Doctor Says Phentermine Long Term Not a Problem....Really?

Options

Replies

• PCOS_Gal
    Options
    This whole thread was sooooooo much fun. I laughed so hard I was crying!:laugh:

It is kind of amusing isn't it? "Please give me some advice on this, I want to know if its safe to take long term"..."Wait I don't to hear anything negative about it, I said I wanted to hear its OK to take".."Aren't you listening? I think its perfectly safe! Now someone, tell me its safe!"... "Hey, I said I only wanted to hear its OK, what is all this diet stuff? I do diets, but tell me this drug is safe!"..."I don't want to hear any negative comments about this drug, I was just checking to verify my doctors opinion with random nameless people online I dont know, and if you aren't verifying his opinion, shut up already, I want to hear its safe!"

You additionally have not read the OP as well.....I never asked for anyone advice. I will refer you back to the OP as well....or just continue to feel smug...which ever you choose.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    why are people still bothering to comment on this thread. the OP has made it quite clear that she really doesn't want to hear anything from anyone about anything relevant. it's rare to find someone that rejects all opinions, even those from people that are in a similar situation and have been successful. and yet, here we are.

whatevs

*Troll*

I'm glad we're in agreement about something.

We're talking about the OP, right?
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    why are people still bothering to comment on this thread. the OP has made it quite clear that she really doesn't want to hear anything from anyone about anything relevant. it's rare to find someone that rejects all opinions, even those from people that are in a similar situation and have been successful. and yet, here we are.

whatevs

*Troll*

I'm glad we're in agreement about something.

We're talking about the OP, right?

A Troll who doesn't know he is a Troll..

Rule #1- Don't feed the Trolls
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I GUESS YOU MISSED THE PART WHERE I SAID I HAVE PCOS and am INSULIN RESISTANT. I WAS MORBIDLY OBESE...265 LBS. I DID NOT NEED PHENTERMINE OR ANY OTHER "BEHAVIOURAL" MEDICATION TO FOLLOW A LOW CARB HIGH FAT DIET AND LOSE OVER 100 POUNDS.

Congratulations on your success! :drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I want to know if anyone can confirm using Phentermine as safe long term. I want to know if what this doctor is saying is accurate....as I stated in my OP.

Nope.

Is that direct enough for ya?

It's a powerful stimulant with dangerous side effects. You should not take it long term.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't know about taking it forever... take it till you loose the weight and then slowly taper off of it... if you gain some back then worry about taking it again. I have PCOS and I have lost on Phentermine and it worked wonders. i did gain the weight back but not because i wasn't taking the phentermine but because i was just not watching what I ate. I am waiting to get in with the doctor to get back on the phentermine actually. Good luck to you!
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    I don't know about taking it forever... take it till you loose the weight and then slowly taper off of it... if you gain some back then worry about taking it again. I have PCOS and I have lost on Phentermine and it worked wonders. i did gain the weight back but not because i wasn't taking the phentermine but because i was just not watching what I ate. I am waiting to get in with the doctor to get back on the phentermine actually. Good luck to you!

Thanks Gabby and good luck to you too :-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was told it was ok to take Phen for as long as I want. I now have a hole in my heart valve which I now need to take medication for the rest of my life.

Yes, go ahead and take it because your doctor said it was OK!!

THE END!!!!

Phentermine alone has never cause a hole in any valves. Only when it was combined with fenfluramine was it known to cause heart valve problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine

The current state of knowledge is actually that isolated cases of valvular reflux have been reported but not at a rate significant for concern. However, given that there are no studies on the long term use efficacy and safety of phen alone it is incorrect to assume that "it must be safe" - it is only approved for short term use - even the new combos which do not have a duration limiter at this point, specifically state cessation points if the patient does not reach x% decrease y% bodyweight in so many weeks.
    Adverse reactions occur at a rate of about 5%. Which is not surprising - no effective treatment is without risk but these do not seem to be serious adverse effects.

In general these adverse reactions are low. However, consider that there are also increases risks of anxiety (see the study here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3260065/)

Given the economic and historic associated health risk and the absence of long term data the reaction of people here is valid.
    It is preferable to attempt a non-drug lifestyle solution first, failing that, these treatments do seem to be preferable versus surgical or "just staying fat" given their own cost and health related risk.

In the absence of long term data, there is a Korean post-market study that demonstrates a high level of adverse effects but not of a serious nature.

dBfgfyU.png

Now, the OP has clearly decided that this is her path so in reality I'm only posting this for those that are looking for information and might have a more open mindset.

