Has the Government shutdown...................

Options

Replies

• LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    How is thinking someone thats worked somewhere for 20+ years should have money in savings to pay 1 mo mortgage judging??

I don't have a savings. We live paycheck to paycheck. I'm the last person to judge. However, You would THINK that someone that's been somewhere for 20+ years would have enough money to pay their mortgage. THAT'S ALL. That's not judging. Judging would be like "WTF DID SHE SPEND ALL HER MONEY ON! RAWR" NOT what I'm saying.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Good grief. People living paycheck to paycheck may have honest to goodness reasons for doing so. Fresh out of school? elderly parents to take care of? Childcare expenses? Childcare expenses for children with disabilities? Etc. Someone may have legitimately just blown through their reserves for a perfectly good reason (like their car just died, or need a new roof). Who are you to judge them as daft?

To call people daft for living paycheck to paycheck is passing judgement on folks you don't even know. It'a short sighted and makes you a massive d-bag.

QFT
    So many extenuating circumstances. SOOOOO MANY VARIABLES.
    Get off your high horses peeps.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My dad is a USDA employee, so he has been furloughed. I work for my state's department of agriculture, and I haven't had to turn in any federal reports this month. We are still waiting on farm bill and cooperative agricultural pest survey grants to come through to fund us.

I really feel for those that need wicc for their babies, though. Formula and baby foods are expensive, and I can't imagine all of a sudden having to come up with that money.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of world some of you are living in but don't call me daft for not having 3 months to a year salary saved up. I'm a single mother, work my *kitten* off and I don't have very much in savings. I save money by buying thrift store clothes, I never hit Starbucks, I pack my lunches, find free weekend activities and usually ride my bike to said free activities, I don't waste money on cable tv. Most of my paycheck goes towards my mortgage because I think one of the most important things I can provide for my daughter is a home of our own. My modest car will be paid off this month so I can finally pay off some medical bills from last March. Every time I get a little saved, I need new tires, my daughter has a school trip, something breaks in my house, etc.

Of course I would love to have some savings but it's a luxury I live without. Let's not judge others when it's pretty clear in this economy that the majority of people are struggling.
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's really idiotic to say what people should or shouldn't do with their money or to assume you know what they do with it just because you've been given one teeny tiny detail about them.

Judgey Wudgey was a Bear....

I'm not judging. I'm stating simple facts that you'd think they'd have enough savings to cover their mortgage. If not, If they're military most loaners are helping them out.

I know USAA gave us our paycheck last time the gov shut down.

I remember when I was 23 and thought I knew everything, too.

Funny how you get "dumber" the older you get...I was a frickin genius at 23
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My parents are gonig to be in trouble if this lasts long. They are in their 50's. Dad is retired military, mom is a teacher. Will they be able to pay their bills. If it last only a few months yes...if it lasts longer No. My dads salary and retirement are a huge part of what htey live off. and although they have some in savings it is not enough to last for this.

And quite a few of the middle class live paycheck to paycheck. Having 3-6 months in savings is great. But many are working to have all bills, debt paid off first.

And depending on heatlh, who they support ( many support thier children) - not mine ( I have a job) but I know lots of 20 somethings that live at home or with parents b/c the jobs they got out of college only pay 20-30,000 which is not enough to pay of student loans and live easily in a city.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Good grief. People living paycheck to paycheck may have honest to goodness reasons for doing so. Fresh out of school? elderly parents to take care of? Childcare expenses? Childcare expenses for children with disabilities? Etc. Someone may have legitimately just blown through their reserves for a perfectly good reason (like their car just died, or need a new roof). Who are you to judge them as daft?

To call people daft for living paycheck to paycheck is passing judgement on folks you don't even know. It'a short sighted and makes you a massive d-bag.

Thank you for posting what I was thinking.

Thankfully it hasn't affected me yet. Working in the car dealership world you never know if it's going to affect the federal reserve and what will happen with our transactions. I am one of those people living paycheck to paycheck and spending my "extra money" on a little bit of extra gas so having no paycheck would definitely mean an eviction for me...
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    It's really idiotic to say what people should or shouldn't do with their money or to assume you know what they do with it just because you've been given one teeny tiny detail about them.

I'm not judging. I'm stating simple facts that you'd think they'd have enough savings to cover their mortgage. If not, If they're military most loaners are helping them out.

Yeah, I'm young and stupid.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    ... I'm thinking you don't know how much government workers make. Also, a lot of people's savings are in 401ks/IRAs/other assets that are not liquid because they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming. That is, unless the government gets shut down, and who expected that?

