Guns

Options

Replies

• GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned that shooting is fun. And it's a lot harder to hit the target than a non-shooter thinks it is.

Guess you missed my post just a couple up from you :tongue:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I'd be more scared of baby eating dingo's than guns.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Because we're obsessed with them. It's apparently required to get your birth certificate here: "lovely little girl you have there, Mrs. Smith- does she love guns? You know you're required to have both a car seat and her own personally engraved rifle before you leave with her, right? Great, great, here's her certificate."

Spoken by someone who lives in a state with some of the most draconian firearm laws in the U.S.

( and one of the highest crime rate......go figure.....)

I don't even know what the firearm laws are in my state. I don't own a gun and never intend to. I have done target shooting and it was a lot of fun, but I see no good reason to own one.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am not scared enough to feel that I require a gun.

Right!? Why would I ever need a gun, other than a hunting riffle if I hunted, I just don't get the point of owning guns(other than hunting riffles). It must be the Canadian in me

Generally, the response from many permitholders is that they're not scared, either.

Some are. I can't deny that.

But there are many who simply look around, see that there are potential threats, and simply wish to have a means of dealing with them on the off-chance one of those threats presents itself.

It's the same reason I have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit with Quik Clot and a tourniquet in my car. I'm not EXPECTING to get into or pass by a major accident, but I know they happen. So I like to think that if my or someone elses' car catches fire, I've got the extinguisher. If there's an accident where someone's bleeding severely, I've got equipment to help deal with it.

So are the odds of me facing a deadly threat great? Not really. I tend to avoid high-threat environments. But I think I can speak for the majority of us when I say that, if we knew we were going to be attacked at a given time and place, we'd avoid it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Fair point. I should have said "NYC." I lived there for several years and the elitism was overwhelming. I seemed to have just made the same mistake. Fortunately, I have hiked through the Adirondacks so I have seen upstate.

No worries, and sorry if I sounded offended...I wasn't, not really, just trying to clarify for those who don't know that Upstate exists. I will be the first to admit that those of us who live upstate are pretty sensitive about everyone assuming that NY is NYC. Nevermind that our gun laws have been rammed through by politicians who pander to the city and forget we exist. Ahhh, but that's for another thread.

This time of year is the best for hiking the Adirondacks, some serious beauty going on with the change of the seasons.

They are gorgeous and the little towns I hiked through were wonderfully accommodating. I'll have to that again at some point, but I'm now living back home in Florida. Once my kids are a little older, I'll have to take them. I'm missing the change of seasons.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why do so many Americans have gun pictures on here? It is a bit scary.Thank god we can't in Australia just have them on us.....no not religious.. I couldn't handle the thought that anyone walking down the street has a gun on them. How do you handle it? Surely it is frightening. Turns me off going there for a holiday.

I laughed so hard I peed a little.

Stay on your island.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Because we're obsessed with them. It's apparently required to get your birth certificate here: "lovely little girl you have there, Mrs. Smith- does she love guns? You know you're required to have both a car seat and her own personally engraved rifle before you leave with her, right? Great, great, here's her certificate."

Spoken by someone who lives in a state with some of the most draconian firearm laws in the U.S.

I don't even know what the firearm laws are in my state. I don't own a gun and never intend to. I have done target shooting and it was a lot of fun, but I see no good reason to own one.

Then you need to read up on them.....our rights are being eroded away....just because you don't care for firearms, you should still know your local laws.

Anyway, I'm going to get off my soapbox now....

I use firearms for protection and for subsistence hunting...my family lives off of what I bring home....
  • dbmata
    Options
    two weekends ago, i passed by a guy walking with his girlfriend/wife at the mall and he had a holstered 9mm in open view. he did not look like an off-duty cop to me either. it didn't bother me at all. we have open carry here in El Paso county. :)

I'm still trying to figure out what "an off-duty cop" is supposed to look like???????????

Looks like someone I'd be afraid to take my dog around. Out here in WA where I live, the only dangerous gun owners around here are the police.
  • StheK
    Options

Right!? Why would I ever need a gun, other than a hunting riffle if I hunted, I just don't get the point of owning guns(other than hunting riffles). It must be the Canadian in me

Generally, the response from many permitholders is that they're not scared, either.

But there are many who simply look around, see that there are potential threats, and simply wish to have a means of dealing with them on the off-chance one of those threats presents itself.

It's the same reason I have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit with Quik Clot and a tourniquet in my car. I'm not EXPECTING to get into or pass by a major accident, but I know they happen. So I like to think that if my or someone elses' car catches fire, I've got the extinguisher. If there's an accident where someone's bleeding severely, I've got equipment to help deal with it.

