Off topic, and I will probably stir the pot......

Options
keef1972
keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
Off topic, and I will probably stir the pot......but I am curious what most people think.

Here goes: I was reading in the news the other night about someone who is fighting to have a medical assisted suicide. Naturally, she is getting resistance.
I'm just curious what everyone thinks about the topic....?? Me, personally, I think it's the person's right to do as they want, after-all, it is their body.
We wouldn't let our pet(s) suffer, so....is it right for Doctors and the medical community to let people suffer....??

Replies

• tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    There would have to be some sort of conditions because what happens if you're just having a bad day? Everyone in their life has thought about ending it before (especially as teenagers) so where would you draw the line?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    If someone is sick or no longer 'useful' to society we say: It's okay! Let them kill themselves!

But if someone young and healthy tries to commit suicide we intervene?

Just think about that.

Mentally suffering can be just as devastating as measurable physical suffering so why do we protect the one but ignore the other?
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I think someone should inform her that a .22 round is much cheaper than medical.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think that it is the persons right IF they are legally sane and not suffering from a mental condition that makes it impossible for them to make an informed choice. Psychologists would/should be required to verify that the person is sane and capable of making their own informed decisions, just like we do before trials.

If they are and they still want it I think it is better for all to be done at a hospital than by themselves where a family or friend will most likely have to walk in on and find them.

But that is just my two cents..
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I think they should be allowed, they should do a psyh evaluation, and if they are unable to give consent (e.g. Alzheimers patient), then have a family member, but it shouldn't be an over night decision, it should be lengthy and thorough
  • keef1972
    keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If someone is sick or no longer 'useful' to society we say: It's okay! Let them kill themselves!

But if someone young and healthy tries to commit suicide we intervene?

Just think about that.

Mentally suffering can be just as devastating as measurable physical suffering so why do we protect the one but ignore the other?
    Def.....they just can't walk in and say "put me under". They need to have some type of medical condition that won't improve.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    It's really none of my business why someone wants to go unless they are family or close friends(and even then it's quesitonable if it's any of my busienss). If I were an outsider looking in, I would want my family member or friend to be evaluated by a mental health professional before pulling the plug. I would also like them to get a second and third opinion as to a cure. However, if all options have been exhausted, and they want to die to end a chronic illness that is causing the suffering, then I would want them to go peacefully. I would also not like the media to get involved becuase it's no one else's business what is going on. A moment like that would be hard enough without being scrutinized by the public.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It happens in nature. Pack animals will put their elderly and/or suffering out if they are no longer useful. It isn't pretty, but that's the circle of life.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    If they are suffering..yes...we do it for our pets, why not people who are suffering in pain. It should be an individuals decision. I know they have in Europe.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Look at the way Belgium handles it, yes it is legal there but the amount of medical evaluations ect that you have to go through is astounding. That's the only way it should be allowed.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    My husband tried to tell my dentist I wanted the assisted suicide at my last cleaning appointment. Made for an awkward ride home.

Seriously though, I think it's our right as human beings to decide when and how we want to go if we are terminally ill.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think that it is the persons right IF they are legally sane and not suffering from a mental condition that makes it impossible for them to make an informed choice. Psychologists would/should be required to verify that the person is sane and capable of making their own informed decisions, just like we do before trials.

If they are and they still want it I think it is better for all to be done at a hospital than by themselves where a family or friend will most likely have to walk in on and find them.

Pretty much covers my feelings.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think, if someone is suffering and wants to die, they should be able to die peacefully and painlessly. For that to occur medically, there should be a process to determine that recovery, physical or psychological, is not likely to happen, but no one should be forced to live in misery.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options

I agree with this
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My husband tried to tell my dentist I wanted the assisted suicide at my last cleaning appointment. Made for an awkward ride home.

Seriously though, I think it's our right as human beings to decide when and how we want to go if we are terminally ill.

I about peed in my pants laughing so hard reading the 1st part of this......
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

This
  • teesfood
    Options
    WOW thats deep... Funny that I've thought about that also. But from an elderly perspective. I've seen folks that I'm close to suffer physically from old age, and then if they've lost all those close to them - it can be pretty heart wrenching... Still I agree that much evaluation is needed. Kudos for stirring the pot!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I think someone should inform her that a .22 round is much cheaper than medical.

I dunno, have you tried to buy .22 ammo lately?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a choice, and the right should be theirs.

We can talk morals and social/emotional impacts and blah blah blah. Net outcome is the same...you can either do, or do not.

I ask you, OP...what is the difference between one seeking assistance, one committing suicide, and someone who just gives up on life and allows themselves to die a slow and self-consuming life?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

I dunno, have you tried to buy .22 ammo lately?

Note: A .22 is not a guarantee. For a lobotomy, it is...for death, it is not. In fact, there are multiple cases where people have used up to and including a.357 and survived.
This discussion has been closed.