Revving up slowed metabolism, gaining weight :(

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like what you want it is permission to eat more calories, because you really, really, really don't want to cut your calories.

Actually, no, because it's hard to get in 1600 calories a day of veggies and lean protein. But thanks for the condescending assumption! Did you not read the part about my eating 800-1200 calories for months at a clip? I have zero problems eating too little. And when I do eat at ridiculously low caloric levels, I lose weight. There is no reason for a 5'11 woman of my weight to be eating under 1200 calories a day. Do you intentionally promote eating disorders?

One last time, I'm going to ask people who actually understand the science around slowed metabolism due to excessive dieting, coming out of that, the weight gain that happens initially before things balance out, to please come offer guidance. It's insulting to read these comments insinuating I'm either lying or stupid. I'm neither.

Well, good luck with your weight loss. Something tells me it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Also, when did I tell you to cut down to 1200 or less? I don't remember doing that.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    There is really no number we can give you for this unless you get your RMR tested.. and even then it doesn't mean your body isn't going to try to fill stores when you eat over whatever deficit you been at for a long time. That is probably what is happening now, your body is trying to repair itself and holding water.. I know some people that are in long deficits can take 2 months of eating to see that weight level off so they can cut again.. Being 5'11 1200 calories is not the answer.. either is 1300-1400-1500.. with exercise its probably 2000.. but if you jump to those numbers its going to really kick your weight gain up.. I would slowly increase calories every week until your gain levels off.
    Most people just freak out when the scale moves and cut again.. so its up to you.

He gets it. Thank you. And yes, I am part of 'most people' in that I am fah-reaking out, but I don't want to repeat the cycle. I refuse to cut back down to a ridiculous caloric level, further the damage. I'm sticking steady, weighing/measuring like a mad scientist, and the weight gain makes me a sad panda, but I know it's an evil necessity to undo all the damage I've done up until now. And with the lifting program that I've started, there's just no way I'm going to dump back to 1200 calories. I'm trying to reverse the damage I've done, not add to it :)
    Well, good luck with your weight loss. Something tells me it's going to get worse before it gets better.

You are correct. Which is why I was looking for guidance, because I know my body is all sorts of mixed up right now, and I know it's inevitable that the scale is not going to move where I want it to for a period of time. Just sucks in the meantime, and very difficult to not go running back to my old hat trick.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    With all due respect, I can't help thinking your body media is quite inaccurate based on what info you have given. If you go to Fitness Frog and figure your TDEE even using light exercise just to maintain you would only need 2397 calories for your age, height, and weight.
    That being said one of the things that does seem to help get the body going the right direction sometimes is to calorie cycle. Such as: one day maybe do 1600 another 1400 and then maybe 1200 and then back to 1600, etc. this confuses the body and often helps to get the metabolism where you want it. You can play with the numbers that work best for you. Another thing that may help is instead of taking a 2 or 3 mile walk, try doing 1 mile 2 or 3 times a day. This keeps your body burning more calories because the effects of exercise are felt for a few hours afterwards, so instead of only getting the effects for say 2 or 3 hours, you could get the benefits for maybe 9 hours if you did it 3 times a day.
    If nothing seems to be working, you might also want to check with your doctor to make sure there is not a medical reason, such as thyroid that is hindering you.
    Hang in there, things will get better.

So I went to that website and selected moderate exercise, because I am out there 7 days a week, 3-5 miles a day. It gave me 2703 calories for TDEE, which is spot on in alignment with my BodyMedia for days I walk 3 miles. Closer to 2900 on days I walk 5 miles.

Just had my blood panels done last month. Thyroid is ok, and I'm not diabetic or insulin resistant. Would like to know if there is something else that can be measured/tested to see what might be going on in there.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should actually go to a doctor, instead of just indulging your confirmation bias. You can keep going to different doctors until you find one who tells you what you want to hear. You probably won't lose weight, though, but that's not really the goal, is it?

I can't believe you think your metabolism is somehow out of whack, and rather than go to a doctor, you'll take the advice of some guy on the internet, and eat MORE to "fix" your broken metabolism, without any means of evaluating the efficacy of such a regimen. Basic math says you're going to gain weight, and you might gain quite a bit of weight, and who knows if your metabolism will be "fixed" by this? And when it will be fixed? And when you should start cutting calories again? What's the protocol with this "eat more to fix your metabolism" method? Will you just keep going by advice from random people on the Internet?

Edit: So you did go to a doctor, and there's no medical evidence of a "metabolic slowdown", and still you insist that's your problem?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You need to give your weight lifting some time. It's going to take some months to build your lean muscle mass back up. It's good that you are using BodyMedia. I would think that will help you 'mentally' during this rough period.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Maybe you should actually go to a doctor, instead of just indulging your confirmation bias. You can keep going to different doctors until you find one who tells you what you want to hear. You probably won't lose weight, though, but that's not really the goal, is it?