So are the odds of me facing a deadly threat great? Not really. I tend to avoid high-threat environments. But I think I can speak for the majority of us when I say that, if we knew we were going to be attacked at a given time and place, we'd avoid it.

Your logic is seriously flawed. Obviously it makes you feel more comfortable to have the gun, but there's no logic behind that feeling. I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, because emotions aren't about right or wrong- but the fact is that not only is there a huge different between a gun and all those other tools you listed, there is also a much greater chance that your gun will be used to harm you or someone you care about than that it will be used to protect anyone. These are the facts.
  • csuhar
    Options
    No one has mentioned that shooting is fun. And it's a lot harder to hit the target than a non-shooter thinks it is.

It's a lot like golf in that respect. Until you try to send that ball to the pin, yourself, it's difficult to understand what it's like.
  • dbmata
    Options

Then you need to read up on them.....our rights are being eroded away....just because you don't care for firearms, you should still know your local laws.

I use firearms for protection and for subsistence hunting...my family lives off of what I bring home....

Nice rifle... *envious a touch*
  • dbmata
    Options

It's a lot like golf in that respect. Until you try to send that ball to the pin, yourself, it's difficult to understand what it's like.

pfffft. I only play GTA and Black Ops and I'm lethal out to 3km, which is like what... 45 feet american, right?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

The Canadian in me (and about 2 million others) enjoys guns (per my profile pics). I am not a hunter nor is anyone in my family. We all enjoy sport shooting at our local range. Golfers, archers enjoy ranges for the same reason. It's competitive, fun and safe.

Every non gun owner who I have taken to the range has come back smiling. Give it a try sometime.

I've been to the range a few times, I just don't see the need for people to have access to weapons that can kill a roomful of people in 1 minute. I also don't understand the people that say "a car can be a weapon" It could be a weapon but it's main function is driving, what is the main function of a gun!? To shoot things!?
  • StheK
    Options

I'd love to hear how our right to bear arms is being eroded away. Nobody can ever tell me. In the past 6 years gun rights have actually INCREASED in this country. Seriously. Look it up. This thing about our rights being eroded away? Sure, it's happening- there's the Patriot Act, and Citizens United, and the gutting of the voting act, and a hundred more I could name- but gun rights? No, those are actually increasing. Not even kidding. I dare you to prove me wrong.
  • dbmata
    Options

The Canadian in me (and about 2 million others) enjoys guns (per my profile pics). I am not a hunter nor is anyone in my family. We all enjoy sport shooting at our local range. Golfers, archers enjoy ranges for the same reason. It's competitive, fun and safe.

Every non gun owner who I have taken to the range has come back smiling. Give it a try sometime.

I've been to the range a few times, I just don't see the need for people to have access to weapons that can kill a roomful of people in 1 minute. I also don't understand the people that say "a car can be a weapon" It could be a weapon but it's main function is driving, what is the main function of a gun!? To shoot things!?

Would you be alarmed if I told you I have enough sodium nitrate in my house to quietly, painlessly, and undetectably kill a room full of at least 150 people?

Isn't it amazing I haven't done it yet? Also, the main function argument is pretty ridiculous at best, it's about the weakest you could come up with. :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Your logic is seriously flawed. Obviously it makes you feel more comfortable to have the gun, but there's no logic behind that feeling. I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, because emotions aren't about right or wrong- but the fact is that not only is there a huge different between a gun and all those other tools you listed, there is also a much greater chance that your gun will be used to harm you or someone you care about than that it will be used to protect anyone. These are the facts.

Having done a fair amount of research on this during law school and in connection with a risk analysis course during my MBA, I will tell you that the research that you are probably thinking about, but not quoting, is seriously flawed.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

It is totally the Canadian in you because I don't get it either.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yup, those have already been outed as bs, BeachIron.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options

And who determines what things are shot? To the best of my knowledge my guns have never jumped out of my safe, loaded themselves and gone on a rampage. I have shot a lot of paper though.

Who determines when a car plows into a group of people? What about knives? If you got fat, would you blame the fork?

Flawed logic.
  • csuhar
    Options

Actually, there is logic.

You see, I'm a cop. That is one of the various FACTS of my life.

For me, the firearm I put on my hip when I go to work is as much a tool as my first aid kit, my radio, my handcuffs, and my fire extinguisher. It doesn't make me a bigger man. It doesn't make me better than anybody. It is simply a tool that I can use when the circumstances require it. None of that changes when I reach the end of my shift.