Every belly dancing instructor I've seen is overweight.

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Every girl on MFP is clueless about her period.

and full of toxins.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Every guy who PMs a girl here is asking for nude pictures.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

PM sent!

Wait...wut?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Every girl on MFP is clueless about her period.

and full of toxins.

LIONS & TOXINS & BEERS!!! OH MY!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

^ You weren't? Well, this is awkard......
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options

PM sent!

Wait...wut?

ha!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

It was me gorgeous!:flowerforyou:
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    I don't always think it is what you weight I think it is how you carry it and belly dancers pull it off well! :O
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Every girl who is on my friend list wants to send me nude pictures.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

It was me gorgeous!:flowerforyou:

Damn, now I look like a *kitten*.....
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just an observation.

Seriously, this seems to defy odds. If they were a sample of average population, at least 1/3 of them would be normal weight.
    And, it is an active job, and they work out all the time, yet, wow!

Or have your experience been different?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UveMoL-S75Q - Some people would think Sadie has a belly...but I would kill to have her abs/body. She's considered the #1 belly dancer in the world!

I guess I don't understand the purpose of bringing attention to non-perfect bodies in anything. It all just feels like body shaming to me.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Personally I'm not even going to think about complaining....
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are looking. My teacher has been dancing/teaching for 30+ years and is 66 now. She has gained weight over the years partly because of numerous injuries, havinga day job, 2 kids, etc. but despite that there are days she moves amazing and other ones not so much. I definitely agree with everyone who has said belly dancing is all inclusive for age size shape, ethnicity, etc. It is and it's wonderful. Being larger means it's easier to get my shimmies to move everything. The thing about belly-dancing is that it doesn't necessarily burn that many calories, while it works numerous muscles. I've wore my pedometer during class 1.5 hours and barely got a mile while movign the entire time.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Echoing that belly dance is for celebrating the body that you have - regardless of its size or age.. It's a 3000 year old tradition passed down by the grandmothers. I don't dance just for my audience, I dance for myself and for all the women who came before me and will come after.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Echoing that belly dance is for celebrating the body that you have - regardless of its size or age.. It's a 3000 year old tradition passed down by the grandmothers. I don't dance just for my audience, I dance for myself and for all the women who came before me and will come after.

:heart:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Aren't they kind of required to have a high body fat percentage anyway?

Doesn't that make the belly rolling easier or something?

look up Rachel Brice no body fat there and she is a knock out, and my old instructor Barb Buchannan is awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN3IyjsDAgQ she is the one dancing here

Rachel and Mardi Love were my instructors! Mardi has some serious curves, and she works them hard. Rachel is solid as a rock, in person too. She doesn't have much to shake, but it looks so fabulous seeing all the muscles move with such control and isolation.

Belly dance just looks wonderful on most women's bodies, imho. It's so very hard, too. I love it.

Y'all watch Mardi do her thing (and she has always stayed that size). Think of the muscles it takes to do these moves:
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fifge62L71Y[/url]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fifge62L71Y

If anyone isn't familiar with Rachel's dancing, check her out, too! It's really interesting seeing how the dances look on each body type, I think :)
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and I'm a pretty useful tap dancer, tapping expends a fair amount of energy.

You also see a lot of overweight people running and at the gym, go figure :P
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Just an observation.

Seriously, this seems to defy odds. If they were a sample of average population, at least 1/3 of them would be normal weight.
    And, it is an active job, and they work out all the time, yet, wow!

Or have your experience been different?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UveMoL-S75Q - Some people would think Sadie has a belly...but I would kill to have her abs/body. She's considered the #1 belly dancer in the world!

I guess I don't understand the purpose of bringing attention to non-perfect bodies in anything. It all just feels like body shaming to me.

I the video you posted she had just given birth, here is a more updated video and the belly is gone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5wMRlZYnQ
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    NO idea what you're talking about. Any belly dancer/instructor Ive seen has never been overweight. At most they've had wider hips/been curvy.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I watch some on youtube they look great to me not sure what your talking about, but then never actually been to a real class. I love dancing around my living room in my belly dancing outfit. I would never do it in public though lol