Has the Government shutdown...................

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Victims of crime services were not operational.
  • Amanojaku
    Options
    Actually it all started when big buisness Health companies started to get out of control and charge to much so people had a hard time being able to pay for health care. So insurance companies are created with the idea that you can make monthly payments that are low and afordable enough so a person can still recieve health care but for less. Well since both are buisness and about profit the prices have risen again to unaffordable prices. example. When I first went to the emergency room for a kidney stone I was given an IV drip and an x-ray cost about $500. 10 years later got another kidney stone was given same thing IV drip and x-ray but cost $8,000. There is something wrong with that. Bill Maher last friday pointed out it costs like $350 for the company to make a false hip replacment but as it goes through the system the buyer pays $35,000 how is that justified??

So Obama gets elected by the people, mainly because he promised to deliever us health care reform. You know to fix the problem and make it affordable for everyone. (Affordable Health Care) The most logical would be a single payer system not that complicated. Yet republicans fight over it due to there way of thinking that the government is bad. 'They take all my money with taxes and restrict me from making more money in buisness with there regulations ><. Who cares that majority of the country cannot afford health care. I'm unsimpathetic and selfish so F'em. I can pay for health care still so I don't care, its just those lazy poor who don't make enough money and use my taxes.' Backed by lobby for big buisness they chop up the bill and make it overly complicated (as they do with all buisness regulations to make it full of loop holes and to keep the people ignorant of how they are screwing us over.) As well as locking it in for insurance companies to remain in the buisness of health care. Obama compromised a lot just to get the bill passed.

Since its been passed the republicans have been trying every propaganda and scheme they can to confuse the people and destroy ACA. It really upsets me that people even listen to them anymore. They have been so manipulative and there intentions are not for the people it all comes off as insanity. Now they shut down the government and pointing the finger at Obama for not compromising. Yet people believe there BS. If they really cared about the people they would come up with a plan that would fix the original problem instead of just trying to destroy the law that has passed. Don't tell me it costs to much when its something we need. Isn't it the responsability of the government 'both parties' to figure this out and come up with how to pay for services we need?
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    ... I'm thinking you don't know how much government workers make. Also, a lot of people's savings are in 401ks/IRAs/other assets that are not liquid because they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming. That is, unless the government gets shut down, and who expected that?

Sorry but anyone who doesn't have a savings or any amount of money stashed away some where that is liquid, available and accessible because "they have a steady job and know there will be a paycheck coming" is rather daft. I had a steady job and a paycheck coming and yet I still had my 401(k) and a savings account because I don't believe in living paycheck-to-paycheck (which if you have nothing saved that's what you're doing) for one and two I didn't live in a fantasy bubble where I believed "it can't happen to me" because guess what? It CAN! (Thankfully it didn't and I quit my job to start my own business but believe me that savings came in very handy when my husband struck out on his own fifteen years ago).

And Romney expected the Government shutdown. I believe he said that if Obama was reelected that people should be prepared for a Government shutdown.

I respect you very much for having a plan, however I don't think it's fair to call those without savings daft. I had a liquid savings outside of my 401k, but that went quickly when my ex walked out on me. I was stay at home mom with no job. Luckily I was able to find a job within a month and I am not on welfare. However, becuase of circumstance I no longer have a savings. I don't have the mentality of "It's can't happen to me" becuase I do struggle every week, and I do try to put a little aside each pay check. Sometimes it lasts sometimes it doesn't. I have a plan in place for the future of my savings, but right now there are other bills my money is going towards. Does that make me daft? Not at all, it makes me appreciate having my job and it forces me to understand what is essintial to survive and what isn't.

You're also not in your 40s and have been working the same job for 20+ years.. I'd think with 20+ years of the same job under your belt you'd have some savings...

SAHM getting walked out on =/= working for 20+yr

You are correct. My point was more that sometimes it's circumstances that deplete savings. I know many people bring it on themselves. My sister for example is a military wife. Her husband has been in service for 18 years now. They have nothing saved they are always too broke to do anything, and yet when he deployed in June he told her to buy 3 new things....she bought a king sized bed for herslef, a new fridge becuase her ice maker was broken, and an Ipad. Yet when her daughter wanted to go to senior prom they couldn't afford the dress. That is daft!
    The poster who used that statement didn't specify 20 years. Others did, but the post I repsonded to did not. Again, I very much respect those who do have a savings becuase it gives me hope for my financial future.

No, He did say she'd been working there for 20 years. But some people are just stupid with money.. Hard to feel bad when they fall on hard times when you KNOW they should be fine.

I think the point everyone who's disagreeing with you is trying to make is that you don't KNOW anything (ANYTHING) about that lady. Except for the fact that she's been with the gov't for 20 years and can't make a mortgage payment.

