Seriously, how can I look like this

Options
124»

Replies

• MrsBingley
    Options
    I though it was Kwashiorkor. This is caused by low protein, and the amount of distention can vary. In any case, it's extremely unlikely.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Have you been to your gyno? Sometimes problems in the female reproductive system can cause abdominal bloating. I'd schedule an appointment, just to be on the safe side.

This, so much THIS. I won't get into details because it's likely that you're not dealing with the same thing I did (an ovarian tumor) and I don't want to scare you, BUT in case you are, please see your doctor. Especially if your belly feels hard and not fatty. I had a major health issue and wish I had pushed for a doctor to take me seriously more quickly than I had. Get an ultrasound if you can. And please message me if it does turn out to be a health problem and you need any support.

ETA: It took me 3 doctors and a naturopathic doctor to finally get a diagnosis (through an ultrasound), so you might have to push to see someone, but if you know something is wrong, then you have to push hard. That photo didn't look like fat to me (For the record, my tumor was benign and I'm now recovered and have a lovely daughter from my one remaining ovary. So as awful as the whole experience was, I'm ok and now I'm able to focus on my health without the extra crazy.)
  • eidnahenri2
    Options
    Excessive cortisol can cause a belly to look like yours (and mine), so that might be something you might want to ask your doctor about. There are lots of ways for people to reduce cortisol, like get enough sleep, eliminate as much stress as possible, cut out caffeine, and others your doctor should be able to explain to you, if indeed this is your problem.

My belly has always looked like yours, even when the rest of me was painfully thin. Turns out cortisol was my problem, which was almost a relief to learn, since that meant (in my own mind) that I could stop hating myself for whatever I falsely imagined I had done so wrong to look like that. Of course, in reality, "that" never looked as bad to others as it did to myself. Due to a birth defect (discovered in my mid-30s), which the risk of attempting to correct outweighs the potential benefit, I still produce too much cortisol, and I still do look like that, but now I don't beat myself up over it. Stressing about it only makes it worse. I still get asked when my baby is due, but now I just tell those people she was due 25 years ago :ohwell:

And I agree with the others who have said you're adorable :flowerforyou: