Big Bang Theory

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I hate this show.

Same :/
    As a real life "nerd" (recent engineering school graduate, works as a computer programmer) I just don't get the appeal.

People can now make fun of us and perpetuate stereotypes on TV as well as in real life ^_^

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That happens all the time...
    Do you see how Hollywood depicts men??
  • I love Sheldon, he's just like my bf :love:
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    I hate this show. It's like Blackface for nerds

People who only hate this show because they don't understand the jokes. Love Bernadette!

<<< is an actual scientist.

I think I get most of the science jokes. When they manage to actually get the theories right.

PS. Schroedingers Cat means the complete opposite of what you think it means.

<-- is a considerably more experienced scientist. Love the show. I spot colleagues regularly.

And the blackface reference is a somewhat offensive stretch, for what it's worth. Yeah, not really an equivalent form of oppression we're talking about here, is it?

My mentioning of being a scientist wasn't to discredit the show, it was to highlight that yeah, I could probably understand the jokes.

I apologise if you were offended by the blackface joke. That being said I find the show very offensive to myself and others who share my profession and hobbies.

Again, these are not really entirely equivalent forms of offense.

I suspect you might need to gain a tiny bit of perspective on the world.

When you say its offensive to your profession, are you actually an academic, or a student? If the former, at 23, you must have really shot through college to get that doctorate and get into an academic job. Kudos.

CHICK SCIENTISTS FIGHT!!!!

Lol.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Raises hand!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

As a real life "nerd" (recent engineering school graduate, works as a computer programmer) I just don't get the appeal.

People can now make fun of us and perpetuate stereotypes on TV as well as in real life ^_^

Exactly. These aren't jokes for nerds. They're jokes about us.
    Using a one dimensional 'nerdy' character as a mouthpiece for crappy bulky jokes doesn't make it any less offensive
    The fact that you think the characters are one-dimensional "mouth-pieces" tells me you've never actually REALLY watched the show. What's most wonderful about it is that they are NOT one-dimensional or stereotypical.
  • it's one of my favourite shows! followed from the first episode, sheldon and amy are just my favourite pair!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    I hate this show.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That happens all the time...
    Do you see how Hollywood depicts men??

Yes. Sometimes horribly. Nobody is saying that's ok either
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member

Using a one dimensional 'nerdy' character as a mouthpiece for crappy bulky jokes doesn't make it any less offensive
    The fact that you think the characters are one-dimensional "mouth-pieces" tells me you've never actually REALLY watched the show. What's most wonderful about it is that they are NOT one-dimensional or stereotypical.
    Agreed. Somehow Howard ended up being a pretty expansive character. I really like watching his character progression. Leonard and Penny suffer a lot of snap-back, and Sheldon isn't allowed to grow because he's the iconic character, but the rest of the cast have really changed over the years in endearing ways.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member

I have completed my bachelors and am 3/4 through my Masters. I never claimed to have a PhD.

I also don't claim that they are equivalent forms of offence. I simply made a comparison between the two, and any offence caused to you.

Ah I see. My apologies, I misunderstood, when you indicated that the programme was an offence against your profession. Since the programme is about academic scientists, I presumed you meant you were an academic scientist.

I believe that in making the comparison, equivalence of experience was, in fact, implied. That's kind of how comparisons work.

Anyway, it's been fun, got to go do some work now. Enjoy the rest of your degree. Being a student is fab.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Agreed. Somehow Howard ended up being a pretty expansive character. I really like watching his character progression. Leonard and Penny suffer a lot of snap-back, and Sheldon isn't allowed to grow because he's the iconic character, but the rest of the cast have really changed over the years in endearing ways.
    Even Sheldon has grown in character, though. he expressed jealousy over Amy in an episode and actually came out and said he cared for her.

They've all grown as characters as they've experienced new life events. It's very realistic and endearing.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    What do you think will ever happen to these two?
    Any Theories?

Big-Bang-Theory_320.jpg
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member

PS. Schroedingers Cat means the complete opposite of what you think it means.

But we don't know with certainty, do we? It could be the same…

:laugh:

LOL! Thank you.
  • Love the show.

I think it's funny that people don't get it...it's just a tv show...get a grip.
  • mzenzer

I have completed my bachelors and am 3/4 through my Masters. I never claimed to have a PhD.

I also don't claim that they are equivalent forms of offence. I simply made a comparison between the two, and any offence caused to you.

Ah I see. My apologies, I misunderstood, when you indicated that the programme was an offence against your profession. Since the programme is about academic scientists, I presumed you meant you were an academic scientist.

I believe that in making the comparison, equivalence of experience was, in fact, implied. That's kind of how comparisons work.

Anyway, it's been fun, got to go do some work now. Enjoy the rest of your degree. Being a student is fab.

BAZINGA! :laugh:
  • formongo
    formongo Posts: 27 Member

Yup! As a scientist/nerd I feel like I'm being laughed at when I watch this show so even though the writing and acting are better than average for tv I still don't like it.
  • jbc43221
    jbc43221 Posts: 39 Member
    Howard's Mom
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Howard's Mom

I would love to see what she looks like!! LOL
  • mzenzer
    Love the show.

I think it's funny that people don't get it...it's just a tv show...get a grip.

Exactly. It's entertainment, that is all. I will bet good money that those that take offence at the show's depictions of "nerds" have laughed at other stereotypes at some point in their life that would be highly offensive to that stereotype. Hypocrisy abounds. That being said, I'm sure the show does offend at times...look at all the Indian jokes made against Raj, I don't see anyone here standing up for him. Oh wait, no Indians have seen this thread or at least posted, so go figure. I am a geek, and I don't take offence at geek jokes. I think it's funny and right on the mark sometimes. It's just a joke. The only time I ever take offence at someone is when a highly personal attack is made against me specifically, which is hard or near impossible for the writers of a show that don't know me to do.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I :heart: Sheldon!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Howard's Mom

I would love to see what she looks like!! LOL
    funny-Howards-mother-voice-Big-Bang-Theory.jpg

Yup! As a scientist/nerd I feel like I'm being laughed at when I watch this show so even though the writing and acting are better than average for tv I still don't like it.
    When they make a joke about something that relates to me, I laugh because it's usually funny.