Do you know the type of lifestyle she keeps? how many dependents she has? whether she has medical issues (or someone close to her does)?

This is a judgement you are making. At the very least, recognize that.

Ok, now 3 pages of this is all I can handle. Have a good day :flowerforyou:
  • msaannis
    msaannis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband is a civilian government worker (fireman on a military base). For us it isn't about whether we will get paid on time, it's the constant worry that's the issue. First we had a 20% cut in pay for 6 weeks over the summer with forced furloughs, now it's a government shutdown, and it looks like there may very well be RIF's (permanent layoffs) this next year if spending levels are kept at sequestration levels. I don't know what people think most govt workers get paid but I bet the reality is much different . When my husband was active duty he made a lot more a month than he does now. We'd like what everyone wants. Some stability in our life.

Has the government shutdown affected me? Absolutely! I'm worried, I don't sleep well, and when I'm anxious I eat. My bank account balance is the least of my concerns.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Actually it all started when big buisness Health companies started to get out of control and charge to much so people had a hard time being able to pay for health care. So insurance companies are created with the idea that you can make monthly payments that are low and afordable enough so a person can still recieve health care but for less. Well since both are buisness and about profit the prices have risen again to unaffordable prices. example. When I first went to the emergency room for a kidney stone I was given an IV drip and an x-ray cost about $500. 10 years later got another kidney stone was given same thing IV drip and x-ray but cost $8,000. There is something wrong with that. Bill Maher last friday pointed out it costs like $350 for the company to make a false hip replacment but as it goes through the system the buyer pays $35,000 how is that justified??

So Obama gets elected by the people, mainly because he promised to deliever us health care reform. You know to fix the problem and make it affordable for everyone. (Affordable Health Care) The most logical would be a single payer system not that complicated. Yet republicans fight over it due to there way of thinking that the government is bad. 'They take all my money with taxes and restrict me from making more money in buisness with there regulations ><. Who cares that majority of the country cannot afford health care. I'm unsimpathetic and selfish so F'em. I can pay for health care still so I don't care, its just those lazy poor who don't make enough money and use my taxes.' Backed by lobby for big buisness they chop up the bill and make it overly complicated (as they do with all buisness regulations to make it full of loop holes and to keep the people ignorant of how they are screwing us over.) As well as locking it in for insurance companies to remain in the buisness of health care. Obama compromised a lot just to get the bill passed.

Since its been passed the republicans have been trying every propaganda and scheme they can to confuse the people and destroy ACA. It really upsets me that people even listen to them anymore. They have been so manipulative and there intentions are not for the people it all comes off as insanity. Now they shut down the government and pointing the finger at Obama for not compromising. Yet people believe there BS. If they really cared about the people they would come up with a plan that would fix the original problem instead of just trying to destroy the law that has passed. Don't tell me it costs to much when its something we need. Isn't it the responsability of the government 'both parties' to figure this out and come up with how to pay for services we need?

Thank you! :drinker:
  • ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good grief. People living paycheck to paycheck may have honest to goodness reasons for doing so. Fresh out of school? elderly parents to take care of? Childcare expenses? Childcare expenses for children with disabilities? Etc. Someone may have legitimately just blown through their reserves for a perfectly good reason (like their car just died, or need a new roof). Who are you to judge them as daft?

To call people daft for living paycheck to paycheck is passing judgement on folks you don't even know. It'a short sighted and makes you a massive d-bag.

Amen to this!

Amen for the amen! , I live paycheck to paycheck, not by choice. I work at a Federal prison as a contract xray tech, but its not enough to cover most bills. I am also single parent to two boys. no support from the dad because its supposed to be "50/50''.

I struggle to put food in my fridge and cupboards, but I have found ways to manage. I get only the basic necessities I need for the week. Believe me, if I could have a savings account with actual money in it I would.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

I also know that last time USAA paid all the military members a few days late since the government didn't pay out. I also know that during these times, most lenders don't tack on fees for military.

This does not apply to us civilian gov't employees, though. We still have to pay fees in those situations. Thankfully, we have been lucky. Though we are a family of 5 with a single income we have a bit of savings and not lots of emergencies to bleed us dry.
  • BrandNewFabulousMe
    Options

Thank you! :drinker:

preach!
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So I honestly dont know how many of you live in the Washington DC/MD/VA area but unfortunately most people around here have to carry debt and are pretty much living paycheck to paycheck because of the cost of living in the area. In addition, most of us work for a government entity. Let me tell you, this crap is for the birds! I was lucky enough to get recalled on Monday, however, my husband is still at home with no return day in sight.
    Regardless of what political party you belong to, this is a clear indication that the U.S. government system is in need of a major overhaul. The "politicians" whom all have their own personal interests (companies/stocks/etc.) in mind only care about what they care about....not what you or I care about.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Not yet... but I'm sure it will eventually...My DH work in aerospace. But I have MANY friends that are working right now for the federal government (mostly the National Weather Service or some similar NOAA entity) with no paycheck coming in... Thankfully, they got paid on the 1st, but their next paycheck is only a few days away.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Good grief. People living paycheck to paycheck may have honest to goodness reasons for doing so. Fresh out of school? elderly parents to take care of? Childcare expenses? Childcare expenses for children with disabilities? Etc. Someone may have legitimately just blown through their reserves for a perfectly good reason (like their car just died, or need a new roof). Who are you to judge them as daft?