Sorry but anyone who doesn't have a savings or any amount of money stashed away some where that is liquid, available and accessible because "they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming" is rather daft. I had a steady job and a paycheck coming and yet I still had my 401(k) and a savings account because I don't believe in living paycheck-to-paycheck (which if you have nothing saved that's what you're doing) for one and two I didn't live in a fantasy bubble where I believed "it can't happen to me" because guess what? It CAN! (Thankfully it didn't and I quit my job to start my own business but believe me that savings came in very handy when my husband struck out on his own fifteen years ago).

And Romney expected the Government shutdown. I believe he said that if Obama was reelected that people should be prepared for a Government shutdown.

I respect you very much for having a plan, however I don't think it's fair to call those without savings daft. I had a liquid savings outside of my 401k, but that went quickly when my ex walked out on me. I was stay at home mom with no job. Luckily I was able to find a job within a month and I am not on welfare. However, becuase of circumstance I no longer have a savings. I don't have the mentality of "It's can't happen to me" becuase I do struggle every week, and I do try to put a little aside each pay check. Sometimes it lasts sometimes it doesn't. I have a plan in place for the future of my savings, but right now there are other bills my money is going towards. Does that make me daft? Not at all, it makes me appreciate having my job and it forces me to understand what is essintial to survive and what isn't.

You're also not in your 40s and have been working the same job for 20+ years.. I'd think with 20+ years of the same job under your belt you'd have some savings...

SAHM getting walked out on =/= working for 20+yr

You are correct. My point was more that sometimes it's circumstances that deplete savings. I know many people bring it on themselves. My sister for example is a military wife. Her husband has been in service for 18 years now. They have nothing saved they are always too broke to do anything, and yet when he deployed in June he told her to buy 3 new things....she bought a king sized bed for herslef, a new fridge becuase her ice maker was broken, and an Ipad. Yet when her daughter wanted to go to senior prom they couldn't afford the dress. That is daft!
    The poster who used that statement didn't specify 20 years. Others did, but the post I repsonded to did not. Again, I very much respect those who do have a savings becuase it gives me hope for my financial future.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

This exactly. Everyone should have at least 3mo pay saved up. We don't because we've been struggling after my husband UNEXPECTEDLY got out of the Army and Veterans disability benefits are a joke. If you've had a steady job for 20 years you SHOULD be able to have enough money in savings to pay your bills. I know we would have.. Shoot my husband was in the Army for 6 years.. We had 10k in savings (not as much as we wanted) and lived off that for quite a while.

lol.

"everyone should have at least 3mo pay saved up. except for me."
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    affected you or someone you know personally? My DW is a civilian government worker who got to go back to work this past Monday. We're fortunate that we don't have to dig into our savings to make it now, but there are lots of people I know who will be greatly affected till it gets resolved. One isn't going to be able to pay her mortgage after being with the government 20 years.
    Others I know have had to cancel sessions with me (I'll be fine because there are other members who want my services).

Opinions?

Why can't she pay her mortgage? If she's been w/ the government that long shouldn't she have some savings?

... I'm thinking you don't know how much government workers make. Also, a lot of people's savings are in 401ks/IRAs/other assets that are not liquid because they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming. That is, unless the government gets shut down, and who expected that?

I work in mortgage and it's been pretty tough with all of the government programs we utilize, but luckily investors are making exceptions for some things. Otherwise we wouldn't be funding anything and there would be a lot of people not able to pay their bills, myself included.

I do know how much they make.. My husband was in the Army for quite a while. People who've been in for 20+ years do pretty well.
    edit:
    I also know that last time USAA paid all the military members a few days late since the government didn't pay out. I also know that during these times, most lenders don't tack on fees for military.

Military pay and civilian pay are very different. Civilian pay is capped once you reach the top tier for your grade, and if she's a lower grade then she could still be making a very moderate income, even after 20 years. And civilians don't get benefits like BAH to cover housing costs.

I have a friend whos husband (contracted civilian)did the same exact thing as someone in my DH's unit.. Her DH got $200,000 a year while deployed.. and My DH and his buddy got $45,000-50,000 while deployed...

They are still being paid by the MILITARY...........

at 200k a year they should have no problems making a decent savings.

Contract workers are NOT government employees. You can't compare the salaries.

There's that, and the keyword that nobody picked up on yet - DEPLOYED. That's a whole different ball of wax.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    And, in the long run, I'll be screwed by the ACA. :[

Yep, we all will be...
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

Sorry but anyone who doesn't have a savings or any amount of money stashed away some where that is liquid, available and accessible because "they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming" is rather daft. I had a steady job and a paycheck coming and yet I still had my 401(k) and a savings account because I don't believe in living paycheck-to-paycheck (which if you have nothing saved that's what you're doing) for one and two I didn't live in a fantasy bubble where I believed "it can't happen to me" because guess what? It CAN! (Thankfully it didn't and I quit my job to start my own business but believe me that savings came in very handy when my husband struck out on his own fifteen years ago).

