Off topic, and I will probably stir the pot......

Options

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I think someone should inform her that a .22 round is much cheaper than medical.

I dunno, have you tried to buy .22 ammo lately?

Why do you think I recommended the .22 and not the .45?
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    if she is sick and in pain and wants it to be her time to go, then they should allow it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's a very complex issue and I think we go down a slippery slope if it's legal for medical professionals to assist suicides.

If a person wants to die, why can't the person do something that doesn't require medical assistance?
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    I think that it is the persons right IF they are legally sane and not suffering from a mental condition that makes it impossible for them to make an informed choice. Psychologists would/should be required to verify that the person is sane and capable of making their own informed decisions, just like we do before trials.

If they are and they still want it I think it is better for all to be done at a hospital than by themselves where a family or friend will most likely have to walk in on and find them.

But that is just my two cents..

This

Yup, this!!! or if they are really old and bed ridden and just living off a machine..
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    IBTL

attachment.php?attachmentid=10435&d=1336404611
  • keef1972
    keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think it's a very complex issue and I think we go down a slippery slope if it's legal for medical professionals to assist suicides.

If a person wants to die, why can't the person do something that doesn't require medical assistance?
    What if they shoot themselves, don't die, and someone takes them to the hospital and are now forced to live even a worse life...??
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I love pot stirrers.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think that it is the persons right IF they are legally sane and not suffering from a mental condition that makes it impossible for them to make an informed choice. Psychologists would/should be required to verify that the person is sane and capable of making their own informed decisions, just like we do before trials.

If they are and they still want it I think it is better for all to be done at a hospital than by themselves where a family or friend will most likely have to walk in on and find them.

Fo sho. I'm very pro euthanasia assuming no one is being manipulated and they're in their right mind.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It's ironic, the ones that try and fail are usually the ones that should but can't get anything right...
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    mulligan
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a choice, and the right should be theirs.

We can talk morals and social/emotional impacts and blah blah blah. Net outcome is the same...you can either do, or do not.

I ask you, OP...what is the difference between one seeking assistance, one committing suicide, and someone who just gives up on life and allows themselves to die a slow and self-consuming life?

1uvia.gif

I love that we're friends. Not trying to make light of this topic, but you did really just lay it out the way I see it.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I live in a state that has legal death with dignity laws, and I fully support them. If you have something terminal, and you wish to chose to end your suffering, respecting that is important, in my opinion.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to add:

Everyone needs to make sure they have specific instructions for their family members on the measures they wish to be taken to preserve and or safe their life. Do you want dialysis? Do you want to be hooked up to a machine if there's very little chance you'll never get off it? Do you want a feeding tube? Everyone is saying "if the personal is able to make the decision" but things get sticky when that person isn't able to.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Thou shalt not kill.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great question... if you want to read more about the process, safeguards, statistics, etc. - go here:

http://public.health.oregon.gov/ProviderPartnerResources/Evaluationresearch/deathwithdignityact/Pages/index.aspx

This is from the State of Oregon website - the Death with Dignity Act passed in 1997. Very informative, and is a well done and thought-out law (full disclosure - I worked for the State in the years preceeding this Act being passed - I worked with the attorney who coordinated the meetings and discussions between the policy makers, physician/citizen committee, and the legislators who wrote the law).
    Obviously my bias is that it is the persons choice - with the proper safeguards.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    So far this is pretty respectful, but in before the lock, because it's just a matter of time before someone stirs the pot to the point of no return

(and yes, I totally believe in medically assisted suicide. Sound mind or not. Imagine being an Alzheimers patient and having to live that life of misery simply because you're not of "sound mind" enough to make that decision. No thank you)
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think someone should inform her that a .22 round is much cheaper than medical.

whatever all the damn crazy people have bought the stores out ...have you tried to buy any lately?
  • Diggedydog
    Options

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This thread is truly depressing!

Thank you, OP, for dragging me down today.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    beyond cruel to not let her choose.
This discussion has been closed.