Guns

Options
mockchoc
mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
Why do so many Americans have gun pictures on here? It is a bit scary.Thank god we can't in Australia just have them on us.....no not religious.. I couldn't handle the thought that anyone walking down the street has a gun on them. How do you handle it? Surely it is frightening. Turns me off going there for a holiday.

Replies

• _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Only in some states you can open carry. Most pics you see are of people in their backyard or at a range.

You're safe coming to the Maryland/DC area, we can't open carry.
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You have to have a license to carry a firearm. Depending on where you live the requirements can be quite extensive and include background checks.

And I'm just gonna stop there:)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Law abiding citizens are law abiding....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's kind of weird to me, too. In my country, the only time I have ever seen guns is holstered, on cops. I have seen them when I have travelled, but not at home.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    I wouldn't mind one. Guess this changed my mind a bit.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Law abiding citizens are law abiding....

oh stop no one breaks the law in Australia
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Thought people were going to be flashing their biceps...I am disappoint :grumble:
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You need a permit to carry a weapon. And I believe there are more non gun owners than there are gun owners, but that may also depend on the area you are from
  • mockchoc
    Options
    I'm more scared of dogs than humans anyway.. I wouldn't want to shoot one though! Guess if it's after me I might.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Thought people were going to be flashing their biceps...I am disappoint :grumble:

Yes biceps please~!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    They're just inanimate objects. Do you find it frightening if someone has a picture of a car, or a loaded barbell, in their profile pic?

I am *thrilled* to see you changed your mind a bit. Seriously. Your open-mindedness has restored a small glimmer of faith in humanity. This makes twice in two days. On MFP. Should I be frightened?! :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why do so many Americans have gun pictures on here? It is a bit scary.Thank god we can't in Australia just have them on us.....no not religious.. I couldn't handle the thought that anyone walking down the street has a gun on them. How do you handle it? Surely it is frightening. Turns me off going there for a holiday.
    Extremely few Americans are just walking around with guns.

We do, however, have a large number of people who like to hunt.

Try visiting a place before judging it.
  • _noob_
    Options
    I'm more scared of dogs than humans anyway.. I wouldn't want to shoot one though! Guess if it's after me I might.

Oh you haven't heard of the new trend? Pit bulls ARE the new "gun"...
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You need a permit to carry a weapon. And I believe there are more non gun owners than there are gun owners, but that may also depend on the area you are from

You need a permit to carry a pistol. You do not need a permit to carry a shotgun or rifle....and I would check your facts
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Very few people actually carry their weapon. And carrying isn't allowed in some public places.

I don't even own a gun, though I know lots who do. I think there are more people like me that don't own a gun than actually do.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options

I believe there are quite a few Americans walking around with guns. I carry, my H does as do 2 out of 4 of my neighbors... however I'm in Texas
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I believe there are quite a few Americans walking around with guns. I carry, my H does as do 2 out of 4 of my neighbors... however I'm in Texas
    Sure, But it's not as if every person you pass on the street is packing heat.

ETA: I don't have a problem with guns. I know lots of people who legally own them and would never use them ohe than self-defense or for hunting.
  • _noob_
    Options

and politically and philosophically this is why an army wouldn't just be able to roll into and roll over the United States and its land during a time of war...as every Jane and John Doe would have to be expected to be armed.
  • YouMadBro8281
    Options
    Some states you can't carry, concealed or not. But you would be surprised at how many CCPs /CCW owners there are....I would not open carry since I have my CCW permit..but you woulndn't know I would be carrying. That doesn't mean that you should be afraid, you should be aware and have SA of all your surroundings. Have a great day.

ETA : I also believe CCW owners should be trained every 6 months...but alas that's for a different thread.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what do you have against showing off guns?

hJjoNdz.jpg?1