Do Carbs Really Matter?

Options
124»

Replies

• blessybuva
    blessybuva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have found that I lose weight at a quicker pace when cutting out carbs. whenever I crave them I just eat an apple or something similar. its hard as hell to stay away from the potatoes, pasta and bread but you make due with other similar things. I now find that I enjoy my meals alot more since I there are no carbs in them. you can still have a very 'cereal-like' breakfast that's very low in carbs or just filled with really healthy ones. example: greek yogurt with linseeds, sunflower seeds or any other along with rapsberries, apples and a peach. always works for me and keeps me full for hours.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    edited for...nevermind
  • hookilau
    Options
    I've tried cutting back on carbs before, but just end up feeling fatigued with headaches if I cut them right down.

At least now I try to eat the right kind of carbs in moderation, rather than stuffing my face full of the bad ones regularly.

There are no "good and bad"

I beg to differ.

Good carbs: 100% semolina pasta! cooked al dente

Bad carbs: freaking whole wheat pasta. Gross, man.

So when you eat a so called "bad carb" your body knows it's a "bad carb?" wow! LOL

I can say unequivocally...my body knows bad carbs when I eat them.
    The reaction is almost immediate.
  • hookilau
    Options
    *PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE*

Because someone will argue that carbs matter, because carbs spike insulin, and insulin is bad, so carbs are the devil. They will then argue the benefits of a ketogenic diet, and how absent of carbs there is no insulin, so you can't get fat, and that is why they lost weight.

They will argue this point against calories in vs calories out, with no understanding that insulin is not the sole hormone responsible for fat storage, nor the only factor in fat storage. This person will then blindly argue their point, not understanding insulin is released when protein is ingested as well, and that insulin is always present at basal levels. This person will spew something about ketones, without knowing about or understanding gluconeogenisis, glycerol and ketogenesis.

They will argue that they burn fat for fuel, and it doesn't matter how much fat they eat, because they will burn it. Sadly, they will not understand net fat storage, and that dietary fat can, and is, stored as fat.

Finally, this person will have no valid medical or metabolic reason to limit carbs or follow a ketogenic diet.

It will happen... We've seen it a thousand times!!

tumblr_ly7f9ociaz1qm6oc3o1_500.gif
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    the only thing I find wrong with carbs is it takes lots of calories worth to feel full..

Yup, I can eat a lot of delicious bread and still be hungry, but feed me something high in protein with some fat in there too, and I can be satisfied much more easily. I still eat carbs, but I usually avoid fluffy breads and go for whole grains in small portions. I used to make carbs the focus of a meal: lots of white rice or pasta...but I was always hungry no matter how full my belly was. Now I load up on lean proteins and veggies, and feel satisfied with much less food.

But in the end...yeah, it's about calories. Eating fewer high carb foods just makes it easier for me to stick to my goal.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    the only thing I find wrong with carbs is it takes lots of calories worth to feel full.

EG I would be quite happy to eat four slices of toast with butter and jam. Maybe six. But stopping at two? Can't even consider it.

So I avoid bread entirely.

I eat rice and cornflakes and such though. Just eat what you want to eat.

I used to as well. But now a started to eat 1-3 peices a day with jam or choc PB, and it works just fine!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    7y2GVFA.jpg
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    bought about a dozen of Krispy Kreme Krispy Skremes for Halloween--I automatically plan on eating about half that box because I know there is no way I can hold back).
    Your question isn't about a specific macro, it's about a lack of self control.

A just bought a dozen jars of peanut butter - I automatically plan on eating half of them because I love peanut butter.

Do fats really matter?
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    YTRYYUGUHUIJIPJK
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bought a kitchen scale yesterday. Thanks!
  • Fivepts
    Options
    Cutting carbs make you lose weight quickly, But when I cut them out of my diet ALOT I ended up binging on bread as my body was craving it.

I would keep them in your diet, but eat healthy carbs, Brown bread, brown pasta, veggies, fruit, oats etc.

I would also up your protein. Peanut butter - Good fats, Eggs, Cottage cheese, Nuts, Chicken, fish, Veg, fruit - berries etc.
  • Fivepts
    Options
    Very helpful. And...I want my tummy to look like yours!