1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Show me an example where some non-ridiculous (e.g. a gallon in few minutes) amount of water was actually harmful to an individual...

Never heard of hyponatremia, huh?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Does coffee count as water?

My urologist says all fluids except soda count towards my fluid intake, including wine. I'm not going to argue.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I am 127 lbs. Previously, I was losing very slowly on 1500 calories a day but now I have been maintaining at that level despite being fairly active. I think I will have to lower my calories to begin losing again.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Did you see that the primary person now being responded to is a guy? Do you think you and a larger guy should be eating the same amount of calories?

This always gets me on this forum. It's like 1200 is the magical line that somehow applies to all women. Why is it clear that a guy, who is bigger and heavier, should be eating more but a woman, whether she's 350lbs or 150lbs, has a cut off of 1200? How does that make sense? According to this logic a 150lbs guy needs to eat a minimum of 1500 but a 350lbs woman can eat a minimum of 1200o with no ill effects?

And just to state the obvious I'm not saying someone should or should not eat 1200 calories, just that it can't be a hard cut off for any weight just based on gender.

Nobody is saying (or advocating) that a 350 lb. woman is automatically OK to eat 1200 calories, that would be inadvisable unless under a Dr.'s care. You've got this backwards - posters are saying that most women don't need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and should be eating more to retain muscle mass and get adequate nutrition.
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The foundation of weight loss is all about calories in versus calories out. You have to eat less calories than your body burns.

While I do vouch for a well balanced meal plan and believe you can eat anything in moderation, you can technically eat what, when, how you like. As long as the calories in are less than the calories out.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    me0231 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Did you see that the primary person now being responded to is a guy? Do you think you and a larger guy should be eating the same amount of calories?

This always gets me on this forum. It's like 1200 is the magical line that somehow applies to all women. Why is it clear that a guy, who is bigger and heavier, should be eating more but a woman, whether she's 350lbs or 150lbs, has a cut off of 1200? How does that make sense? According to this logic a 150lbs guy needs to eat a minimum of 1500 but a 350lbs woman can eat a minimum of 1200o with no ill effects?

And just to state the obvious I'm not saying someone should or should not eat 1200 calories, just that it can't be a hard cut off for any weight just based on gender.

Nobody is saying (or advocating) that a 350 lb. woman is automatically OK to eat 1200 calories, that would be inadvisable unless under a Dr.'s care. You've got this backwards - posters are saying that most women don't need to eat 1200 calories to lose, and should be eating more to retain muscle mass and get adequate nutrition.

I get that, but you can't tell me you've never seen people tell someone else that the minimum requirement for a woman is 1200 calories?! It comes up every day as if it's a hard and fast rule. That's all I'm saying. Not even specific to this thread, but to this forum.