And Romney expected the Government shutdown. I believe he said that if Obama was reelected that people should be prepared for a Government shutdown.

I respect you very much for having a plan, however I don't think it's fair to call those without savings daft. I had a liquid savings outside of my 401k, but that went quickly when my ex walked out on me. I was stay at home mom with no job. Luckily I was able to find a job within a month and I am not on welfare. However, becuase of circumstance I no longer have a savings. I don't have the mentality of "It's can't happen to me" becuase I do struggle every week, and I do try to put a little aside each pay check. Sometimes it lasts sometimes it doesn't. I have a plan in place for the future of my savings, but right now there are other bills my money is going towards. Does that make me daft? Not at all, it makes me appreciate having my job and it forces me to understand what is essintial to survive and what isn't.

You're also not in your 40s and have been working the same job for 20+ years.. I'd think with 20+ years of the same job under your belt you'd have some savings...

SAHM getting walked out on =/= working for 20+yr

You are correct. My point was more that sometimes it's circumstances that deplete savings. I know many people bring it on themselves. My sister for example is a military wife. Her husband has been in service for 18 years now. They have nothing saved they are always too broke to do anything, and yet when he deployed in June he told her to buy 3 new things....she bought a king sized bed for herslef, a new fridge becuase her ice maker was broken, and an Ipad. Yet when her daughter wanted to go to senior prom they couldn't afford the dress. That is daft!
    The poster who used that statement didn't specify 20 years. Others did, but the post I repsonded to did not. Again, I very much respect those who do have a savings becuase it gives me hope for my financial future.

No, He did say she'd been working there for 20 years. But some people are just stupid with money.. Hard to feel bad when they fall on hard times when you KNOW they should be fine.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

zactly.

:flowerforyou:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    How is thinking someone thats worked somewhere for 20+ years should have money in savings to pay 1 mo mortgage judging??

I don't have a savings. We live paycheck to paycheck. I'm the last person to judge. However, You would THINK that someone that's been somewhere for 20+ years would have enough money to pay their mortgage. THAT'S ALL. That's not judging. Judging would be like "WTF DID SHE SPEND ALL HER MONEY ON! RAWR" NOT what I'm saying.

I just can't even. You live paycheck to paycheck however you can't see why someone else would, regardless of how long they have worked for government? Let's be generous and say this woman makes 80k a year. Please look up the cost of living in the OP's area (also mine, the Bay Area of CA) and let me know how far 80k will stretch with a mortgage and kids (let's also assume she has kids, as it is very possible). I think I would be safely estimating the cost of living is about DOUBLE here as it is to Wichita KS where your profile says you're from. It must be nice having the belief that you can accurately judge anyone's situation by a few anecdotes from an internet forum post.
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I never called you stupid. But to assume someone older than you doesn't have more life experience, hasn't seen more than you, been through more is a little presumptuous. Don't you think most people realize they should have savings? It doesn't always work out that way. Life happens. That's where age comes in, get back to us in about 15 years. Guaranteed your tune will have changed.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

This exactly. Everyone should have at least 3mo pay saved up. We don't because we've been struggling after my husband UNEXPECTEDLY got out of the Army and Veterans disability benefits are a joke. If you've had a steady job for 20 years you SHOULD be able to have enough money in savings to pay your bills. I know we would have.. Shoot my husband was in the Army for 6 years.. We had 10k in savings (not as much as we wanted) and lived off that for quite a while.

lol.

"everyone should have at least 3mo pay saved up. except for me."

Everyone SHOULD. Not everyone CAN. If you've had a steady job for 20 years I don't see why you CAN'T.

We DON'T at the MOMENT because my husband is a disabled veteran and has had a hard time finding a JOB.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options

I never called you stupid. But to assume someone older than you doesn't have more life experience, hasn't seen more than you, been through more is a little presumptuous. Don't you think most people realize they should have savings? It doesn't always work out that way. Life happens. That's where age comes in, get back to us in about 15 years. Guaranteed your tune will have changed.

I didn't assume anything you're assuming I assumed.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I am not out of a job and no one I know is getting severely impacted... However, I run governmental payroll and they are required to run E-Verifies on each new hire. And the E-verify website is shut down and with 10 payroll clients, I have a huge list of E-Verifies I will have to complete once they do decide to get everything up and running.
This discussion has been closed.