Doctor Says Phentermine Long Term Not a Problem....Really?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP asks for information, receives information and then asks a certain group of people to stop responding because she is going to do it anyway? Sounds about right.

To be fair, she asked for a specific set of information.

OP, when you post on a public forum, you HAVE to expect that everyone is going to chime in with their opinion. Snarking at people who aren't giving you the feedback you want is a waste of time and energy and kinda defeats the purpose of a public forum IMHO.

EDIT: Oooh, found one study where apparently people had been on it 21 years. Wow.

________________________________________________________________________________

Int J Obes (Lond). 2013 May 17. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2013.74. [Epub ahead of print]
    Addiction potential of phentermine prescribed during long-term treatment of obesity.
    Hendricks EJ, Srisurapanont M, Schmidt SL, Haggard M, Souter S, Mitchell CL, De Marco DG, Hendricks MJ, Istratiy Y, Greenway FL.
    Source

Center for Weight Management, Roseville, CA, USA.
    Abstract

Objective:To investigate if phentermine treatment induces phentermine abuse, psychological dependence (addiction) or phentermine drug craving in overweight, obese and weight loss maintenance patients. To investigate whether amphetamine-like withdrawal occurs after abrupt cessation of long-term phentermine treatment.Design:Clinical intervention trial with interruption of phentermine treatment in long-term patients.Subjects:269 obese, overweight or formerly obese subjects (age: 20-88 years, BMI: 21-74 kg m-2) treated with phentermine long-term (LTP, N=117), 1.1-21.1 years, or short-term (ATP, N=152), 4-22 days, with phentermine doses of 18.75-112.5 (LTP) and 15-93.75 (ATP) mg per day.Measurements:Module K of the Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview modified for phentermine (MINI-SUD), Severity of Dependence Scale (SDS), 45-item Cocaine Craving Questionnaire-NOW (CCQ-NOW) modified for phentermine (PCQ-NOW), and Amphetamine Withdrawal Questionnaire (AWQ) modified for phentermine (PWQ).Results:MINI-SUD interviews were negative for phentermine abuse or psychological dependence in all LTP patients. SDS examination scores were low for all LTP and ATP patients, indicating they were not psychologically dependent upon phentermine. PCQ-NOW scores were low for all LTP and ATP patients, indicating neither short-term nor long-term phentermine treatment had induced phentermine craving. Other than an increase in hunger or eating, amphetamine-like withdrawal symptoms did not occur upon abrupt phentermine cessation as measured by sequential PWQ scores.Conclusions:Phentermine abuse or psychological dependence (addiction) does not occur in patients treated with phentermine for obesity. Phentermine treatment does not induce phentermine drug craving, a hallmark sign of addiction. Amphetamine-like withdrawal does not occur upon abrupt treatment cessation even at doses much higher than commonly recommended and after treatment durations of up to 21 years.International Journal of Obesity advance online publication, 11 June 2013; doi:10.1038/ijo.2013.74.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was just published this year. It seems that blanket statements about its use being 'bad' and 'dangerous' are not necessarily accurate.

May I suggest you read the other conclusions of that study. Yeah, there is a nice little surprise in there.

You are going to have to spell it out for me I guess, because I don't see any 'nice little surprises'.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Give it up...really...please....it is getting old.

I am doing south beach...the phentermine by far helps with the low carb diet and is keeping me motivated..... so enough already from the anti-phentermine crowd. There is no harm with me taking it and there is only a benefit if I do.

What do you mean the phentermine helps with your low carb diet? In what way?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I would like some feedback from people that have taken Phentermine.

It's basically an amphetamine. You're artificially avoiding hunger by (over) stimulating the body's fight-or-flight response.

What else needs to be said? Seriously, this is destructive as hell.

Having been on prescription dextroamphetamine for ~15 years (and stopping a few years ago), I agree. If there is a course of treatment that doesn't involve long-term use, try it first. As with any medication, there is usually a price to pay when you stop taking it.

For example, this medication resulted in needing less sleep to feel fully awake...and now that I'm no longer taking it, I feel lethargic on anything less than 9.5-10 hours. So perhaps the doctor's advice that long-term use isn't a problem *assuming you never ever stop taking it*.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    your doctor is a liar.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    PCOS can be managed/helped long term by a lower carb diet and metformin to control blood sugar.

People will always gain the weight back if they go back to eating the way they did before. I would suggest a dietician/endocrinologist to help you come up with a workable (and healthy) plan.

I agree 100% with this. I know many women who have eaten lower carb long term and are able to keep the weight off long term. I was put on phentermine at one point to help me lose weight and though it worked for that time period, I felt the risks out weighed the benefits. So I did my research and learned about low carb and slow carb (low GI). Both can be very helpful for PCOS and preventing diabetes. I have been pre-diabetic for years because of my PCOS and had horrible other symptoms. I started eating low gi and later low carb and all of my symptoms began to reverse. Including my infertility as I got pregnant by month 3 of eating low carb completely naturally. I also lost 8-10 lbs in that three months.

Basically, for my PCOS, low carb is AMAZING!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    OP was posing the question if what the doctor said was accurate NOT if the poster should or should not take Phentermine. Please re-read post if anyone is confused.

