Replies

• amorrowmuffin
    Options
    Thanks
    I will pay more attention to this.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    yeah im not going to argue it LOL because like i said my cals are closer to 1100 a day. I dont eat a lot of CARBS because of how they make my stomach feel. I sit at a desk all day and the cardio i do is majority fast paced walking so everybody needs to calm down. I dont feel hungry or low on energy so i really dont think im starving myself.

Even at 1100 a day, your calories are too low. You asked what you are doing wrong, and we are telling you. Why bother asking for advice if you aren't going to take it? What were you hoping to hear?

There's some really great people here giving you good advice - and even doing your calculations for you. You might want to take them seriously.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My sister had extreme bloating like that and began under eating, because eating became painful to her. After having her gallbladder out and finding out she has celiac's disease, she can finally live a normal-ish life again. The bloating you're experiencing sounds like you should see a doctor.

I am 5'4 and 117 lbs and eat more than twice as much as you. You are definitely under-eating. I'd definitely rule out medical issues (allergies/intolerances) though.
  • medicchrita
    Options
    Hi there!

I suffer from IBS and only through my own food trials have I discovered what causes my bloat / gas. I am allergic to dairy and gluten, but with further investigation I have discovered the following foods also cause the same horrible gas / bloat:
    Broccoli
    Anything in the squash family (turnip / squash / pumpkin etc etc)
    Beans and legumes including peanuts
    Spicey
    Soy
    Cabbage
    Coffee

IBS is very misunderstood and can only truly be figured out by doing your own food trials :) Everyone with IBS has different trigger foods...
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough. Most of your day's are under 1000 caloreis. You should atleast be eating 1200. I'm 5'4 and eat 1200 a day.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I dont eat a lot because of the bloating and i really dont feel like im starving myself at all. I always have energy and I eat healthy.

Could you have an intolerance? That may explain bloating

You might not feel like you're starving yourself, but it will catch up to you. You aren't feeding your body, it isn't getting the nutrients and fuel it needs. No amount of healthy smoothies makes that okay. You aren't losing weight because you aren't eating enough. Does a car run efficiently on next to no petrol?

Find out your BMR, that is the ABSOLUTE minimum your body needs to function correctly (of course, it varies from person to person, but I can bet you any money that yours is more than 600-900 calories a day)

If you're absolutely adamant that you're eating enough (you aren't) and that your diet is healthy (it isn't, VLCDs aren't healthy) then there's nothing anyone on here can say. You asked why you aren't losing weight, we told you
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    yeah im not going to argue it LOL because like i said my cals are closer to 1100 a day. I dont eat a lot of CARBS because of how they make my stomach feel. I sit at a desk all day and the cardio i do is majority fast paced walking so everybody needs to calm down. I dont feel hungry or low on energy so i really dont think im starving myself.

Wow. All these people taking the time to give you help that you asked for, and it was astonishing to read how absolutely none of it got through, so I won't bother echoing what others have said. If you're impervious to information, I'm not sure what else can be done.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone suggesting that you eat more. 900-1100 calories a day is not nearly enough for an active person. Google a TDEE calculator and work out your TDEE, generally the best rule of thumb is a 20% defect from what your TDEE is. This probably means you'll be adding around 1000 calories a day. Remember your goal is to lose weight not to eat less.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Wow. All these people taking the time to give you help that you asked for, and it was astonishing to read how absolutely none of it got through, so I won't bother echoing what others have said. If you're impervious to information, I'm not sure what else can be done.

^agree
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

^^^ This^^^

/thread.
  • medicchrita
    Options
    I also noticed you consume foods that contain sucralose. Sucralose and such sweetners cause water retention and therefore some bloat...

Best of luck to you. I can definetely empathize with the frustraion of bloat!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I need help. I'm a 22 year old female im 5'9 and 167lbs. My weight fluctuates a ridiculous amount. I'm an active person and I eat extremely healthy and have done so for the majority of my life. I get in about 30 - 75 minutes of cardio a day on a regular week....not the type of person to sit down and watch TV after work. My diet consists of probiotics, protein and fiber mainly. I dont eat heavy startchy, sweets or overly salty foods and I only drink water, tea and coffee. The majority of my fat sits around my mid- section and it has become so frusturating. Last year I went through a really hard time and because of it I didnt feel like eating for a long period of time and that was the only time I ever toned up and lost weight. It shouldnt take not eating to lose weight/fat though. Also I tend to bloat to the point of being uncomfortable...one day my pants will fit and the next day they will be 2 sizes too small....

any input is appreciated :)

Thanks

You seriously don't know what you are doing wrong ? I can't believe that. Well, I can't find any fruit, vegetables, protein, but find plenty of cereal, processed foods and not enough calories. 600 calories a day is not enough, especially if 270 are from a Starbuck's coffee. You skip too many meals ( sometimes several a day ) and don't get enough calories. The few days you were around 1200 it was mostly from French Fries. Not a good diet.....at.all. And btw. pro-biotics might help with digestion but are worthless if they don't improve your general diet.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in laughing at people who are pointing out a very real, dangerous, and obvious situation. How does that help you?

