Replies

• magnifiquee
    magnifiquee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    let me have my morning lemon water damnit!!! >.< lool
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I aree that eating 1200 cals a day is ****in retarded and unneccessary, but the bit about having to eat small meals throughout the day is such bull****, meal timing is irrelevant
  • LifeHappens40
    Options
    I would never starve myself at 1200 calories a day, that's ridiculous. Anyone that is breathing at all will be burning calories all through the day and will need more than 1200 calories a day, your body needs food, Period!
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Different floats on different boats and all that.
    1200 works just great for me, I have more energy now, feel great and eat all the foods I enjoy. If it doesn't work for you thats fine, go your own way but it works for me so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    How old does a thread need to be before it's a zombie thread officially?
  • magnifiquee
    magnifiquee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Different floats on different boats and all that.
    1200 works just great for me, I have more energy now, feel great and eat all the foods I enjoy. If it doesn't work for you thats fine, go your own way but it works for me so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Yes! And that is why it is best to stay in your lane :)
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this forum and am really surprised at how many people on here are starving themselves to lose weight. Weight loss is not a sprint its a marathon. Its something that should happen over time, not within a few weeks. Weight loss is more than just limiting your caloric intake. Its a combination of eating clean and healthy ( I hate the word diet) and exercising on a daily basis. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight and by limiting your caloric intake to 1200 or so calories is doing just that. Not only is it unhealthy, but its a process that you will never stick to because its not natural and uncomfortable to do. So lets be serious and talk about how to lose weight realistically.

I would first ask yourself, "why do I want to lose weight?' Is it for appearance? Is it to be more healthy? Is it to be able to make it up that flight of steps without getting tired? Once you understand your own reasoning you can then move forward and begin your weight loss journey, because after all that's what it should be, a journey not a short trip. Once you've realized your goal and the reason for it you need to make the biggest decision of all, and that's to commit to yourself and commit to achieving your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle.

So now you've made the decision to put your health first; now what? Lets start with your eating habits. What do you eat? When do you eat it? and how often are you eating? Your body is a very complex machine but by following some simple rules about eating, you can have it running very efficiently. Follow these few simple rules and you'll see and feel the difference in your energy level.
    -Start every day with an 8oz. glass of lemon water
    -Monitor your portions- you should be eating small portion meals throughout the day rather than one, two or three large portioned meals a day
    -Drink water, all day long
    -Focus on lean proteins like chicken, turkey, salmon etc. and I don't mean processed cold-cuts...
    -Focus on eating fresh vegetables, steamed when possible
    -Limit unnecessary condiments i.e. mayonnaise, oils, salt etc.
    -Limit, but don't restrict carbohydrates. Complex carbs are needed by your body
    -Dairy is ok but in limited portions and should be kept to low fat dairy. Greek yogurt is a good choice.
    -Fresh fruit should be kept to 1 or 2 pieces a day. Its high in sugar and you should be limiting your sugar

This si just a guide to go by. Your food intake should be directly related to your physical activity. Exercise is key but that's a whole other topic....

.... and you are on this cite because???

small people need less than us large folks.. and um thats just math and suff..

dad19b9a-82b0-48b2-90bf-d0b0f4f2155e_zpsf35f35f9.jpg
  • skvbrevity
    skvbrevity Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't feel starved doing 1200 calories a day IF I choose the right food (a bit of lean protein in each meal/snack) to fit into that calorie range. If I go over 1200, I try to add more exercise to have that extra item. This was the range suggested by my physician due to my height, age & gender. Middle-aged petite females cannot have the calories per day as a taller, younger male, or any age male - a very unfair fact, but very true from the experience in my household. Keys for me are preparing my own food, buying fresh fruits and vegetables (which I find are as cheap as frozen because you get more for your dollar if you compare. -- ie: A fresh head of cabbage costs the same as a small frozen package of broccoli that may be mostly stems, & I get several meals out of the fresh cabbage which I can steam, stirfry, boil, grill or eat raw as slaw). I take my lunch, & keep frozen homemade cabbage soup in the work freezer. I spend a lot of money on apples & pears & feel they are worth every penny. This time of year, I'm enjoying a lot of fresh melon as my fruit. I do limit fruits & like most carbs, try to not only track them, but consume them earlier in the day, say - by lunchtime, to burn them instead of them converting & going straight to my, you know. LOL! Exercise for me is a 5:45AM brisk walk outdoors- it's does as much for my head as it does my, you know. LOL! I drink water, with lemon usually, because I enjoy the taste & it dresses it up a bit! Hey, I'm a prissy chic. I'm going to walk the straight & narrow, especially on weekdays. for example, this is what I ate yesterday: Multigrain toast with natural coconut oil/peanut butter & sprinkled with a flax/chai mixture & a cup of coffee to start the day. Lunch was Starkist 100 cal tuna salad, a sliced cucumber that I used instead of a cracker, & an 80cal plain Greek yogurt topped with fresh blueberries & sprinkled with a smidgen of Splenda. I had a small fresh pear around 3PM. Dinner was grilled boneless chicken tenderloin, & fresh grilled yellow squash, onions, & mushrooms & Splenda tea. I try NOT to have a snack at night -- I can tell a difference in my progress when I do. I AM going to look forward to a night out with the hubby at a nice Italian restaurant, and yes, I'm going to have the garlic bread & a glass of wine-- I earned it. :love:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    New dude arrives and has all the solutions starting with lemon water and low fat dairy?
    In for the lolz.