The answers were quite clear - her doctor is wrong.
  • Amsily
    Amsily Posts: 11
    Options
    My stepsons mother OD'ed and died on phentermine last September. I've taken that drug before and you feel like you are on speed. I couldn't do it. My doctor had told me you can not be on that drug more than three months as it causes heart issues. Then you have to take a several month break before you try it again.

When my stepsons mother OD'ed on it last year she has a lethal amount in her body. She died from that mixing with her depression medicine and benadryl. It can also be habit forming.

Be careful. Its scary stuff. By the way she was 39!
  • bananabw
    Options
    I have been on a stimulant of some kind for years due to severe ADHD. Currently on phentermine to manage that and help with weight loss. I figured since I usually take a stimulant anyway why not try it. Even so i go off every weekend and holidays to clear my system for a bit and have never had a withdrawal symptom. I rarely take a full dose either. I really think it depends on how they affect the individual person when it comes to dependence. I get no high, no change in hr or blood pressure, can take one and go have a nap. It actually calms me a little. But I had terrible withdrawals from stopping cymbalta which isn't supposed to be addictive. I would just consult another doctor for a second opinion if you are concerned.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I have been on a stimulant of some kind for years due to severe ADHD. Currently on phentermine to manage that and help with weight loss. I figured since I usually take a stimulant anyway why not try it. Even so i go off every weekend and holidays to clear my system for a bit and have never had a withdrawal symptom. I rarely take a full dose either. I really think it depends on how they affect the individual person when it comes to dependence. I get no high, no change in hr or blood pressure, can take one and go have a nap. It actually calms me a little. But I had terrible withdrawals from stopping cymbalta which isn't supposed to be addictive. I would just consult another doctor for a second opinion if you are concerned.

Go without any for a month or two and see how you feel.

(That said, I'm not actually suggesting you do this without doctor supervision...but I find it hard to believe that you can accurately gauge the ramifications of full withdrawal without having fully withdrawn.)
  • bananabw
    Options
    Also have pcos- and am prescribed the phentermine by an endocrinologist.
  • bananabw
    Options
    I have done that several times. Last time was for a few months because my insurance didn't cover adhd medinine. I have been treated on and off for adhd for over 20 years. I just function better on it. By better I mean I'm able to focus. I don't think addiction possibility should be taken lightly at all though.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to lose weight using the low carb diet and exercise which is recommended for people with PCOS?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP asks for information, receives information and then asks a certain group of people to stop responding because she is going to do it anyway? Sounds about right.

To be fair, she asked for a specific set of information.

OP, when you post on a public forum, you HAVE to expect that everyone is going to chime in with their opinion. Snarking at people who aren't giving you the feedback you want is a waste of time and energy and kinda defeats the purpose of a public forum IMHO.

EDIT: Oooh, found one study where apparently people had been on it 21 years. Wow.

________________________________________________________________________________

Int J Obes (Lond). 2013 May 17. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2013.74. [Epub ahead of print]
    Addiction potential of phentermine prescribed during long-term treatment of obesity.
    Hendricks EJ, Srisurapanont M, Schmidt SL, Haggard M, Souter S, Mitchell CL, De Marco DG, Hendricks MJ, Istratiy Y, Greenway FL.
    Source

Center for Weight Management, Roseville, CA, USA.
    Abstract

Objective:To investigate if phentermine treatment induces phentermine abuse, psychological dependence (addiction) or phentermine drug craving in overweight, obese and weight loss maintenance patients. To investigate whether amphetamine-like withdrawal occurs after abrupt cessation of long-term phentermine treatment.Design:Clinical intervention trial with interruption of phentermine treatment in long-term patients.Subjects:269 obese, overweight or formerly obese subjects (age: 20-88 years, BMI: 21-74 kg m-2) treated with phentermine long-term (LTP, N=117), 1.1-21.1 years, or short-term (ATP, N=152), 4-22 days, with phentermine doses of 18.75-112.5 (LTP) and 15-93.75 (ATP) mg per day.Measurements:Module K of the Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview modified for phentermine (MINI-SUD), Severity of Dependence Scale (SDS), 45-item Cocaine Craving Questionnaire-NOW (CCQ-NOW) modified for phentermine (PCQ-NOW), and Amphetamine Withdrawal Questionnaire (AWQ) modified for phentermine (PWQ).Results:MINI-SUD interviews were negative for phentermine abuse or psychological dependence in all LTP patients. SDS examination scores were low for all LTP and ATP patients, indicating they were not psychologically dependent upon phentermine. PCQ-NOW scores were low for all LTP and ATP patients, indicating neither short-term nor long-term phentermine treatment had induced phentermine craving. Other than an increase in hunger or eating, amphetamine-like withdrawal symptoms did not occur upon abrupt phentermine cessation as measured by sequential PWQ scores.Conclusions:Phentermine abuse or psychological dependence (addiction) does not occur in patients treated with phentermine for obesity. Phentermine treatment does not induce phentermine drug craving, a hallmark sign of addiction. Amphetamine-like withdrawal does not occur upon abrupt treatment cessation even at doses much higher than commonly recommended and after treatment durations of up to 21 years.International Journal of Obesity advance online publication, 11 June 2013; doi:10.1038/ijo.2013.74.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was just published this year. It seems that blanket statements about its use being 'bad' and 'dangerous' are not necessarily accurate.

