1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    This post is a bit patronising. I am short with a petite frame and am for the most part inactive. I lost most of my weight eating around 1200 calories. It took me over a year and a half to lose 57 lbs. That's hardly fast weight loss! I'm currently on 1250 calories, losing weight VERY slowly. It's taken me over a month to lose 2.4 lbs. If I was eating more, I would not lose any weight, but likely gain it.

Just because something works for you, that doesn't mean it will work for the rest of us. It doesn't mean your way is the only right way and the rest of us are doing things wrong.

I dont understand what you find patronising - you are short and petite and presumably female - yes you may well be one of the small group for whom 1200 is appropriate - and i dont think anyone has said there are no such people

but 2 posters who appear to be young men (if their avatar is them) are not in that group of people..

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Does coffee count as water?

My urologist says all fluids except soda count towards my fluid intake, including wine. I'm not going to argue.

why leave out soda when its like 95% water....

Maybe the sugar and caffeine? Hazarding a guess.

Like the sugar that is in wine? (Since it’s made out of fermented grapes)....
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I understand that 1200 is the minimum amount for a woman but I feel as though too many people are hating against it as if it were unhealthy when it isn't. I lose 1 lb a week on 1200 calories and if I were to increase it the process would be too slow for me. I have been doing this for many months now and I feel just fine. I do also acknowledge that not all women can feel satiated on this amount of calories and that's alright because you can lose on more calories.

Don't see the need to make it seem like it is such an unhealthy way to approach weight loss. On reddit there is a subreddit 1200isplenty and many women on there are progressing just fine with this strategy.

Did you see that the primary person now being responded to is a guy? Do you think you and a larger guy should be eating the same amount of calories? Can you point out where in the 2018 portion of this thread people are saying that 1200 calories is unhealthy for everyone (as opposed to the man I see all the "unhealthy" comments being directed to)?

Do you know for sure that all the women on that reddit are using a food scale for all solids and logging everything accurately and completely? Or are they using the common estimations many people use and end up under-stating their calories?

Oh I never meant it works for a man, that would be unhealthy i mean those referring to other women in this thread saying its too low when it isnt. As long as the woman is not doing harm to herself with the rate she's chosen people should let them be. Of course I don't know if all of them are using scales but I'm sure not ALL of them dont.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Does coffee count as water?

My urologist says all fluids except soda count towards my fluid intake, including wine. I'm not going to argue.

why leave out soda when its like 95% water....

For me I guess it's because of my kidney disease and prediabetic status. I never really asked. I don't drink soda anyway so it truly doesn't matter to me. For the average person, I would say drink away.
  • etherealanwar
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    As a wise rabbit used to say, “the winner is the one who eats the most and still loses the weight”...

Not sure why people purposely try to go to the bare minimum calories. Many people give up altogether, or never even start, because they think they will be miserable on a low calorie target. Letting people know that it is possible to eat more and still lose should be encouraging, not seen as a patronizing criticism of their approach..,

I do agree and if I could lose at the same rate with more calories i'd be flipping happy but I've acknowledged what my patience level is and I'll compromise with lower calories. Nothing is wrong with eating more and losing slower though!
  • etherealanwar
    edited November 2018
    Options
    As a wise rabbit used to say, “the winner is the one who eats the most and still loses the weight”...

Not sure why people purposely try to go to the bare minimum calories. Many people give up altogether, or never even start, because they think they will be miserable on a low calorie target. Letting people know that it is possible to eat more and still lose should be encouraging, not seen as a patronizing criticism of their approach..,

I do agree and if I could lose at the same rate with more calories i'd be flipping happy but I've acknowledged what my patience level is and I'll compromise with lower calories. Nothing is wrong with eating more and losing slower though!

Have you lost weight before and regained it and that’s why you’re impatient and are going for faster loss?

No I have not, this is my first time attempting to lose weight. I was slim for the majority of my life until I was put on on antipsychotics and my appetite skyrocketed leading to a 65 lbs gain in less than a year. It's taken me about 4 years now to finally get my butt into gear to decide to lose weight but I was not always on 1200 calories. For the first about 5-6 months I was averaging more around 1400-1500 calories and its only been the past 3-4 months that I've been more strict and sticking to 1200-1300 calories. I don't think I'm losing at a fast rate at all, down 43.4 lbs in a years span. If I were trying to lose 2 lbs a week then that would be too aggressive. I'm still considered overweight and have about 32 lbs left to my ultimate goal. I just know myself in that I will give up if I increase my calories and lose only 0.5lb a week or less :(
  • seagrava
    seagrava Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a really crappy metabolism, even with exercise, so if I eat >1800/day, I gain. 1200 is really hard though; that's what most post-op bariatric diets are and is the recommended minimum. I'm trying 1600/day now because I just can't do 1200 unless I sleep all day, we'll see what happens!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm reading @me0231's question as-
    Why do men get a higher minimum, 1500, than women, 1200, even if they weigh equal or less than a woman at the same height.

The answer, as far as I know, is that men have a higher BMR, in general, due to a larger muscle mass. Bone density and testosterone probably come into play somewhere too.

Cheers, h.

Also, I don't know many (any, personally) men my height of 5'2. Smaller doesn't just mean lighter at the same height (I know you know this :wink: just clarifying for the peanut gallery). IMO it's probably never ideal for a 5'8 woman to eat 1200 either.

At 5'9", I can confirm that 1200 calories is never my friend...

You tall people, always bragging :laugh: