Starting a KETO Diet next week! Need advice and support

Options

Replies

• charlottemharrell
    Options
    I have used this diet many times. If you do it, it works. You just can't cheat. Low carbs and high protein works, but not high carbs and high protein.

Keep a list of what you eat and don't go too low. You will get there quickly and then move into the next stages where you eat a more balanced diet.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    No, keto is not exactly the same, it doesn't have phases like Atkins & is much lower in carbs. Also anyone will gain there weight back when they stop a diet.

Thanks for the clarification on diet type.

You are right, people will gain back weight on any type of diet. Therefore, what is the purpose of a diet?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    keto can be great short-term. Do NOT get addicted to it. It damages your body long-term. Also know in advance that your breath is going to stank while your body is in ketosis.

Adkins also throws your body into ketosis. Isn't that supposed to be dangerous? Will have to do some research on that, simply because I am interested in this discussion. :smile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 10-15 lbs and 'tone up', you should eat at a small deficit and do strength training.

It sounds like what you actually want to do is body recomposition, which is a process that involves eating at maintenance and building muscle while slowly reducing fat.

It is beyond me why anyone would look at a diet designed as a treatment for epileptic children who are resistant to anti-seizure meds and say "YES! That's my ticket to weight loss!" But, shrug.

Another silly person who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I don't know what's silly about stating the origin of the diet.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough fat. That's the key for me. And, no, workouts never suffered (and I work out very hard, HIIT, weights, etc). But enough fat is key if you aren't getting many carbohydrates.
    If you've done research and are clear on the facts, make your own decisions. Don't listen to a lot of the BS here. BUT do make sure you do your research.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Instead of being a downer, I will answer your question. I wanted to loose only the 35 lbs I gained after quitting smoking. I suggest reading the New Atkins book for a more full understanding of Ketosis.

I eat a lot of veggies and proteins. Chicken, Pork, Fish, Beef. Breakfast is usually Bacon & Eggs, Steak and Broccoli, Ground Beef, Broccoli, with Cheddar Cheese. Salads for lunch. Lots of butter and oil. As many calories as I want to eat till I am full but no more than the number of carbs I am supposed to eat that week.

First 2 weeks is no more than 20 net carbs per day. Then you increase 5 carbs a week until you stop loosing weight. Maintenance stage is at that number so you don't loose or gain. The book explains it better.

I lost about a pound a day for the first two weeks. Exercise was 30-45 min walks every day and 35-45 minutes of UFC Trainer 4 times a week. Not much exercise is needed though.

Side effects, I was a bit light headed at times but it passed. I miss pizza, beer, and bread the most. But now that I am very close to my goal weight I enjoy cheat days a bit more often than I should but I am not gaining, just staying at the weight I am. I now drink Bacardi instead of beer.

Do not listen to the people who do not understand ketosis, they fear/bash what they do not understand. Change the fuel you eat and make your body go into fat burning mode instead of fat storing mode. When you eat less calories and less fat your body does what? STORES IT! Remove carbs and sugars from your diet and your body burns fat that it has stored.

My girlfriend and I are very happy with the "lifestyle" and the results. It's great to know I will never feel hungry because I can eat as many calories as I want. I eat between 1800 and 2400 a day and still loose consistently. As with any diet, you learn to eat healthy and modify the way you look at food and eat. It is for life not just a few weeks to shed some extra weight. But with the beauty of Ketosis is once you understand it, you can jump back into the various stages at any time to increase or decrease the level of weight loss.

Good luck and if you want to ask questions and receive responses from people who know what they are talking about head over to forums.atkins.com and see for yourself why so many people have had success with this diet/"lifestyle" since the 70's when it was introduced by a DOCTOR!

I just wanted to address the 'I can eat as many calories as I want and still lose weight'. That is false. It doesn't matter WHAT you eat, if you eat too much of it, you will gain weight. The body keeps a perfect record and it's ALL about calories in, calories out.

The ketogenic diet was created for treating epileptics. You can bet that they did not all waste away to nothing. :smile:
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" ,115lb female.

First time I did it I didn't keto adapt fully (ate too much peanut butter), "flu" lasted about 5 days. This go around hunger and cravings are practically non-existent, food bill is cheaper, less storange taken up in my fridge, and I don't have to worry about fast food. I can go to a burger joint, pull off the buns and boom, a meal, no worries in sight. MUCH easier on the mind than low cal or low fat, by all means.

My #1 tip for petite ladies such as you and I: The typical max is 20g net carbs, but I'm guessing that since we're small, we require less. I typically have to stay around 10 net or below to stay in. You my not experience the same thing but if you're struggling, it's something to consider.

Good luck and enjoy. If it works for you, don't let others bother you about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    The high regain weight after a KETO diet happens to about 90% of the people who go on it. Dropping carbs will ultimately reduce glycogen stores and water stores more than anything else. And any re introduction will refill this stores and increase weight again.
    Calorie deficit works. Always has and always will.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The high regain weight after a KETO diet happens to about 90% of the people who go on it. Dropping carbs will ultimately reduce glycogen stores and water stores more than anything else. And any re introduction will refill this stores and increase weight again.
    Calorie deficit works. Always has and always will.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I only gain 2kg when I "de keto" so the logical thing is to lower my weight goal by 2kg, job done.

As for being any worse than any other diet ...I guarantee of the 100% that actually manage to hit their goal, five years on the weight will be back on in all but less than 25% just as statisticts dictate.

your chance of permanent success is 1 in 4 and if you cant even grasp the benefits of keto sensibly you re probably going to be in the other 3 out of 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    People saying don't cheat on Keto please can you explain why you should not cheat? (Unless you are diabetic ofcourse) Really interested to see why people are saying this because I've been cheating weekly and I was cheating before I even started on here when I first did Keto and I've lost tonnes of weight and lose 2lb a week easily all while still having a high carb/refeed meal once per week. In the plan I follow which is strict it's advised to have a cheat meal once a week after all you want to fool your body into not getting set into one way of fat loss mainly due to our body being so good at storing fat in times of need.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of negative comments on here and most likely those that have not done low-carb before. Lots of people have misconceptions about it. I do low carb and have been able to maintain what I lost jut fine. I have bad days every week and NEVER have I gone up in weight. I suggest doing carb cycling. Mix Low (25 net carbs) and high days (don't go over 150-200 net carbs) It will be hard to maintain under 25 net carbs daily forever.
    I work out three days a week 45 mins and always have energy. I make sure I get enough fiber so I stick with broccoli, celery and spinach for my veggies. There are tons of websites out there that will give you a listing of foods that are the bet things to eat when you are doing this. Hope it works for you!
  • Darlekins
    Options

Ketogenic diets are excellent if you're T1 diabetic. people need to learn to differ ketosis from ketoacidosis which only occurs when you have a high blood sugar (which is basically impossible to get on a ketogenic diet).

I have myself successfully been able to remove all my bolus insulin (and only taking long acting) when on a ketogenic diet.

Thank you!!!! I've also greatly reduced my insulin requirements. it's very freeing to medicate to my eating rather than eating to my medication and i'm no longer riding the glucose rollercoaster every day.

AND - I lift 2x per week ...yes, i lift HEAVY. Also ran a 1/2 last weekend (lowered my PR by 00:01:56) and am doing a full marathon in November. Keto-adaptation can be a great thing for athletes.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My reasons for going on this diet to better my body. Decrease body fat and tone up my body to feel more confident in myself. I would like to lose weight too. My final goal is 105... I know decreasing bad carbs in my diet affect well ...

You will lose muscle as well as fat. The only way to tone up (as you call it) is to lift heavy weights. And you will not have any energy to do that.

Uh, not true. I still do my weight routine three times a week. The only negative about going keto was that I had to decrease my dumbbell by 5 lbs, but I still get a good workout and am able to do my whole routine without any trouble. As far as I know, I haven't lost any major muscles.
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options

Ketogenic diets are excellent if you're T1 diabetic. people need to learn to differ ketosis from ketoacidosis which only occurs when you have a high blood sugar (which is basically impossible to get on a ketogenic diet).

I have myself successfully been able to remove all my bolus insulin (and only taking long acting) when on a ketogenic diet.

Thank you!!!! I've also greatly reduced my insulin requirements. it's very freeing to medicate to my eating rather than eating to my medication and i'm no longer riding the glucose rollercoaster every day.

AND - I lift 2x per week ...yes, i lift HEAVY. Also ran a 1/2 last weekend (lowered my PR by 00:01:56) and am doing a full marathon in November. Keto-adaptation can be a great thing for athletes.

I've also been training very successfully keto adapted, but I've always been competing "high" and have seen great benefits with "training low - competing high". Right now I've been carb cycling and are going low carb (aka below 30g a day) on recovery weeks (every three weeks) but are eating quite a lot of carbs on speed intensity weeks.

This is the model that works best for me, but I might actually go over to keto adaptation again soon when I'm done with my "carb experiment" =D Awesome to hear from another T1 that has had the same success as I have!
  • polluxy
    polluxy Posts: 31
    Options
    A well-planned ketogenic diet is completely safe as long as you are not Type I diabetic or lack the gene necessary to produce fat metabolism.

I should have clarified. You just have to be a bit more careful with keto and T1 diabetes. If you can't produce insulin to regulate the ketone levels in your blood, you can develop ketoacidosis. For most that's not a problem, because even a small amount of insulin is sufficient to regulate ketone levels. But for some, it can be a life-threatening condition.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 10-15 lbs and 'tone up', you should eat at a small deficit and do strength training.

It sounds like what you actually want to do is body recomposition, which is a process that involves eating at maintenance and building muscle while slowly reducing fat.

It is beyond me why anyone would look at a diet designed as a treatment for epileptic children who are resistant to anti-seizure meds and say "YES! That's my ticket to weight loss!" But, shrug.

Another silly person who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Explain to me, please, how it is silly? Or did you just ignorantly bash the truth?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Dont do it.

How bout just eat sensibly, log your food, and pick up a barbell, or whatever makes you happy.

I think people sometimes forget happy in the whole equation.
  • polluxy
    polluxy Posts: 31
    Options
    Dont do it.

How bout just eat sensibly, log your food, and pick up a barbell, or whatever makes you happy.

I think people sometimes forget happy in the whole equation.

My mood is vastly improved when I do keto. Of course, that's probably not going to be true for everyone, but I agree, don't forget happy!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My daughter's your size and is at 107. she just does low carb but doesn't really worry about ketostix and all that. i'm inclined to agree with others on here that ketogenix is a bit severe. I've done it myself and sure it works but I found my energy was really low at 20 grams of carbs a day (Atkins Induction) and so I went back to 50 to 100 grams of carbs, keep the carbs at breakfast and ensure that i'm in a ketosis kind of state from dinner through breakfast when I sleep. a lot of weightlifters follow that practice when they're cutting. it's a bit hard to keep exercising at 20 grams of carbs a day. not saying impossible but .... good luck.
This discussion has been closed.