May I suggest you read the other conclusions of that study. Yeah, there is a nice little surprise in there.

You are going to have to spell it out for me I guess, because I don't see any 'nice little surprises'.

Beuler? Beuler?
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Doctors don't know everything, regardless of what they might think.

Honestly, I'd get a second opinion. I know you seem to be deadset on doing it, and well, it's your health, it's your choice. However, when an overwhelming number of people come on here and tell you that it's not a good idea, perhaps you should try to get another professional opinion.

I have PCOS. My doc diagnosed me, put me on metformin, told me to diet, sent me on my way, and I thought that was the end of it. It was a nurse in the office who saw I had PCOS and told me to see an endocrinologist. He put me on 1300-1500 cals, outlined a meal plan that works for me, told me to get more active, and has been helping me through this. I was the 75th successful pregnancy of his patients.

I really, really encourage you to get a second opinion. I will tell you honestly, if someone told me all this and listed the side effects even after short term use, I'd take my chances without it.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    These side effects can be seen with the majority of prescription and over the counter drugs:

I wouldn't worry about the long term, I'd worry about it taking out my heart in the short term.

You only have 55lbs left to lose, easily do able even with PCOS. You simply need to eat slightly less than the average calorie deficit.

Edited to add: Cardiovascular side effects include palpitations, tachycardia, and elevation of blood pressure. In the central nervous system, it can cause overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, tremor, and headache. Its gastrointestinal effects include dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, constipation, and other gastrointestinal disturbances. It may also cause allergic effects - urticaria and changes in libido.

Its less common, but more severe, side effects include:

Convulsions (seizures)
    Fever
    Hallucinations
    Agitation and aggression
    Bizarre behavior
    Mental or mood changes
    Exaggerated sense of well-being
    Increased blood pressure
    Severe or persistent light-headedness, fainting or headache
    Periods of mania followed by period of depression
    Fast or irregular heartbeat
    Overactive reflexes
    Tremors, trembling or shaking
    Panic
    Restlessness
    Severe nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
    Stomach cramps
    Weakness
    Constipation
    Primary pulmonary hypertension
    Regurgitant cardiac valvular disease
    Pounding in the chest or shortness of breath

Being on any drug that can cause the above for any length of time cannot be a good thing.
  • fleetzz
    Options
    No, the UK doesn't allow it. But cigarettes are ok.

I should have put this disclaimer out their before for the "Phentermine is bad" crowd. Please quit posting about how horrible Phentermine is. Diabetes is also horrible and does terrible things to you body. There are all kinds of physical ailments related to obesity that are much worse than phentermine....so please no more posts about how bad phentermine is OK?

it isnt available on prescription in the uk (or a range of other european countries where big pharma finds it harder to buy political influence...). Have you paused to consider why?

perhaps the 'crowd' have a point?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I have done that several times. Last time was for a few months because my insurance didn't cover adhd medinine. I have been treated on and off for adhd for over 20 years. I just function better on it. By better I mean I'm able to focus. I don't think addiction possibility should be taken lightly at all though.

Dang. If I'm ever in the market for another medication, I'm trying this one (and not the one I was on before).
  • fleetzz
    Options
    Phentermine has a short half life. Users do not need to be off for months to "prove" they are not addicted.

(That said, I'm not actually suggesting you do this without doctor supervision...but I find it hard to believe that you can accurately gauge the ramifications of full withdrawal without having fully withdrawn.)
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I do south beach as stated in previous post. Again, I was not concerned. Even with south beach lifestyle, apparently women with PCOS eventually gain it back or struggle keeping it off per this doctor...so I am not sure what to believe.

I'd say while that may be your doctor's experience, that it doesn't have to be YOUR experience with PCOS and weight gain. I know others with it that don't use weight loss drugs and just have to work a bit harder to keep it off, but like anyone else with a medical condition that affects weight loss, they deal with it.

I *know* that's not what you want to hear. You want someone to wave a magic wand and either confirm or deny your physician. I'd suggest that the internet is not the place for that - a second physician's opinion is. We can't know all the ins and outs of your specific case, nor can we judge how competent your doctor is. Though I'd suggest that long-term usage of any drug can have serious consequences, and that if you're concerned, a second opinion is warranted. I personally think you could regulate it without and that you shouldn't buy into your doctor's negativity about it, but that's just me and how I would handle it. You are, obviously, not me :)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Phentermine has a short half life. Users do not need to be off for months to "prove" they are not addicted.

I was more arguing for the side effects of ceasing the medication than that it was addictive...

...but now that I think about it, I suppose that is arguing that there is a physical addiction.

And admittedly (and as I've demonstrated so well in this thread), I know nothing about phentermine...

...so I'm taking my ball and going home.

[ed: ...and he was missed by none.]
This discussion has been closed.