Yes, there are adverse effects.
    No long term studies give a good information of phen being a good treatment choice. Post-market studies do show significant adverse effects for a "less than mortal" nature.
    It is a possible treatment path (obviously) but the preferable path should be lifestyle intervention first, when possible.

http://pdf.medrang.co.kr/Kafm/034/Jkafm034-05-02.pdf
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    Yes, I was told it was ok to take Phen for as long as I want. I now have a hole in my heart valve which I now need to take medication for the rest of my life.

THE END!!!!

Phentermine alone has never cause a hole in any valves. Only when it was combined with fenfluramine was it known to cause heart valve problems.

The current state of knowledge is actually that isolated cases of valvular reflux have been reported but not at a rate significant for concern. However, given that there are no studies on the long term use efficacy and safety of phen alone it is incorrect to assume that "it must be safe" - it is only approved for short term use - even the new combos which do not have a duration limiter at this point, specifically state cessation points if the patient does not reach x% decrease y% bodyweight in so many weeks.
    Adverse reactions occur at a rate of about 5%. Which is not surprising - no effective treatment is without risk but these do not seem to be serious adverse effects.

In general these adverse reactions are low. However, consider that there are also increases risks of anxiety (see the study here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3260065/)

Given the economic and historic associated health risk and the absence of long term data the reaction of people here is valid.
    It is preferable to attempt a non-drug lifestyle solution first, failing that, these treatments do seem to be preferable versus surgical or "just staying fat" given their own cost and health related risk.

In the absence of long term data, there is a Korean post-market study that demonstrates a high level of adverse effects but not of a serious nature.

dBfgfyU.png

Now, the OP has clearly decided that this is her path so in reality I'm only posting this for those that are looking for information and might have a more open mindset.

Yes, there are adverse effects.
    No long term studies give a good information of phen being a good treatment choice. Post-market studies do show significant adverse effects for a "less than mortal" nature.
    It is a possible treatment path (obviously) but the preferable path should be lifestyle intervention first, when possible.

http://pdf.medrang.co.kr/Kafm/034/Jkafm034-05-02.pdf

Which is a long way of saying there has been no proof of holes in heart valves....like I said before.

BTW: Why did you pick a study done in South Korea?
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    I want to know if anyone can confirm using Phentermine as safe long term. I want to know if what this doctor is saying is accurate....as I stated in my OP.

Nope.

Is that direct enough for ya?

It's a powerful stimulant with dangerous side effects. You should not take it long term.

Do you have any direct knowledge via your own personal long term use via a physician recommendation or journal or studies....that would be more helpful.
  • neenorROAR
    Options

THE END!!!!

Wait, wait, wait... So no one's allowed to make sweeping statements regarding your health, but it's perfectly okay for you to tell this woman that the hole in her heart valve isn't real because Wikipedia says so?

To be honest, I've just sat here and read almost all of this thread, having PCOS myself and thinking I might be of some help, but you've been so incredibly rude to people who are only trying to help you, I'm only responding so I haven't completely wasted the last hour of my life. You asked if using Phentermine was something you should do long term, people answered with a loud and resounding no, and you thought the appropriate response was to dismiss them basically as nutjobs? Your question has been answered. Just because people don't use Wikipedia (of all things) to reinforce their opinions doesn't make them any less valid. If that's still not good enough for you, then take the second most common piece of advice this thread has offered you and seek an opinion from a different doctor.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

THE END!!!!

Wait, wait, wait... So no one's allowed to make sweeping statements regarding your health, but it's perfectly okay for you to tell this woman that the hole in her heart valve isn't real because Wikipedia says so?

To be honest, I've just sat here and read almost all of this thread, having PCOS myself and thinking I might be of some help, but you've been so incredibly rude to people who are only trying to help you, I'm only responding so I haven't completely wasted the last hour of my life. You asked if using Phentermine was something you should do long term, people answered with a loud and resounding no, and you thought the appropriate response was to dismiss them basically as nutjobs? Your question has been answered. Just because people don't use Wikipedia (of all things) to reinforce their opinions doesn't make them any less valid. If that's still not good enough for you, then take the second most common piece of advice this thread has offered you and seek an opinion from a different doctor.

You must have missed some of the posts.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options

THE END!!!!

You must have missed some of the posts.

Agreed...thinking she must of as well.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

THE END!!!!

This is exactly what I'm thinking...I also have PCOS, and so I thought I could help, but at this point this is what I've gotten from this thread:

OP - "My doctor said I can take this long-term for weight loss, is that right?"

Various posters - "NO, it's not right, it's really bad for you and there's better and safer ways to achieve your goals"

OP - "I don't want to know if it's bad for me, because I don't think it is, but is it ok to take long-term?"

Various posters - "NO, it's not ok to take long-term, because it has all these potential side effects"

OP - I don't believe in side effects, I didn't have any so I never will at any point in the future, but is my doctor right?"

Various posters - "NO!!!"