Lowfat cheese is the saddest thing in the world.
    Give me real cheese.

Goat-cheese-burger-BR.jpg

^ This

Also, low fat yogurt is loaded with sugar. I would rather have the extra protein, calories and fat in standard yogurt than have extra sugar that I could do without.

OP.. I'd suggest you take some time to learn things before you post again. Your post is complete garbage.

There is NO magic number for EVERYONE. There are many people who are FINE on a 1200 calorie diet. The problem is that people don't read, understand and implement it properly.

I'm 5'6 - 143lbs, 41 yrs old. If I let MFP set my goals to .5/wk and set myself to sedentary I get 1200 calories.. Guess what?! This is what I do.. Of course I also follow the program as designed, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES. 1200 is a NET, not a gross. I am on 1200 NET, I eat 2000-2400 / day AT LEAST.

It works out to roughly the same number of calories for me as TDEE. I actually eat MORE now then I used to when I used that method. There is nothing wrong with 1200 calories NET.

I wish people would get a clue before posting.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVQti1F9UjBFPagoQ7CwFayXuceT0jGMA0zLLWOxAtcm6wgTRYjA

200_s.gif
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty ridiculous all the bashing of the OP when he seems TO have a clue. I don't agree with the 1,200 calories being a problem. As others have said, it all depends on the person and size. I have my goal set at 1,200, but normally end up around 1,500. His other tips, however, are great. I think it's MORE scary that a lot of people on here think it's perfectly okay and "healthy" to continue eating crap foods like white bread, white rice, candy bars, etc.....provided they're losing weight. Losing weight does NOT mean you are healthy. Being skinny does NOT mean you must be a healthy person. What you fuel your body with determines how healthy you are. The OP is encouraging a clean diet. What's wrong with that?? I have an aunt who is both a personal training and a nutritionist, as well as her husband being a nutritionist and managing a heath food store. I'm sure many of you would (apparently) be jumping down their throats for giving you good, solid advice that you just didn't like.

Yes, you can lose weight eating 1,200 calories of junk food. But if you actually care about your health, maybe you'll consider what people like the OP have to say.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    please roll this zombie thread and get it off my post list. mmmmmokthx.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Idefinenichelle
    Idefinenichelle Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty ridiculous all the bashing of the OP when he seems TO have a clue. I don't agree with the 1,200 calories being a problem. As others have said, it all depends on the person and size. I have my goal set at 1,200, but normally end up around 1,500. His other tips, however, are great. I think it's MORE scary that a lot of people on here think it's perfectly okay and "healthy" to continue eating crap foods like white bread, white rice, candy bars, etc.....provided they're losing weight. Losing weight does NOT mean you are healthy. Being skinny does NOT mean you must be a healthy person. What you fuel your body with determines how healthy you are. The OP is encouraging a clean diet. What's wrong with that?? I have an aunt who is both a personal training and a nutritionist, as well as her husband being a nutritionist and managing a heath food store. I'm sure many of you would (apparently) be jumping down their throats for giving you good, solid advice that you just didn't like.

Yes, you can lose weight eating 1,200 calories of junk food. But if you actually care about your health, maybe you'll consider what people like the OP have to say.

:flowerforyou:
  • diahann63
    diahann63 Posts: 11
    Options
    Exactly what I was thinking! Hehe...I wish I had all the answers like she does.
  • meonlybetterDUH
    meonlybetterDUH Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 and I find it hard to get that many calories in daily! And I am not starving and I feel like I'm eating all the time. I don't eat back calories from walking 5 miles a day and/or the days I work out (3-4 times a week).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 and I find it hard to get that many calories in daily! And I am not starving and I feel like I'm eating all the time. I don't eat back calories from walking 5 miles a day and/or the days I work out (3-4 times a week).

Yes, well, appetite is controlled by hormones, and if you under-eat or over-eat, you throw those hormones out of whack, hunger (or lack of) isn't always an indicator of whether or not you are eating the proper amount.

If you are petite, then this is probably okay, but for the average person, 1200 is just the bare minimum. Age also factors in.