Guns

Options

Replies

• IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm from GA.

Some of us still go out and hunt for our food. We get licenses, permits,and background checks are given on those that purchase hand guns now. At least, it was on me when I recently purchased my husband a new glock.

I was raised around shot guns, my husband was a cop, our first date was on a firing range- there's nothing to fear about them or think they are scary unless you are unfamiliar with them OR have had a bad personal experience.

Just my .02.

I like your .02.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY!!! You are alive! Just like our perception here is that in Australia every step you take might be your last because a 20ft Saltie will eat you, or some freaky poisonous spider the size of a dinner plate will attach itself to your face vis a vis Alien, your perception is that it's the wild wild west here and everyone has a gun and will shoot you down at high noon. It's ingrained in our culture, and responsible gun owners are no threat to you. Neither perceptions are correct.
    Beautifully said.

And this x2
  • George1567
    Options
    two weekends ago, i passed by a guy walking with his girlfriend/wife at the mall and he had a holstered 9mm in open view. he did not look like an off-duty cop to me either. it didn't bother me at all. we have open carry here in El Paso county. :)

I'm still trying to figure out what "an off-duty cop" is supposed to look like???????????
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I wish we could open or conceal carry in Canada. I'd be the first in line for that permit. Now my guns are double locked in the house and can only go from the house to the range and back. Any thing else and they'll throw the book at me.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    NY is very safe though. No one gets drug out of their cars and beaten by biker gangs or anything because the cops are everywhere . . .
    And when seconds count, the police are only minutes away...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I wish we could open or conceal carry in Canada. I'd be the first in line for that permit. Now my guns are double locked in the house and can only go from the house to the range and back. Any thing else and they'll throw the book at me.
    I haz a Canada sad. I just remembered the other reason (besides snow) that I could never spend significant time there...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what do you have against showing off guns?

hJjoNdz.jpg?1

**drool**

Why do you think he's on my friends list? Hot!

was. til you booted me off

:cry:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to pack. That way, if some guy decides to shoot up a movie theater, I could do something about it. Plus, if maniacs know the general population is carrying, I'll bet they'll think twice about that stunt in the first place.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Loved the replies. When it's time to wake up I will read them properly. The birds won't stop chirping!
  • mockchoc
    Options
    what do you have against showing off guns?

hJjoNdz.jpg?1

Noooooooooooo........get back here! Did I? lol..
    **drool**

Why do you think he's on my friends list? Hot!

was. til you booted me off

:cry:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    two weekends ago, i passed by a guy walking with his girlfriend/wife at the mall and he had a holstered 9mm in open view. he did not look like an off-duty cop to me either. it didn't bother me at all. we have open carry here in El Paso county. :)

I'm still trying to figure out what "an off-duty cop" is supposed to look like???????????

there's a look. the same way off duty military have a look.

and it's not THIS look. :tongue:

5RzgDEl6QKmgD5de5efS_red_neck.jpg
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure what they mean is that an off-duty copy may still have some cuffs, a badge, or other indication that he is a cop, not a guy just carrying a gun, albeit legally.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Open carry is relatively common here in AZ.
    I've been out places many times with people around me that were carrying a sidearm.

If you're interested in the laws in your state, a number of them are covered in a series of books. The *** Gun Owner's Guide. Arizona, Florida, Texas, Virginia, and Gun Laws of America.

I co-authored the Virginia book. (No, this isn't an advertisement. I no longer get money from sales of the book.)
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I used to fall prey to every stereotype I heard about other countries. Now that I have traveled extensively, I realize that this is a mistake. I thought all French women were models and I was so afraid that I would look like a frumpy, short American standing next to one. They look like every other human being. Also, most were very friendly!

I understand your concerns because it does seem like we are violent people. In light of current events, I would be lying if I said that I am not more alert when we go in public.

But, I promise that most of us are law abiding citizens. I'm from Texas and we do tend to have more than one gun. It's definitely part of our culture, but you need not worry about getting shot by a responsible gun owner. Unless you plan on breaking in our home or car jacking us, you will be okay. :wink:

As for people posting pics of guns on social media sites, I think it's immature. I consider it bragging or an effort to feel like a bad *kitten*. I don't post firearm pics. This is just my opinion.
  • AyeCorona
    AyeCorona Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm from GA.

Some of us still go out and hunt for our food. We get licenses, permits,and background checks are given on those that purchase hand guns now. At least, it was on me when I recently purchased my husband a new glock.

I was raised around shot guns, my husband was a cop, our first date was on a firing range- there's nothing to fear about them or think they are scary unless you are unfamiliar with them OR have had a bad personal experience.

Just my .02.

^^This. I sell firearms and every person wishing to purchase must complete the 4473 and then I call a direct number to the ATF. The background check is very thorough as the governement knows a lot more about your history than you think.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Notice all the places/cities that guns are not permitted, is where the mass shootings happen!! :huh:

I am a carry conceal holder!! :bigsmile:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

there's a look. the same way off duty military have a look.

and it's not THIS look. :tongue:

5RzgDEl6QKmgD5de5efS_red_neck.jpg

You haven't seen the cops where I live.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Some states you can't carry, concealed or not. But you would be surprised at how many CCPs /CCW owners there are....I would not open carry since I have my CCW permit..but you woulndn't know I would be carrying. That doesn't mean that you should be afraid, you should be aware and have SA of all your surroundings. Have a great day.

someone with a concealed carry licence doesn't scare me at all, but I'm from Texas and know all the checks you had to go through to get that licence (regardless of what state you're in, Texas just happens to be a state with a lot of concealed carry people).

I'd actually like to see a breakdown of crimes committed by those who have that license vs. citizens who don't. Probably pretty shocking.
    That lovely newspaper in NY published every legal gunowner's address in the state so start there!

I'd be seriously ticked. The newspaper here has a database by street, which is only slightly better.

NY is very safe though. No one gets drug out of their cars and beaten by biker gangs or anything because the cops are everywhere . . .

<--- Concealed Carry permit holder in NY and just want to clarify a couple things. There's a huge state above NYC (if I'm not mistaken it was downstate that the biker gang thing happened), most of which would like to disown that portion of the state or give it to NJ. You'll find some VERY rural places up here and lots of us carry. The bikers might think twice about doing something like that in my neck of the woods. We have pretty strict gun laws, just recently made worse (erm, I mean better) by the NY Safe Act. That's the same law that made it possible for that newspaper to print the names and addresses of CC permit holders, but it was only one county not the entire state. My county recently had a request for the same info but our Sheriff declined the request, much to my everlating happiness.

Oh, and we're not reciprocal with anyone so I also have my Utah permit.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    I thought you didn't know I existed.. sorry.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When you outlaw guns... only outlaws will have them.
    I have lived here my whole life... 39 years.
    I have only seen guns held by police, criminals or at private ranges.
    I have never seem a decent gun owner walking around brandishing a gun in public.

Here in America... every district that has extreme gun control of the populace is a crime zone.
    I don't own a gun, but I support the general population responsibly owning firearms.
    Beware any government 'by the people' who wishes to disarm itself.