I'm not really sure what you're looking for at this point...the reason anything is not good to take long-term is usually because potential side effects become more likely the longer you take it, as well as the possibility of it losing effectiveness the longer you take it. You seem to think the possibility of diabetes is more concerning than permanently damaging your heart with amphetamines. The thing is, if you do eventually experience any of those side effects, most of them are worse and more permanent than anything you'd experience with type 2 diabetes, which CAN be controlled and even reversed sometimes with diet and exercise.

As I mentioned, I have PCOS too, and am insulin resistant, and I have a terrible time keeping weight off. In the last few years I've gotten down to my GW a couple of times, just to have it creep back up again. The thing is though, I KNOW why when it happens. It's not because PCOS means it's impossible to keep weight off, generally it's because I've gotten too complacent and sure of myself and my state of fitness and started to indulge more than I should. I get that in your situation it's because you had kids, but the result is the same, you have to start from scratch again. It's bloody hard, and it's not fair that it's harder for us than other people, but diet pills are not the answer, and in the end you'll be better off if you do it without them, side effects or no.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was on Phentermine for 4-5 months and she said she could really tell it wasn't suppressing her appetite like it was when she first started it. Why would you want to pay for it long term if it was barely working anymore? Another thing to consider-doctors don't know everything, that's why it's called "practicing" medicine. Weight loss doctors put people on 1,000 calorie-a-day diets, and I think most of us agree that's not ideal.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options

THE END!!!!

People on this thread have provided alot of false information as well as their own hyperbole and opinions on Phentermine, much of which has not been based in facts. Also, as I stated before, I never asked for anyone's advice. The OP was an information mining expedition on those that knew of, have heard of or had personal experience long term on just phentermine. I think I have gotten less than a handful of people giving me actual medical journal links on the matter and no one that has reported being on phentermine for long term (i.e. 5, 10, 15 years)

So yes, I am calling BS on phentermine alone causing holes in valves. Here is why: Fenfluramine (the drug that was combined with Fen-Phen) causing valvular heart disease and pulmonary hypertension had already been correlated to have bad effects of systemic serotonin. It had already been known for decades that two of the major side-effects of the carcinoid syndrome (i.e. tumors or lesions) in which EXCESSIVE serotonin is produced endogenously resulting in valvular disease and pulmonary hypertension. Several studies were able to note a relationship to an excessive activation of the serotonin receptor, thus raising the potential for vale and pulmonary hypertension issues. Fenfluramine has been removed from the market, Phentermine has not.

Phentermine since its FDA approval in 1959 has never alone been linked to heart valve or pulmonary HTN problems. It was only until is combined use with Fenfluramine that it got any type of press to such. That is because phentermine works primarily on norepinephrine which has not been know to cause problems with valves or pulmonary HTN. Norepinephrine functions primarily to activate flight or fight and dosen't affect the smooth muscle tissue/cardiac muscles.

So sorry if you think that I and the science/facts are "rude", but there is just no way that phentermine causes holes in heart valves based on the chemical make up and how it affects the body. It is like saying aspirin gives people tumors...there is no scientific proof to claim such. Are there people that have taken aspirin that have gotten tumors?...probably. But the likelihood they got it from the aspirin it unlikely, just as holes in hearts from phentermine is just as unlikely.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    A friend of mine was on Phentermine for 4-5 months and she said she could really tell it wasn't suppressing her appetite like it was when she first started it. Why would you want to pay for it long term if it was barely working anymore? Another thing to consider-doctors don't know everything, that's why it's called "practicing" medicine. Weight loss doctors put people on 1,000 calorie-a-day diets, and I think most of us agree that's not ideal.

That was one of the query's in the OP. I don't understand how you could be on it long term when it habituates...other than continually increasing the dose...which in itself is scary idea with any medicine. Which is why I have heard people going on it and off it to stop the habituation, but according to this guy, that eventually makes it so it won't work anymore...which is also contrary to what I have heard.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I actually can't believe the OP is still bothering with this thread.

OP: I am taking phen. Have taken it before. Really effective and works for me and my lifestyle. Somewhat concerned because Dr. says I will need it long-term b/c of PCOS yada, yada. Does anyone know anything about taking phen long term?

Response: Awful, horrible phen, you are wrong to take it, you don't know what you are doing, for christ sake, someone yelled at her in caps about it! Phen bad. You bad. Quit standing up for yourself and repeating your original question. It makes us mad.

OP: Hey, I hear ya, but, again, that really wasn't my question. I did not ask anyone their opinion about phen, I asked does anyone have any info on long term use. I like it, I am going to take it. I am also going to get a second opinion.

Response: You horrible person, you don't listen, what is wrong with you, just because you know what you want. We are right. You are wrong. And, no, no one knows anything about it long-term. Except for a couple of brave souls who ponied up their experiences and a few studies. And why don't you just go get a second opinion anyhow????

