All the curvy ladies...all the curvy ladies

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

During the past year, when discussing the topic of icing damaged tissue, I have learned to lead with the following information.

1) Icing damaged tissue does not prevent inflammation it merely delays inflammation (by the way, good thing it does not prevent inflammation; if it did, the tissue would not heal. Related questions; “Why would you want to delay healing? Or more importantly, do you actually believe that you are more qualified to regulate your body’s natural healing process then your innate intelligence?”)

2) Icing damage tissue does not reduce swelling (in fact, it will likely increase swelling)

3) Icing damaged tissue does not accelerate healing (in fact, it will likely cause additional damage)

Here’s a final thought to ponder;

Seriously … do you honestly believe that your body’s natural inflammatory response is a mistake and/or that incapacitating your muscles will somehow (magically) improve lymphatic drainage?

The science behind it is to STOP the inflammation response, which can sometimes be pathologically excessive. Then when the ice is removed, blood flow to the injured area is INCREASED.

It works man. You are talking to a woman who used to sit in a bathtub of ice after 20 milers. My legs would feel fresh as a daisy the next day. If I skipped the ice I was in for a WORLD of hurt.
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It's to help reduce the pain associated with swelling, and decrease the amount of blood flow to the area (which is what causes swelling). As for the damage from icing that is if you are putting it directly on it, which crystallizes the tissue and prevents healing, but you should also be putting a barrier such as a cloth to prevent this.

You are more than entitled to your opinion and research, but I am following medical protocol, as many health care providers will agree with.
    We can sit and argue what's best, but why bother?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread has taken a turn.

tumblr_ll45hrHy3u1qgx57t_zpsed9a88f4.gif
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options

During the past year, when discussing the topic of icing damaged tissue, I have learned to lead with the following information.

1) Icing damaged tissue does not prevent inflammation it merely delays inflammation (by the way, good thing it does not prevent inflammation; if it did, the tissue would not heal. Related questions; “Why would you want to delay healing? Or more importantly, do you actually believe that you are more qualified to regulate your body’s natural healing process then your innate intelligence?”)

2) Icing damage tissue does not reduce swelling (in fact, it will likely increase swelling)

3) Icing damaged tissue does not accelerate healing (in fact, it will likely cause additional damage)

Here’s a final thought to ponder;

Seriously … do you honestly believe that your body’s natural inflammatory response is a mistake and/or that incapacitating your muscles will somehow (magically) improve lymphatic drainage?

The science behind it is to STOP the inflammation response, which can sometimes be pathologically excessive. Then when the ice is removed, blood flow to the injured area is INCREASED.

It works man. You are talking to a woman who used to sit in a bathtub of ice after 20 milers. My legs would feel fresh as a daisy the next day. If I skipped the ice I was in for a WORLD of hurt.

ice slows down the ENTIRE process... why would you want todo that?

contraction and movement are what eject structural proteins... not freezing the tissues...

inflammation is literally a major major component of healing...in fact, you cannot heal without inflammation.(think of what macrophages do, they actually remove the scar tissues which is necessary or else the body will start to attack the living and healthy tissue, ice slows this process down, in fact ice increases creatine phsphokinase, increasing muscle damage AND nerve damage)

The body is a nueromuscular system driven by inhibition and disinhibition. How can disinhibiting the inflammatory and movement processes possibly help anything???? Fact is, it cant... we have been making a grave mistake forever with this icing garbage.

Systematically Compress, elevate, MOVE properly!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    So I did some quick perusing. Some studies have been done on the topic, but the results are inconclusive. Common sense dictates making sure that you are not causing frostbite to the skin, and less vascular tissues such as ligaments and tendons may not respond as well to icing. For me, icing provides a lot of relief and I have never had a chronic injury that did not respond to it. The reason I gave up running (for the time being) was pregnancy, and just haven't gotten back into it.

Edit: You are not freezing the tissues. If you do that, you are doing it wrong. :noway:

Certainly you are welcome to not ice your injuries. Makes no nevermind to me. But it is an interesting topic!

And yes, I am familiar with the inflammation cascade. I am a research biologist, so the science behind injuries and healing are fairly well known to me.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options
    It's to help reduce the pain associated with swelling, and decrease the amount of blood flow to the area (which is what causes swelling). As for the damage from icing that is if you are putting it directly on it, which crystallizes the tissue and prevents healing, but you should also be putting a barrier such as a cloth to prevent this.

You are more than entitled to your opinion and research, but I am following medical protocol, as many health care providers will agree with.
    We can sit and argue what's best, but why bother?

The medical protocol is antiquated and needs to be updated. You have to do what you do, but icing is absolutely counter productive to promoting healing and really it doesnt even stop swelling(it only delays it and does more damage to the actual internal tissue, not only the skin,while doing so)

ice is basically good to drop core temperature under the armpits
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    The medical protocol is antiquated and needs to be updated. You have to do what you do, but icing is absolutely counter productive to promoting healing and really it doesnt even stop swelling(it only delays it and does more damage to the actual internal tissue, not only the skin,while doing so)

ice is basically good to drop core temperature under the armpits

I think you are forgetting to state In My Opinion. As posted earlier, the studies done on the question have been INCONCLUSIVE.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Options
    So I did some quick perusing. Some studies have been done on the topic, but the results are inconclusive. Common sense dictates making sure that you are not causing frostbite to the skin, and less vascular tissues such as ligaments and tendons may not respond as well to icing. For me, icing provides a lot of relief and I have never had a chronic injury that did not respond to it. The reason I gave up running (for the time being) was pregnancy, and just haven't gotten back into it.

Im just saying if you think about the science of actually helping the body to go through its natural healing process, what good could ice possibly do?

Compared to promoting muscular contraction and a negative compression in the lymphatic system to remove the damaged tissue and replace it with healing tissues....

pain is directly related to congestion of the areas, if you can compress and de-congest the areas then pain WILL be reduced...as opposed to numbing the area with ice which is absolutely counter-intuitive to what the body naturally does.

if you think about it and if you are in the pits working with athletes on a daily basis like I do you will start to see that the ice is really counterproductive
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    don't forget "portly"

ETA: and "husky"
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I started a topic on icing in fitness after reading this exchange. I'm interested to hear alternative views after spending lots of time icing an injury per my doctor and getting temporary relief but no healing.
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm sturdy. :flowerforyou:

I'm sturdily big boned and curvy :smokin:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I shopped in "plus sized" stores....but I was obese...fat. Why should I try to mask it with some PC term?
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Two for well-rounded, please! Use fat if you must .. I have alot of it but it's going away slowly and I'm doing something about it. That's all that matters :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm skin and bones now :noway: ... Yet I have boobs and a *kitten* :tongue:
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me think of this

Women's excuses applied to men:

1000358_432211096898156_1008976311_n_zpse5edcd57.jpg
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I'll put an onion ring on it.

nah meen?
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally curvy (small waist, wide hips, & bubble butt) & i'm in NO way "plus-size".

I guess it all depends on your body frame regardless if you're "plus-sized" or thinner.
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Just creeping. Lol! I mean, curvy ladies! My fav!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    To be honest - the more overweight I got, the less curvy I was.

So I like my body better now - I actually have a waist and a neck ;-)
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm sturdy. :flowerforyou:

^^This. I swear, I have had a man tell me he likes big women, because he's not afraid he'll break them like he might a skinny woman.