Big Bang Theory

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Ok Who is Hotter?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGn4JnKNcG9uEH9fcxg73SwjSJLBpfSK2PhJ-iy4GrhaCzSsyZug

Personally I prefer Penny.....

Penny looks better with bangs. After the first couple of seasons her hairstyle kind of makes her look hard and not as pretty.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    by far one of my favorite shows on TV right now... fantastic actors with great underlying story lines... and lets be honest - someone will always be offended by something... to each their own... i'll take this any day over keeping up with the kardashians though that's for sure!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    When they make a joke about something that relates to me, I laugh because it's usually funny.

I worked in journalism for many years. There are entire Facebook pages dedicated to making fun of us. Usually they are run by and "liked" by 99% journalists or former journalists. They are full of stereotypes. They are funny and fun.

I laugh at myself all the time.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I Love the Big Bang Theory! My BF hates when it comes on because I sing the theme song and yell BANG at the end! LOL

Bazinga
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    PS. Schroedingers Cat means the complete opposite of what you think it means.

Love the show, but agree about Schroedinger's Cat. Every time they make a reference I want to punch a hole in a wall.
  • rml_16
    PS. Schroedingers Cat means the complete opposite of what you think it means.

Love the show, but agree about Schroedinger's Cat. Every time they make a reference I want to punch a hole in a wall.
    I just feel sad about the poor cat in the box.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Random references to science facts do not make a show smart. Character and plot development do. BBT is a dumb show about smart people, as opposed to something like "Arrested Development" which is a smart show about dumb people.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    When they make a joke about something that relates to me, I laugh because it's usually funny.

I worked in journalism for many years. There are entire Facebook pages dedicated to making fun of us. Usually they are run by and "liked" by 99% journalists or former journalists. They are full of stereotypes. They are funny and fun.

I also play the viola... :-)

Being able to laugh at yourself is a life skill. Builds resilience.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member

Community, IT Crowd, The Guild, Comic Book Men
    All shows that offer affectionate parody or portrayal of nerds. BBT makes it cruel IMO
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm not a scientist or an intellectual ... but I am a lifelong dork, nerd and geek.

I find their portrayal of the social awkwardness of a "family" of misfits to be fairly accurate and completely endearing. It's exaggerated for comedy, because that's what comedy does. Just like Mary Tyler Moore was an exaggeration of a single working woman, Rosanne was an exaggeration of a frazzled working class family, and Modern Family is an exaggeration of a .... pretty much every kind of mixed family out there.
  • Mutant13
    Random references to science facts do not make a show smart. Character and plot development do. BBT is a dumb show about smart people, as opposed to something like "Arrested Development" which is a smart show about dumb people.

This
  • rml_16
    Apples and oranges.

That's like comparing Mad Men to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Both TV dramas, but completely different in every other way. Yet both very good at what they do.
  • rml_16

All shows that offer affectionate parody or portrayal of nerds. BBT makes it cruel IMO
    So then it's OK to make fun of nerds who are not science nerds? Because you are a science "nerd," so it's not OK to make fun of science nerds.
  • Mutant13

So then it's OK to make fun of nerds who are not science nerds? Because you are a science "nerd," so it's not OK to make fun of science nerds.

What?
    No. It's the way that the show is written that makes it different. That argument doesn't even apply because in addition to being a 'science nerd' I am also an avid collector/tabletopper/PC gamer/LARPer/comic book reader. All things that are discussed in the other shows.
  • rml_16

What?
    No. It's the way that the show is written that makes it different. That argument doesn't even apply because in addition to being a 'science nerd' I am also an avid collector/tabletopper/PC gamer/LARPer/comic book reader. All things that are discussed in the other shows.
    Please tell me, specifically, how the show is written that is so offensive. Because from what you've posted in this thread, I don't believe you've ever sat through an entire episode.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    woohoo...another chick fight!!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member

Please tell me, specifically, how the show is written that is so offensive. Because from what you've posted in this thread, I don't believe you've ever sat through an entire episode.

Stand back, ma'am. She's a scientist!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    I hate this show. It's like Blackface for nerds

People who only hate this show because they don't understand the jokes. Love Bernadette!

I like the show. But No one does NOT, not get the jokes. It's a show about Nerds for Non-Nerds; it is not deep at all...Not like the OLD SNL where you had to pause a minute before you 'got it'. If you have to pause to get these jokes then your IQ is about 80.
  • Kellyscupcake
    Kellyscupcake Posts: 30 Member
    Amazing.
    Best show on television

h.baz_.du_.jpg
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member

What?

Wait a minute. I watch the guild and I watch BBT ...They make the one mom in the guild look like a horrible mother ,constantly locking her kids in playpens and hiring and nanny so she can raid. Yet I don't take offense even though I'm a mother and used to raid. How do you take offense to BBT the show is funny ,well written and the characters have depth that most show don't. I've been a nerd my whole life and nothing on the show offends me. If it bothers you maybe you should look at why instead of the show itself. But then again I'm perfectly comfortable with my nerdiness and when they ake a joke about something that reminds me of me I laugh