To call people daft for living paycheck to paycheck is passing judgement on folks you don't even know. It'a short sighted and makes you a massive d-bag.

Amen to this!

Amen for the amen! , I live paycheck to paycheck, not by choice. I work at a Federal prison as a contract xray tech, but its not enough to cover most bills. I am also single parent to two boys. no support from the dad because its supposed to be "50/50''.

I struggle to put food in my fridge and cupboards, but I have found ways to manage. I get only the basic necessities I need for the week. Believe me, if I could have a savings account with actual money in it I would.

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck unfortunately for a myraid of reasons. ETA: and it doesn't really matter if you are getting paid $20k or $120k, we are all still living this way.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    affected you or someone you know personally? My DW is a civilian government worker who got to go back to work this past Monday. We're fortunate that we don't have to dig into our savings to make it now, but there are lots of people I know who will be greatly affected till it gets resolved. One isn't going to be able to pay her mortgage after being with the government 20 years.
    Others I know have had to cancel sessions with me (I'll be fine because there are other members who want my services).

Opinions?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

YES. My case is small compared to people whose income is on the line. I live next to a national park and hiking/walking is my main exercise. I've walked out there anyway (civil disobedience) and didn't get stopped by the park police, but a friend who tried the same thing did get stopped and warned. The shutdown totally ticks me off -- the rangers are still at work, chasing people away. However, the town I live in depends on visitors who come to see the park, so this is hurting their income.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I'm sitting here on day 8 of the shutdown, with no end in sight. I work for the FAA. They have started recalling a few people but it is a slow process. Kind of funny since I am an Aviation Safety Inspector, yet we aren't considered essential. This is dragging on way to long for all of us involved. The people working aren't getting paid and neither are we. Even if we get back pay, we can't just keep going on without a check. Everyone's situation is different. I went through 2 furloughs during my career in commercial aviation and I never really recovered from those. I took this job 2 years ago but it was in Indianapolis (2 hours a way) so I lived up there all week and home on the weekends for almost 2 years because we couldn't sell our house. I have a wife that has been in school and not working, incurring a lot of financial aid that we are now paying on and she still isn't done ,but had to take a break. Everyone has there own reasons for not having a big savings.

It's like everything else in life, if it doesn't effect you, it isn't a big deal. But when it does ,it sucks!!
  • ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Amen to this!

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck unfortunately for a myraid of reasons. ETA: and it doesn't really matter if you are getting paid $20k or $120k, we are all still living this way.

Sad but true......
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My husband is a disabled Veteran receiving tuition assistance and a housing allowance to make up for the fact that he can't work and is in school full time. The VA can't guarantee anything (housing/grocery money, tuition, etc.) after the end of the month and we're already stretched thin on my income.

So yeah, we're feeling this.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm only through page one...

...but if that's any indication...

...I'm very 'in'...

...to read the rest of this thread later...

...but only if I have absolutely nothing else to do instead.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I'm only through page one...

...but if that's any indication...

...I'm very 'in'...

...to read the rest of this thread later...

...but only if I have absolutely nothing else to do instead.

I told you it was good
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a government worker - not in the military, not in DC so no one gives a crap about what we're going through. I'm a single mom and only have a small amount of money in savings - definitely not enough to cover all this time off. I still have to pay my bills, buy groceries, pay student loans, etc...

Would love to be spending my time off doing some home improvements, etc, but am afraid to spend the money because who knows when we'll get paid again!

Plus all the negativity people have is ridiculous. To hear I deserve to lose my job or whatever just because I'm a government worker. I'm not political, I'm not out ripping off the public or whatever you believe, I'm a honest worker making a living and trying to support my family.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    My daughter's tooth fell out, and she awoke to find the tooth fairy didn't leave her any money! I looked into it and discovered the tooth fairy works for the government. Sorry little girl.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    My husband is a disabled Veteran receiving tuition assistance and a housing allowance to make up for the fact that he can't work and is in school full time. The VA can't guarantee anything (housing/grocery money, tuition, etc.) after the end of the month and we're already stretched thin on my income.

So yeah, we're feeling this.
    I thought the VA was funded till the end of the year?
This discussion has been closed.