I can't believe you think your metabolism is somehow out of whack, and rather than go to a doctor, you'll take the advice of some guy on the internet, and eat MORE to "fix" your broken metabolism, without any means of evaluating the efficacy of such a regimen. Basic math says you're going to gain weight, and you might gain quite a bit of weight, and who knows if your metabolism will be "fixed" by this? And when it will be fixed? And when you should start cutting calories again? What's the protocol with this "eat more to fix your metabolism" method? Will you just keep going by advice from random people on the Internet?

So now you are assuming I don't go to the dr? Just went for my physical last month, thyroid checks out fine. Fasting blood sugar, fine. Anything else you'd like to assume? I didn't come here for a debate. I came here for guidance on a topic I've discussed with other like-minded individuals without issue on this forum before. If you don't buy into it, you don't need to continue in the discussion. Why do you feel the need to be so snarky? Yes, because my goal isn't to lose weight. You got me all figured out. Thanks for the 'reality check'. :indifferent:
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    You need to give your weight lifting some time. It's going to take some months to build your lean muscle mass back up. It's good that you are using BodyMedia. I would think that will help you 'mentally' during this rough period.

Yes, the weight lifting is something very new and I'm excited to see the progress as it occurs. My goal isn't to become twiggy or skinny-fat, I'd like to hit around 25% body fat. My trainer figures I could stick around 185#/25% body fat, and be slammin' :) That's hard to envision tho, because I've been down to 182 at one point, and still had more to go....but that was with little muscle mass. I can understand that with more muscle, I can be heavier and still look good, it's just hard to envision seeing that number on the scale, and being happy with what's in the mirror. All in due time! :)
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Eat at your current rate with correct macros. Keep your activity level where it is and add in strength training, not sure what the regimen looks like but don't be afraid of the barbell. Don't change anything for a month, assess then adjust from there.

A lot of us get frustrated at the slow rate in which things change in our bodies. Give it time and build some muscle!
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

Edit: So you did go to a doctor, and there's no medical evidence of a "metabolic slowdown", and still you insist that's your problem?

So you think thyroid is the only test to indicate metabolic adjustments? 12 forum posts, and most of them flaming me. Troll much? *eyeroll* I'm done dealing with you. You've added nothing to this discussion. Enjoy your keyboard warrior status. It looks great on you.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Eat at your current rate with correct macros. Keep your activity level where it is and add in strength training, not sure what the regimen looks like but don't be afraid of the barbell. Don't change anything for a month, assess then adjust from there.

A lot of us get frustrated at the slow rate in which things change in our bodies. Give it time and build some muscle!

:) We do circuit training, each day focuses on one area of the body + abs. For instance, the class I attended last week was shoulders/abs. Left there feeling awesome, couldn't hardly lift my arm to brush my teeth the next day, and the following day my abs told me how good a job I did in class, LOL!

My trainer is out of town until Thursday, but I remember enough about the Wednesday shoulder circuit to duplicate it at home. Also doing MMA classes with my husband. Spent Saturday learning clenchwork, and how to deliver powerful kicks. Fun stuff!
  • QuietBloom
    Options

So now you are assuming I don't go to the dr? Just went for my physical last month, thyroid checks out fine. Fasting blood sugar, fine. Anything else you'd like to assume? I didn't come here for a debate. I came here for guidance on a topic I've discussed with other like-minded individuals without issue on this forum before. If you don't buy into it, you don't need to continue in the discussion. Why do you feel the need to be so snarky? Yes, because my goal isn't to lose weight. You got me all figured out. Thanks for the 'reality check'. :indifferent:

Well, if your doctor can't find evidence that you're in a metabolic "slowdown", why do you think you're in one? And if this is such a "scientific" subject, where is the science? What are the methods whereby one measures one's metabolic slowdown, and how exactly does eating more calories help? I want to see the science, if we're getting all science-y. Or if this is just a pseudoscience circlejerk, let me know, I'm happy to go elsewhere.

Metabolic slowdown not caused by thyroid = less LBM and higher fat%. This happens with multiple losses with VLCD followed by regaining weight, each time LBM goes down and fat% goes up relative to end weight. I am assuming this is what OP is talking about.

OP, I calculated your BMR to be 1558 based on your information. Is that the number you are working with as well?
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The Body Media Fit is supposed to be one of the most accurate devices on the market, so I doubt it is seriously over estimating her caloric burn! She is also quite tall, so a low caloric diet (1200-1500) isn't remotely reasonable for those of you questioning her caloric intake!