My question to you is, how did you do when you took it before? Did you start to habituate? If so, how did you handle it? Did you need to take it everyday? Some days? Less over time, more over time? I really don't need to hear your answers, I just think you need to find this out for yourself. This, here? An exercise in futility.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options

THE END!!!!

This is exactly what I'm thinking...I also have PCOS, and so I thought I could help, but at this point this is what I've gotten from this thread:

OP - "My doctor said I can take this long-term for weight loss, is that right?"

Various posters - "NO, it's not right, it's really bad for you and there's better and safer ways to achieve your goals"

OP - "I don't want to know if it's bad for me, because I don't think it is, but is it ok to take long-term?"

Various posters - "NO, it's not ok to take long-term, because it has all these potential side effects"

OP - I don't believe in side effects, I didn't have any so I never will at any point in the future, but is my doctor right?"

Various posters - "NO!!!"

I'm not really sure what you're looking for at this point...the reason anything is not good to take long-term is usually because potential side effects become more likely the longer you take it, as well as the possibility of it losing effectiveness the longer you take it. You seem to think the possibility of diabetes is more concerning than permanently damaging your heart with amphetamines. The thing is, if you do eventually experience any of those side effects, most of them are worse and more permanent than anything you'd experience with type 2 diabetes, which CAN be controlled and even reversed sometimes with diet and exercise.

As I mentioned, I have PCOS too, and am insulin resistant, and I have a terrible time keeping weight off. In the last few years I've gotten down to my GW a couple of times, just to have it creep back up again. The thing is though, I KNOW why when it happens. It's not because PCOS means it's impossible to keep weight off, generally it's because I've gotten too complacent and sure of myself and my state of fitness and started to indulge more than I should. I get that in your situation it's because you had kids, but the result is the same, you have to start from scratch again. It's bloody hard, and it's not fair that it's harder for us than other people, but diet pills are not the answer, and in the end you'll be better off if you do it without them, side effects or no.

Well you have gotten it wrong.....like so many others on this post.

This isn't rocket science folks and the OP is in plain English.

I am NOT asking for people advice on Phentermine if they think it is good or bad.
    I am NOT asking for people to give me their opinions on Phentermine.
    I am NOT asking for people to comment about Phentermine who have never been on Phentermine.
    I am NOT advocating the use of Phentermine long term.
    I am NOT asking for people to tell me if they think I should take Phentermine.
    I am NOT asking for medical advice
    I am NOT asking people to cut and paste the known and possible side effects of Phentermine

I AM ASKING simply question based on people's experience who have been on the medicine long term (i.e years) and any discussions with their own doctors if they have ever been told phentermine long term was something they had heard (or had ever read in any medical journals Phetermine was ok for long term)

Thus, because of all the derailments on this thread an people more then willing to pass judgments and hostile remarks about my even taken phentermine....it is no wonder there is so much confusion.
  • PCOS_Gal
    Options
    I actually can't believe the OP is still bothering with this thread.

OP: I am taking phen. Have taken it before. Really effective and works for me and my lifestyle. Somewhat concerned because Dr. says I will need it long-term b/c of PCOS yada, yada. Does anyone know anything about taking phen long term?

Response: Awful, horrible phen, you are wrong to take it, you don't know what you are doing, for christ sake, someone yelled at her in caps about it! Phen bad. You bad. Quit standing up for yourself and repeating your original question. It makes us mad.

OP: Hey, I hear ya, but, again, that really wasn't my question. I did not ask anyone their opinion about phen, I asked does anyone have any info on long term use. I like it, I am going to take it. I am also going to get a second opinion.

Response: You horrible person, you don't listen, what is wrong with you, just because you know what you want. We are right. You are wrong. And, no, no one knows anything about it long-term. Except for a couple of brave souls who ponied up their experiences and a few studies. And why don't you just go get a second opinion anyhow????

My question to you is, how did you do when you took it before? Did you start to habituate? If so, how did you handle it? Did you need to take it everyday? Some days? Less over time, more over time? I really don't need to hear your answers, I just think you need to find this out for yourself. This, here? An exercise in futility.

Thinking you are a very very very wise woman about the thread :-)

I know you didn't need to hear my answers, but felt obligated to so here they are :-)

I did fine when I took it before, no side effects, no problems. Was on it for 4 months with little issues with habituation (I took a half pill for quite some time with great effectiveness, and was able to finish the rest of the time with a regular dose.) Did not need to take it everyday towards the end because by that time i was in a groove with diet and exercise. Did not gain weight back until I got pregnant. I have an appointment with another doctor next week to compare notes with this one.
This discussion has been closed.