Big Bang Theory

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    soft kitty warm kitty little ball of fur! Does that answer your question?

I have a wallet and t-shirt with this song on them.. Both bought for me by the same friend lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    When they make a joke about something that relates to me, I laugh because it's usually funny.

I worked in journalism for many years. There are entire Facebook pages dedicated to making fun of us. Usually they are run by and "liked" by 99% journalists or former journalists. They are full of stereotypes. They are funny and fun.

I laugh at myself all the time.

Community, IT Crowd, The Guild, Comic Book Men
    All shows that offer affectionate parody or portrayal of nerds. BBT makes it cruel IMO

Hermione-Granger-Shake-My-Head-Gif.gif

The generation gap is showing here. I remember the first time I watched a "nerd show" that made me proud to be a nerd. That was the movie "Revenge of the Nerds." My friends and I were applauding and whooping at the end. And then the scene where they were all, "Who is proud to be a nerd?" and we were in tears, literally. That was nearly 30 years ago. The fact that this show is going on its seventh season is a testament to how portrayal of nerds has changed over the years. You are too young to remember how nerds used to be portrayed in popular culture. These guys are so awesome in their portrayal of nerds being *real* people with *real* thoughts, feelings, interests, etc. They are entirely lovable. For you to be offended is not just absurd, but downright ignorant, imo. Check out how nerds were portrayed in the 70s and early 80s, then get back with me.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    I hate this show. It's like Blackface for nerds

Your comment was so damn ignorant! How dear you compare this show to BLACKFACE? seriously? You need to go to school and read a little bit before you start making ignorant comments like the one you just made!

HAHAHA I came her for hot pictures of Penny and Bernadette and end up with the best thread of the day!!! I love you MFP!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    When they make a joke about something that relates to me, I laugh because it's usually funny.

I worked in journalism for many years. There are entire Facebook pages dedicated to making fun of us. Usually they are run by and "liked" by 99% journalists or former journalists. They are full of stereotypes. They are funny and fun.

All shows that offer affectionate parody or portrayal of nerds. BBT makes it cruel IMO

The generation gap is showing here. I remember the first time I watched a "nerd show" that made me proud to be a nerd. That was the movie "Revenge of the Nerds." My friends and I were applauding and whooping at the end. And then the scene where they were all, "Who is proud to be a nerd?" and we were in tears, literally. That was nearly 30 years ago. The fact that this show is going on its seventh season is a testament to how portrayal of nerds has changed over the years. You are too young to remember how nerds used to be portrayed in popular culture. These guys are so awesome in their portrayal of nerds being *real* people with *real* thoughts, feelings, interests, etc. They are entirely lovable. For you to be offended is not just absurd, but downright ignorant, imo. Check out how nerds were portrayed in the 70s and early 80s, then get back with me.
    Look at Saved By the Bell!

"Nerds" were just props in that show.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,531 Member
    The only thing that bothers me is that Penny has been getting gradually dumber and dumber as the series goes on. She started at average intelligence and kid of started rolling backwards.
    I noticed that, too, and I don't like it.

The first few seasons, she didn't know the science stuff, but she was street smart. Now she's turning into just a dumb blond.

That's interesting! We always seem to see things differently. I was thinking that since she has been hanging with the guys, she has learned quite a bit. However, in considering the episode where she did the history paper on slavery, I have to admit you have a valid point, RML.
    Also the one with Bob Newhart. She came off so ridiculously dumb in that one, even when he explained things really well. Yet she understood things Sheldon taught her when she was trying to learn some physics when she first dated Leonard.

And we don't ALWAYS see things differently! :wink:

To be fair, she didn't understand a thing Sheldon taught her - just memorised lines. Like an actress.
    I agree the character has started to come across as slower, I wonder if that's got something to do with her drinking problem?
  • WendyTerry420
    The only thing that bothers me is that Penny has been getting gradually dumber and dumber as the series goes on. She started at average intelligence and kid of started rolling backwards.

The first few seasons, she didn't know the science stuff, but she was street smart. Now she's turning into just a dumb blond.

That's interesting! We always seem to see things differently. I was thinking that since she has been hanging with the guys, she has learned quite a bit. However, in considering the episode where she did the history paper on slavery, I have to admit you have a valid point, RML.
    Also the one with Bob Newhart. She came off so ridiculously dumb in that one, even when he explained things really well. Yet she understood things Sheldon taught her when she was trying to learn some physics when she first dated Leonard.

Yep, you are right about that. I had forgotten about that episode! You have made me think about it, and I have to agree that the Penny character is inconsistent for sure.

And true, we do see eye-to-eye often enough; we just seem to come at things from a different angle. :wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I hate this show.

Same :/
    As a real life "nerd" (recent engineering school graduate, works as a computer programmer) I just don't get the appeal.

People can now make fun of us and perpetuate stereotypes on TV as well as in real life ^_^

Like that has never been done before. :huh:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member

Yep, you are right about that. I had forgotten about that episode! You have made me think about it, and I have to agree that the Penny character is inconsistent for sure.

And true, we do see eye-to-eye often enough; we just seem to come at things from a different angle. :wink:

Yaaay, I started a productive conversation! :drinker:
  • rml_16
    To be fair, she didn't understand a thing Sheldon taught her - just memorised lines.

Hmmm. I came away with the impression she understood it a little bit, at least. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I see that episode. I'm annoyed it went off Netflix streaming. :grumble:
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    [Yaaay, I started a productive conversation! :drinker:

Yeah what happened there?? I thought we were just trying to figure out which chick was hottest
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Absolutely HOOKED. I've seen all the episodes and re-runs again and again. They air it on three different channels here, so it's pretty much always on. They never get old. <3
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    its a typical CBS comedy like Two and a Half Men. they get some cheap laughs but thats about it.
  • WendyTerry420

That's a great example! Nerds were ridiculed back then, or thought of as someone to help the main character with their homework on one episode or whatever. But a main character? A whole cast of nerds? Unthinkable back then.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Got hooked and went back to start from the beginning......... :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    @laces_out
    its a typical CBS comedy like Two and a Half Men. they get some cheap laughs but thats about it.

Man....LOST

That shows ending pissed me off so much
    I invested so much in that show, just to be given a finger at the end. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :explode:
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member

I have a masters degree and I can still totally identify with Penny sometimes... my Penny moments are quite classic... she just looks at things from a simplier view point than analyzing everything... sometimes that's not such a bad thing ;) oh and bernie and priya - smart and sexy...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    The generation gap is showing here.

I think that's the biggest part of it.

The first "all nerd" show I remember was Head of the Class, and even on that show, there was only one actual awkward nerd, and he was still the butt of every joke.

Even Doogie Howser was a step up.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

Being the only "non-nerd" character on the show, I'm sure it's hard for the writers to find a direction with her character.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

That's a great example! Nerds were ridiculed back then, or thought of as someone to help the main character with their homework on one episode or whatever. But a main character? A whole cast of nerds? Unthinkable back then.

huh?

what about Square Pegs?
  • rml_16
    @laces_out

Man....LOST

That shows ending pissed me off so much
    I invested so much in that show, just to be given a finger at the end. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :explode:
    The ending of Lost made me homicidal toward the writers. I am STILL angry about that one!

That was an example of terrible writing. They didn't know where they were going with the show, so they just threw a bunch of stuff out there and then couldn't figure out a way to wrap it up.