained back 30 lbs. Since joining MFP I have lost about 24 lbs eating what I want (while meeting my macros) and doing stronglifts. I'm no longer skinny fat. I'm fit and much stronger.

if you're following the diet one of the high points is that you do not lose as much muscle as in a conventional diet. this is because you are eating enough protein and fat that your body doesn't think it needs to raid your muscle stores the way it does when you drastically cut fat and protein in a normal diet.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/340463-when-you-are-in-ketosis-are-you-burning-fat-rather-than-muscle/
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    For those saying you gain it all back the minute you reintroduce carbs.. that's nonsense. If you eat too many calories once you stop any diet you will regain it. If you go back to what you did to get fat in the first place of course you will regain it. true of any diet.

you will regain 5 to 7 pounds of glycogen stores including water, those are the same 5 to 7 pounds you lost in the first few days of the diet. they recommend you go that much past your goal before you drop the diet.

the rest of the weight loss will stay as long as you eat in your maintenance calories.

the reason it's not good to cheat on this diet is because it's hard to get back into keto for some people.

how many carbs you can eat and stay in ketosis varies from person to person. I've gone up to 60 or so net carbs and remained in ketosis. (I haven't tried much higher so I don't know what my absolute upper limit is) my body seems to like being there. not true for everyone.
  • lupinibean
    Options

I can't seem to find where MFP has a "how many pounds to lose" requirement. Can you point out where you are getting that information?
  • hookilau
    Options
    For those saying you gain it all back the minute you reintroduce carbs.. that's nonsense. If you eat too many calories once you stop any diet you will regain it. If you go back to what you did to get fat in the first place of course you will regain it. true of any diet.

you will regain 5 to 7 pounds of glycogen stores including water, those are the same 5 to 7 pounds you lost in the first few days of the diet. they recommend you go that much past your goal before you drop the diet.

the rest of the weight loss will stay as long as you eat in your maintenance calories.

the reason it's not good to cheat on this diet is because it's hard to get back into keto for some people.

how many carbs you can eat and stay in ketosis varies from person to person. I've gone up to 60 or so net carbs and remained in ketosis. (I haven't tried much higher so I don't know what my absolute upper limit is) my body seems to like being there. not true for everyone.

This is also true for my husband and I. Though he's not diabetic, to stay ketotic, he and I both have to severely limit our carbs as we've both slipped up with eating too many nuts or peanutbutter :laugh:

You're absolutely right that it's easier for some than others and finding the right number can be a bit of trial and error, but for us, it was worth it. Both of us benefit from this lifestyle and we are unable to do cheat meals (me, because T2D and he, because it doesn't take a whole lotta carbs to launch him out of ketosis).

Hope everyone is able to find the information they need :wink:
  • Fit4Life004
    Fit4Life004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone one for your imput! It has all been pretty helpful. I know everyone has their opinions and I respect that. I start tomorrow and going to just see how my body adjusts, I am not obsessed just want to get my body back in shape and feeling good. I will keep you posted on my my progress and if you want to add me as a friend go ahead! thanks

Christina
    :)
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I follow Atkins and found I personally stayed in keto at 75 grams & under, but to eliminate stored glucose and cravings I did a few weeks of induction lvl carbs, 25 grams net.

I felt a little light headed and got headaches the first week but eating a pinch of salt helped. My workouts did suffer, I felt like I was treading thru mud. When my carbs hit 50 - 75 grams my energy improved and I felt great.

I lost 40 lbs on Atkins as of April and have been maintaining that weight even though I now eat 150 - 200 grams of carbs. Weight loss and increased exercise has greatly improved my insulin sensitivity.

So despite success with low carbing I don't think it's right for everyone. A lot of people I know fail on low carb because carbs are not really their problem. Often other issues like emotional eating are - stress, boredom, depression.

Go read up on insulin resistance symptoms and see if that fits you first. Good luck with your loss and finding what works for you.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I just read the 1st page of this, but had to stop because I was getting a little mad.

Let me just explain the difference between Keto and Atkins:

Atkins uses "net carbs," which is pretty much carbs minus sugar alcohols and fiber. Keto just uses carbs. I'm on a keto diet, and I love it. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I give myself 1 "cheat" meal per week. Guess what? I don't gain anything back from that meal.

Also, keto doesn't "burn muscle" as well as fat. Ketosis is the state your body is in when you burn fat for energy instead of carbs. It has nothing to do with burning muscle unless you're not eating enough. That's what'll happen with ANY diet.

I personally find this diet sustainable, because it makes me feel great. But I'll agree with other posters that if you're that close to goal, it'll take just as long to lose weight as any other diet. If you decide to try it and then realize you don't like it, you can't just jump back into carbs in a day. SLOWLY reincorporate them.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I just read the 1st page of this, but had to stop because I was getting a little mad.

Let me just explain the difference between Keto and Atkins:

Atkins uses "net carbs," which is pretty much carbs minus sugar alcohols and fiber. Keto just uses carbs. I'm on a keto diet, and I love it. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I give myself 1 "cheat" meal per week. Guess what? I don't gain anything back from that meal.

Also, keto doesn't "burn muscle" as well as fat. Ketosis is the state your body is in when you burn fat for energy instead of carbs. It has nothing to do with burning muscle unless you're not eating enough. That's what'll happen with ANY diet.

I personally find this diet sustainable, because it makes me feel great. But I'll agree with other posters that if you're that close to goal, it'll take just as long to lose weight as any other diet. If you decide to try it and then realize you don't like it, you can't just jump back into carbs in a day. SLOWLY reincorporate them.

I agree completely. If you read a little more of the thread, it gets a little less maddening, then it takes a nose dive and then picks up again with common sense :laugh: It's got the usual MFP twists and turns, but there's logical stuff in there too.

::Shrug:: :blushing: I think folks will modify things to better suit themselves and that's great. There's a great deal of misinformation floating around :ohwell: I think the issue of cheat meals either having an effect on people or not is an individual one. It gets wrapped up in the same box as those who over time, begin to increase their carbs (as evidenced by studies) inadvertently and fall off the diet. All of this suggests to some people that it is evidence that such a diet is unsustainable.

I don't know if it's me or not because as a T2D, eating like this is not optional for me, but everyone in my immediate family eats this way (both kids & husband). I've done my best to make them regular foods, but they just. won't. eat. it. Even my mom (who feels as though my T2 is catching btw) eats this way and it was the way she feels with carb restriction, is what keeps her away from carbs.

In the end, if you decide it might be worth a try, educate yourself, there are lots of books out there and there's nothing inherently wrong with Atkins, South Beach or Ketogenic diets. All are cut from the same cloth but with modifications built in to suit a plethora of different people and lifestyles. :drinker:
  • barneszilla
    barneszilla Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 10-15 lbs and 'tone up', you should eat at a small deficit and do strength training.

It sounds like what you actually want to do is body recomposition, which is a process that involves eating at maintenance and building muscle while slowly reducing fat.

It is beyond me why anyone would look at a diet designed as a treatment for epileptic children who are resistant to anti-seizure meds and say "YES! That's my ticket to weight loss!" But, shrug.

Another silly person who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Explain to me, please, how it is silly? Or did you just ignorantly bash the truth?

'Ignorantly bash the truth' .. this is unbelievably hypocritcal considering your comments that Keto is solely a diet for treating epilepsy?

Yes, this is incredibly silly. On a Ketogenic Diet, your body burns fat as energy first. On a standard Glycolyctic diet your body first burns carbs, then muscle, then finally fat. So yes, being in Ketosis, along with a calorie deficit is a ticket to weight loss. Ketosis is a primal state, what do you think Human's eat before agriculture (5000-6000 years ago) in the last millions of years of human evolution? Fat, Meat, Berries.
This discussion has been closed.