Actually, 1600 cals/day is low. Based on a 20% deficit, her goal should be 2000-2100 (on 2700 cal burn) or 1850 (based on 2300 calorie burn). The TDEE-20% method is based on a stable daily caloric intake, despite small increases/decreases in caloric burn. I would eat somewhere in the middle of your caloric requirements, such as 1900-2000 calories/day & give it a good 4-6 weeks for your weight to stabilize. Also weight lifting to maintain lean body mass is an excellent idea. I try to intake a MINIMUM of 1 gm/kg/lean body weight per day, which at 5'-8" and 160 pounds is at least 110 gms/day. I actually shoot for 135 grams & usually exceed that goal. All those goals are built in to maintain my lean body mass (muscle). It doesn't do any good to lose weight, lose muscle mass, but maintain fat (% body fat). Muscle burns calories MUCH MORE efficiently than fat!!! I've lost 57 pounds doing the above & have dropped my % body fat from 42% to 32.8%. I've only lost 4 pounds of muscle, the remaining 53 pounds have been fat loss, and it is more obvious when looking in the mirror!!!

By the way, at 5'-8" and 160 pounds, I eat 1825 cals/day, which is calculated from my TDEE-15% (I'm 15 pounds from goal), just to give you an example. Since you are taller & heavier than me, I would expect your goal to be higher, even at TDEE-20%.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

Metabolic slowdown not caused by thyroid = less LBM and higher fat%. This happens with multiple losses with VLCD followed by regaining weight, each time LBM goes down and fat% goes up relative to end weight. I am assuming this is what OP is talking about.

OP, I calculated your BMR to be 1558 based on your information. Is that the number you are working with as well?

Thank you. And sadly, I messed up my LBM by frequently doing VLCD and endurance cardio (bicycling long distances), without adding any resistance training to my routine. Phooey. :(

As for BMR, I get a range-

Fitness Frog gives me 1744 for BMR.
    MyFitnessPal gives me 1745 for BMR.
    Calculator.net gives me 1756 for BMR

So....roughly 1740-something on the BMR. I should take a vacation day and do nothing but lay in bed for 24 hours with my BodyMedia on. LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Have you had your RMR tested professionally? The problem with things like FitBit and Body Media, etc. is that they assume a lot of averages. The fact that you have a damaged metabolism would put your outside of those statistical norms.

As I understand it, the metabolic damage is largely caused by a loss of LBM due to ver low calorie intake. While I would agree that eating a bit more would be necessary to reverse the metabolic damage, I would also think that the biggest issue is going to be re-gaining that LBM...this means you will have to eat to a level that will maintain and build body mass...which means you're going to gain weight.

I would think "fixing" it would take some time as putting on LBM takes quite a bit of time and effort...I guess my suggestion would be to get your RMR tested. My guess is that it will be lower than the statistical norm that your Body Media is using for it's estimations as well as what other calculators are giving you. If you have your RMR tested, at least you have a good starting point to work with.

From there, I would think it would be a matter of eating enough to build some mass...then cutting some fat...then eating more to build some mass...then cut, etc until your LBM comes in line with statistical norms for these calculators and these devices. I could definitely see someone of your stats having a TDEE that high if you truly fell into the statistical norm, but my guess is that you've lost too much LBM for that to be the case.

As far as how long that takes...no clue.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    The Body Media Fit is supposed to be one of the most accurate devices on the market, so I doubt it is seriously over estimating her caloric burn! She is also quite tall, so a low caloric diet (1200-1500) isn't remotely reasonable for those of you questioning her caloric intake!

Actually, 1600 cals/day is low. Based on a 20% deficit, her goal should be 2000-2100 (on 2700 cal burn) or 1850 (based on 2300 calorie burn). The TDEE-20% method is based on a stable daily caloric intake, despite small increases/decreases in caloric burn. I would eat somewhere in the middle of your caloric requirements, such as 1900-2000 calories/day & give it a good 4-6 weeks for your weight to stabilize. Also weight lifting to maintain lean body mass is an excellent idea. I try to intake a MINIMUM of 1 gm/kg/lean body weight per day, which at 5'-8" and 160 pounds is at least 110 gms/day. I actually shoot for 135 grams & usually exceed that goal. All those goals are built in to maintain my lean body mass (muscle). It doesn't do any good to lose weight, lose muscle mass, but maintain fat (% body fat). Muscle burns calories MUCH MORE efficiently than fat!!! I've lost 57 pounds doing the above & have dropped my % body fat from 42% to 32.8%. I've only lost 4 pounds of muscle, the remaining 53 pounds have been fat loss, and it is more obvious when looking in the mirror!!!

