1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is trial & error as much as determination and will power. You can not tell me that a 17 stone 5"5 sedentarty woman should be eating the same as a 7 stone 5"5 highly active woman. That is the science fad diets are based on.

YES, YES you can! The 17 stone woman got to and maintained her weight eating WAY more calories than someone who weighs 140 lbs less than she does! It takes more calories just to maintain a bigger body. The point is that weight loss should not be about, hey, Mr. potential weight loser, you got fat. Now let's punish you by never having you eat whatever got you fat and you can only have chicken breasts and lettuce. The moderate deficit allows them to re-evaluate their food choices if need be, but they'd also be able to fit some of the items they like which got them to their current weight

It's one thing to say you can't be bothered to eat more, but giving a large person more calories to eat is EXCELLENT science!

It's about whatever approach helps you lose weight. Some people are more motivated by more rapid loss.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is trial & error as much as determination and will power. You can not tell me that a 17 stone 5"5 sedentarty woman should be eating the same as a 7 stone 5"5 highly active woman. That is the science fad diets are based on.

YES, YES you can! The 17 stone woman got to and maintained her weight eating WAY more calories than someone who weighs 140 lbs less than she does! It takes more calories just to maintain a bigger body. The point is that weight loss should not be about, hey, Mr. potential weight loser, you got fat. Now let's punish you by never having you eat whatever got you fat and you can only have chicken breasts and lettuce. The moderate deficit allows them to re-evaluate their food choices if need be, but they'd also be able to fit some of the items they like which got them to their current weight

It's one thing to say you can't be bothered to eat more, but giving a large person more calories to eat is EXCELLENT science!

It's about whatever approach helps you lose weight. Some people are more motivated by more rapid loss.

Motivation can be fleeting. Without a sustainable approach, long term success can be elusive. She (possibly inadvertently) called a moderate deficit fab science. I was explaining that it wasn't.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 and I find it hard to get that many calories in daily! And I am not starving and I feel like I'm eating all the time. I don't eat back calories from walking 5 miles a day and/or the days I work out (3-4 times a week).
    Someone should write a sticky for all these people. Seriously.

They'll be back on here years later saying they don't know what went wrong and gained the weight back and more.
  • millstrand
    Options
    Ive just started this diet and have been on it for a week or so at 1200 calorie intake meeting that goal everytime:) and i have to say i love it :) and it works for me, i never feel hungry,light headed ect. I also horse ride my own two horses and jog 1 mile a nite with 10 squats and 10 crunches, so im giving it the thumbs up ????
  • akern15
    akern15 Posts: 13
    Options
    Anything that eliminates mayo sounds dumb.

Word.
  • sukdisrikan
    Options
    hey buddy try out IIFYM.com plus they have a group page on facebook that goes by the same name.. its mostly is about Macro eating tracking your fats, carbs and protein intake... check it out.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    1200 calories isn't enough for my after dinner food (desert). Seriously.
  • mrzmami88
    mrzmami88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im on a 1200 calorie diet and been finding it hard to get up to that much. Maybe I just need to slighlty increase my portions? But I feel good. I do notice when I feel hungry its when my cals r super low. Im only 4'11 so even though I can binge and throw down some food (I usually feel sick if I over eat), if im just eating a regular meal i cant eat that much.
  • ashcat94
    ashcat94 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and have just started on MFP. Beforehand I was eating around 900 cals a day, losing weight, but still feeling a little hungry.
    Since starting, I've upped it to 1200, am still losing weight but more slowly (only have another 10lbs to lose though) and feel awesome.

I find it funny how taller, more active people are saying that those on a 1200 cal diet must be starving themselves because there's no way that can be healthy/fulfiling. Maybe YOU can't survive everyday on that amount, but I can, because we're different people with different requirements, heights, weights, gender etc.

I wish we could all bake a cake of smiles and rainbows and just be friends. But we cant. Because this is MFP. And as I've learnt thus far the only thing that everyone agrees on is that no one should agree on anything.....
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 and I find it hard to get that many calories in daily! And I am not starving and I feel like I'm eating all the time. I don't eat back calories from walking 5 miles a day and/or the days I work out (3-4 times a week).
    Someone should write a sticky for all these people. Seriously.

They'll be back on here years later saying they don't know what went wrong and gained the weight back and more.

Exactly. 1200 is not so,etching you can do for life.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Before exercise I am eating about 1600/1700 calories. I burn about 400 calories a day.

I am still losing weight, I am losing about 1 kilo (2.2lbs) per week. For me to maintain I will be doing 1800-2000 calories and still exercising.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and have just started on MFP. Beforehand I was eating around 900 cals a day, losing weight, but still feeling a little hungry.
    Since starting, I've upped it to 1200, am still losing weight but more slowly (only have another 10lbs to lose though) and feel awesome.

I find it funny how taller, more active people are saying that those on a 1200 cal diet must be starving themselves because there's no way that can be healthy/fulfiling. Maybe YOU can't survive everyday on that amount, but I can, because we're different people with different requirements, heights, weights, gender etc.