Obviously, OP, you're looking for an answer that you're not getting. If you think what you're doing right now is right, then it should be working too. However, you're bloating 2 pants sizes??? Really?? I have the inclination to think you are either exaggerating, or you're just a plain idiot when it comes to your body.

Starvation rehabilitation starts at 1200 calories a day for ANYONE. It doesn't matter if you're skinny or fat, the medical community has generally concluded that if you are eating under 1200 calories, you're not at a sustainable level. Even gastric bypass patients are rarely recommended to eat under this amount, and they take loads of supplements to avoid malnutrition. The reason is, is that once you undercut this amount, you're risking a plethora of problems, and will ultimately guarantee that when you do eventually breakdown and start eating "normally" you will gain a ridiculous amount of weight. This is supported by facts, studies, as well as my own personal anecdotal experience.

If you want to know what it's like to gain over 150 pounds in a year, keep doing what you're doing. When you start trying to refeed, if you don't do it right, you will balloon because you'll have shut down your body's energy centers.

Oh, and FYI, you're supposed to have fat around your hips and belly when you're a woman.

Stop complaining and arguing. If you really want help, take the advice and work with it. If, on the other hand, you don't actually want help, which seems to be the case... Here are some ridiculous diet tips:

Drink water instead of eating whenever you feel hungry. If you still feel hungry, eat ice.
    Cardio doesn't really count unless you hurt after you're done, and you should be as close to 0 net calories as possible
    If you don't feel like you're losing fast enough, take water pills and laxatives to counteract what diet isn't doing alone

FYI... Those tips are established bulimia behaviors.

Get some help already.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When you eat less than what your body requires, your digestion slows down, and you feel as if you are bloating.
    http://eating-disorders.org.uk/information/the-effects-of-under-eating/
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

^agree

Definitely this. I already advised you to listen to the advice given here.

Plus, you may not feel hungry, but that doesn't mean you aren't. Your body had simply adapted to a lower intake. That doesn't mean you should stay there. And again, consult a doctor.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I also have to say you are not eating enough. you said previously that you don't eat a lot because of the bloating, yet you eat when you're hungry. You're not going to lose weight unless you start eating more. I'm not saying you need to eat the full 1920 that somebody calculated if you don't want to, but at least up it to 1600. The average woman needs 1600-1800 calories a day. 1200 is the lowest that can be done without doctor supervision, and anytime you eat less than that should be monitored by a health professional (and most times the reasons why people eat less than 1200 a day under doctor's supervision is due to health reasons). I agree with a PP that said you asked for advice so we're giving you advice. However, that doesn't mean you need to take the advice. I will say though, since you are considered at a healthy weight, you are going to have a lot of problems losing more if you don't convince your body that you are going to feed it. you won't get a flat stomach because your body will continue storing fat in preparation for days where you eat less than what it needs.
  • WinnItFit
    Options
    You are eating to little. 1200 Calories a day is the recommended healthy minimum to prevent starvation mode.

Your argument: I have energy and feel good. Answer: When in starvation mode, your body does two things, 1.) Lowers your metabolism in an effort to burn less. 2.) Your body holds on to much more when you do in fact consume food. The human body is an amazing mechanism and self tweaks when needed. Your body has adapted to your super low calorie dieting so you feel good, but it does negative stuff in return.

Your argument of Bloating: Well, have you ever seen the starving kids in Africa that have the hugely bloated bellies. I do not know the science BUT you see plenty of evidence that that happens when you do not eat enough.

Low carbs, over long term, actually does more damage than good. Carbs spike insulin levels, which help in the growth of muscle. Insulin does make fat loss harder at the time, but with muscle growth preserved, your metabolism is higher. Carbs are good.

This is a great article about Fat Loss. It is geared more towards Men (talks about testosterone levels) but still have a bunch of great information. Check it out.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/fat-loss
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

FYI... Those tips are established bulimia behaviors.

Get some help already.

While I agree for her to seek a professional.....It is not a grand idea to post bulimia behaviors, especially in a thread where someone is not nourishing their body and appears to be struggling with food.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

But looking a second time at your food diary, you eat more carbs than anything else ! Admitted, your carbs are in the middle to low range ( because you generally eat very little ) but everything else is even lower. So, yes, you actually live of carbs . I looked again to make sure and can't find all the good foods you mention, except the very occasional chicken. Please be honest with yourself, log correctly, because otherwise you are just wasting your effort and everyone elses time.
    Good Luck !
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options
    I'm not disagreeing and i am very appreciative of the advice given but some people were making it seem like im purposely trying to starve myself....which im NOT that is ridiculous. If I was trying to starve myself i wouldnt be on here asking for help.