All I can say is THANK YOU :flowerforyou: And add to that, that upping my calories even more is frightening. Since I've already been at an increased caloric intake (and still in plenty of deficit) for the last 4 weeks, you think maybe I should give THIS change a little more time to adjust before throwing even more calories at the issue?
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Have you had your RMR tested professionally? The problem with things like FitBit and Body Media, etc. is that they assume a lot of averages. The fact that you have a damaged metabolism would put your outside of those statistical norms.

As I understand it, the metabolic damage is largely caused by a loss of LBM due to ver low calorie intake. While I would agree that eating a bit more would be necessary to reverse the metabolic damage, I would also think that the biggest issue is going to be re-gaining that LBM...this means you will have to eat to a level that will maintain and build body mass...which means you're going to gain weight.

I would think "fixing" it would take some time as putting on LBM takes quite a bit of time and effort...I guess my suggestion would be to get your RMR tested. My guess is that it will be lower than the statistical norm that your Body Media is using for it's estimations as well as what other calculators are giving you. If you have your RMR tested, at least you have a good starting point to work with.

From there, I would think it would be a matter of eating enough to build some mass...then cutting some fat...then eating more to build some mass...then cut, etc until your LBM comes in line with statistical norms for these calculators and these devices. I could definitely see someone of your stats having a TDEE that high if you truly fell into the statistical norm, but my guess is that you've lost too much LBM for that to be the case.

As far as how long that takes...no clue.

Who performs the RMR test? Is this bloodwork or done in a fitness lab or something? We've got a fitness lab at one of the local colleges. I know they do VO2 max testing, but not sure if they do RMR.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Thank you. And sadly, I messed up my LBM by frequently doing VLCD and endurance cardio (bicycling long distances), without adding any resistance training to my routine. Phooey. :(

As for BMR, I get a range-

Fitness Frog gives me 1744 for BMR.
    MyFitnessPal gives me 1745 for BMR.
    Calculator.net gives me 1756 for BMR

So....roughly 1740-something on the BMR. I should take a vacation day and do nothing but lay in bed for 24 hours with my BodyMedia on. LOL

Since you know your fat %, I think the most accurate way to estimate your BMR is by using it (because fat and muscle effect your BMR a lot). For instance, I found out I could eat MORE once I knew my fat%, because I actually had MORE LBM than I realized. I think those other calculators are OVER estimating your BMR.

Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Use the Katch-McCardle mode, where you enter in your body fat %. That will take into account your LBM vs your FBM and (unfortunately) shows that you have less LBM than most calculators are estimating. For instance, when I plugged in your numbers (weight, height, age, sex, BF%) gave me a BMR of 1558 for you. It's not a huge difference, but every little bit counts when you are playing with the ultimate calculator (your body).
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    hi!

I'm in the same boat, I'm at 5'4" at around 155lbs. I used to also starve myself at 1,200 cals then would binge, so I decided to take the plunge of raising my calories to 1800 a day. I gained about 3lbs, now about 2 months later, I feel a bit less bloated, my smaller jeans are fitting again. I blame it on bloating and my body freaking out that I'm not starving it. I figure it's fluctuations in composition as well.
    I'm not an expert, but I'm sticking to this, I'm hardly ever starving, I do eat back my exercise calories, I feel my body was starving and I'm finally feeding it properly.
    I'm going to start lifting, Many women who lift swear by it, so I figure it's something worth a try.

I really don't think many people here can answer your specific question, a nutritionist might. I read that "metabolic damage" can be more of a myth, but don't quote me on it.
    hope you find what you're looking for.
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

Since you know your fat %, I think the most accurate way to estimate your BMR is by using it (because fat and muscle effect your BMR a lot). For instance, I found out I could eat MORE once I knew my fat%, because I actually had MORE LBM than I realized. I think those other calculators are OVER estimating your BMR.

Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Use the Katch-McCardle mode, where you enter in your body fat %. That will take into account your LBM vs your FBM and (unfortunately) shows that you have less LBM than most calculators are estimating. For instance, when I plugged in your numbers (weight, height, age, sex, BF%) gave me a BMR of 1558 for you. It's not a huge difference, but every little bit counts when you are playing with the ultimate calculator (your body).

Ok, I've done that, and come up with the same BMR you got. Now I poked around a little further to get my TDEE for days which I'm not just lounging in bed, lol. I chose 'exercise 3x/week', which is modest because I do get out there and walk every day, but I mean...it's walking. It's not HIIT or anything, but I'm not a couch potato, ya know? I DO get out there and move more than schlepping downstairs to my home office and sit all day :) So, based on 'exercise 3x/week', I got a TDEE of 2142. Which gives me a TDEE -20% of 1713. And I'm currently hitting right at or just below 1600 calories a day.

So based on this, am I using this tool right?