I wish we could all bake a cake of smiles and rainbows and just be friends. But we cant. Because this is MFP. And as I've learnt thus far the only thing that everyone agrees on is that no one should agree on anything.....

Don't forget everyone must also be as viciously snotty as they can get away with while disagreeing. Rawr.

I do fine on 1200, too. No BMI calculator puts my sedentary maintenance for my goal weight at over 1500, so I won't be eating a whole lot more once I hit maintenance, either. And so what? I spent two years eating 3000+ calories every day. Does anyone really think 1750 a day looks like significantly more calories to me than 1450? Please. It's a two bite candy-bar and maybe one of those really small bags of chips. Besides, now that I buy healthy food, my grocery bill is high enough. I don't want to have to eat more!
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1200 calories works well for me as a temporary solution AND only if I consume the "right" foods.

And by "right" foods I mean a balanced diet with plenty of fibre and protein. If I mess up and have some junk food, I am almost always hungry when I finish the day. If I eat loads of veggies, lean meat, beans, and other nutrient-dense foods, then I usually feel full by the time I go to bed.

I know that as a 63 kg (139 lb) woman at 160 cm (5'3), a 1200-calorie diet places me at eating below my BMR. I know if I continue to eat at 1200 calories in the long run then it would be stressful on my body. However, I'm only eating at 1200 because a) I find it's giving my body the "kick start" it needs, especially after yo-yo dieting for most of my life, and b) my personal trainer recommended this as a start-out point, and once I get to a certain weight I can eat more and focus on maintaining.

So far it seems to be working. And eating only 1200 calories a day has also completely transformed my eating habits where I would rather spend my calories on healthy, filling foods than empty, sugary snacks. I know everyone's different, but to each their own.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I'm 5'1 and I think you're starving yourself, I agree with all the taller people - does that make you feel better?

I eat at least 1600 a day. Oh look - eating more and 3" shorter than you - so that makes me correct according to your logic that if you're taller you're wrong.

And yeah - you started at 900 so to you 1200 is probably loads of food to you - but you've got it all wrong and are doing more harm than good in the long run - esp with only 10lbs to lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Go read this link - maybe you'll learn something.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Ive just started this diet and have been on it for a week or so at 1200 calorie intake meeting that goal everytime:) and i have to say i love it :) and it works for me, i never feel hungry,light headed ect. I also horse ride my own two horses and jog 1 mile a nite with 10 squats and 10 crunches, so im giving it the thumbs up ????

Oh yeah - one week in and you say it works for you. Lets give it some time eh? :noway:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This is fairly constructive for a 1200 calorie debate post (really I am not trying to be snarky or ironic :drinker: )

My opinion is that yes, there are people who have found that 1200 calories is the amount they have to eat to lose weight at a healthy pace. However, I suspect that at least 50% of the people who are trying to eat 1200 to lose weight (especially someone who weighs currently over 180 lbs) can eat more and still continue to lose weight at a healthy pace.

Do I have evidence... only the evidence from successful posts, All I can offer is my own experience. Now I understand that this is only 2 months of data. But I hope to comeback to this post in 2 more months with an update. Here is my experience.

TL:DR - I net between 1700-2100 calories per day and I am losing 2-3 lbs per month.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1341254-not-new-but-enjoying-the-journey-and-not-starving-myself

We are all here for the same thing to get healthier... let's keep reading, even people with differing opinions. :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I go for around 1200 a day and that works for me, and has worked for me for over a year. But I also cycle so a few days a month I eat over and then go back down. I eat clean but I don't restrict myself from a decadent dessert or dinner out now and then so long as it fits in my calories for the day. I just make sure to plan out my meals and snacks and I order accordingly when I eat out. I also bring some of my own food items and healthy snacks when I'm going to someones place for dinner or whatever.

Bottom line is just do what works for you and your life style. This isn't a diet. Everyone has to just find something that is realistic, attainable and sustainable. Folks who have been at it for a while know that it takes a lot of trial and error and tweaking month to month or even week to week and just when you find the "right" thing that works for you... you have to change it up to keep it going.

It's a process and there is no blue print that works for everyone.

What bothers me is that many folks have decided that a computer program is better than actually listening to their own bodies.

It's awesome and so very helpful to track calories and macro's and have this place as a guide for nutrition and support but truly... listen to your body. Feed it when it's hungry, when it's "real" hunger, not just a craving or out of boredom or habit.

Just my opinion. I can't say what works for anyone else, I only know what has worked for me.

Instead of bashing each other we should be open minded individuals... we all have really good tricks, tips, advice and real life experience we could share with each other but I guess it's more fun to be opinionated and stubborn. We are only human...
  • kimmipoo72
    Options
    Where are all of the 1200 calorie people weight wise now? I'm new to MFP and just found this thread. Every person I've ever known to restrict to such a degree always regained the pounds, and they brought friends.
  • christinethompson1978
    Options
    Cant everyone just agree that what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another, I encountered a rather opinionated woman yesterday who swears by low carb, high protein and high fat, well thats not for me but 1200 a day isnt for her, i find being strict with myself works and suits me, what she does suits her. Each to their own
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Some of us are short petite females. Even at 1200 calories we lose less than a pound a week.