Unsupportive family and food.

Options
124»

Replies

• elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    hi just wanted to say hang in there I know it can be hard, particularly when you feel a loss of control over your surroundings or self. it sounds like you are on the right track though - I read from the beginning of this thread until now and I see your posts changing slightly so that in your last one you are taking a look at the things you can control - i.e. your reaction to the sabotage attempts and starting to plan ahead. I think planning ahead is a big part of overcoming this obstacle (until you can move out anyway) - thinking ahead about what you are going to eat, and when, who you will eat it with, and what you will do at the next negative comment... excellent start.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    For when you want to binge: "I will not eat this food because it will make me feel weak and regretful. I do not need this food. I eat to nourish my body and keep it healthy for life. I eat healthy foods because they provide my body with the nutrients it needs and deserves, and makes me feel good."

Great thought. I love the first sentence and plan to email it to my office email.

I don't have a home like the OP, but the OP's home is almost like my office, swimming in sugar and junk food -- very hard for a sugar addict like me to resist.
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    hi just wanted to say hang in there I know it can be hard, particularly when you feel a loss of control over your surroundings or self. it sounds like you are on the right track though - I read from the beginning of this thread until now and I see your posts changing slightly so that in your last one you are taking a look at the things you can control - i.e. your reaction to the sabotage attempts and starting to plan ahead. I think planning ahead is a big part of overcoming this obstacle (until you can move out anyway) - thinking ahead about what you are going to eat, and when, who you will eat it with, and what you will do at the next negative comment... excellent start.

There are some people on here with really amazing advice and they come off with such a positive and optimistic air that I guess it's just rubbing off on me right now haha
  • cdwwench
    cdwwench Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    rosieannaxo, just checking to see how you are doing. It can be so discouraging when family members aren't willing to help. Luckily, as a mom, I was able to say "No food except in the kitchen!" I understand that you would really like their support to eating better, or at least not leaving their food out. If you ask them to be cleaner and keeping food in the kitchen so the place would be easier to clean and look better, you may get a better reception.

I also have to work on not binging. I drink water and walk around for 10-15 minutes before eating a portion that I have measured and dished out for myself. I would recommend that you try to balance fat, carbs, protein before just watching sugar. See how the foods track in MFP. Keep working out and add in some weight training and high intensity aspects to the workouts. Hang in there and good luck.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I live alone, and my refrigerator is literally empty, I don't keep stuff in the house. My downfall is where I work, tempting goodies are always around. It's taught me discipline, though. I know that if I eat it, I have to log it, and that makes it less likely that I'm going to give in to temptation. Now I welcome all the goodies and treats. Watch me not eat them! :devil:
  • HeartlessHurricane
    Options
    You're 21. Move out. There's nothing like having your own fridge and putting whatever you want in it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Can you move into your own apartment? Or if you are a student can you live on campus instead?

Unfortunately, we are in the time of year where junk foods abound. Most people are not going to give up their favorite seasonal foods, even if they know it isn't healthy.

Your best bet is to move into your own place as soon as you can. To make that happen quickly, spend most of your free time working to save up money for an apartment and/or student housing.
  • caseyt0911
    Options
    I'm a little annoyed by some of the comments in here. No offense to some of you that made them, but there is nothing wrong with needing support from your family to be successful at something. One of the most important things to being successful at breaking habits is having a great supporting cast. Basically telling the OP to suck it up and deal with it on her own, how is that helping her? Grr..

OP....It sucks that your family doesn't support you at all, and even go as far as to taunt you with junk food, they should be ashamed. All I can recommend is, if you ever feel that overwhelming urge to grab a brownie, just go to google....type in "fat people"....and then click images. Check out those pics for a bit and see if the urge for the brownie goes away.

Good luck....BE STRONG!!
  • Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm a little annoyed by some of the comments in here. No offense to some of you that made them, but there is nothing wrong with needing support from your family to be successful at something. One of the most important things to being successful at breaking habits is having a great supporting cast. Basically telling the OP to suck it up and deal with it on her own, how is that helping her? Grr..

OP....It sucks that your family doesn't support you at all, and even go as far as to taunt you with junk food, they should be ashamed. All I can recommend is, if you ever feel that overwhelming urge to grab a brownie, just go to google....type in "fat people"....and then click images. Check out those pics for a bit and see if the urge for the brownie goes away.

Good luck....BE STRONG!!
    great post!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Well as someone older (I could be your mom) and has 3 kids.. I own my kitchen; however, it IS all about control throughout the house. I have kids that get their snacks, my husband eats like pure crap with all kinds of chips, cookies etc... I still buy them when I shop..

On the flip side, I buy all my own stuff as well and if they touch it - they know I will break their hands :) they can have theirs and I can have mine. I see it in all the time on the counters, pantries (3 of them), cabinets etc.. I don't let it bother me and just move on. I watch them eat what they want as I eat my cottage cheese (but hey, I like my cottage cheese!).

The point is, even as you get older with your own kitchen - it goes the same way. It comes down to being able to say No. I took my 6 year old trick or treating last night. Knowing that I LOVE milk duds, she gave me 3 of those little boxes. I ate one and logged it (woohoo treat time!). I said no to the rest as she sat eating her candy.

It will ALWAYS be in your face, in your house, on the counters, in the cabinets, and in the store - just face it and say no. Someone at work today brought in doughnuts - I said No. We have a potluck today - I will measure out my stuff and say no to the rest. I get weird looks and my husband FREQUENTLY says "Oh you can have that" when I say no. I don't let it bother me - when they want to change for them then they will. Until then, this is for me.
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't live with family but I feel for you. If I had brownies and candy around I would totally eat it. Occasionally I buy Nutella for my husband but I end up eating half a jar in one sitting! I wish I had an answer. All I can say is ask them to hide the stuff - ideally in a place that you don't know of. Out of sight out of mind.

Good luck!!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Another way to deal with people who try to sabotage you—sabotage them right back. Pick up nice fattening cupcakes from the store, and leave them out for them. Watch them grow. Two can play this game. :devil:
  • avasavonheimo
    Options
    if it was me, I'd take it all outside to the trash and that's the way it would be, and if they brought more in, i'd put my foot so far up... well, I think you get the picture
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    if it was me, I'd take it all outside to the trash and that's the way it would be, and if they brought more in, i'd put my foot so far up... well, I think you get the picture

This post is a year old. And FWIW, if you threw out MY food, in MY house, my foot would be up your *kitten* all the way to the kerb. Who the hell are you to impose your food choices on the rest of the household?