Gain a pound or so from eating a small amount of chocolate?

Options
Ok so what I mean is, I stay within my calories and have lost 62 lbs in the last 7 months. I made some major changes to my diet. For one, I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies, and its been working great. This past week I have had a small piece of a chocolate bar, went to the movies and had 5 mini reese's piece bites, and had another small piece of a chocolate bar the other day. Very small amounts here. I normally don't eat chocolate at all, and when I had these they were all in my calorie intake, I did not go over. So why does it feel like I am a pound heavier?

The scale also shows a pound heavier. I know this isn't all in my head before any of you say this. I know exactly when my body gains "anything" by the way I feel. I don't know how but I can just tell. I'm sure there are many of you like this as well.

They say its not what you eat but how much you eat of it. Anyone else have this not apply to them? It's safe to say that now I will not be having little bites of anything unless it's on cheat day.

Replies

• kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain a pound from eating a few bites of chocolate.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I knew someone would say that. And of course we can speculate many variables. But doesn't it make sense? Since I cut out sugar completely. Shocking the system maybe? I don't know. That's why I posted here.
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No. You absolutely did not gain weight from a few bites of chocolate, it literally makes no sense on any level.

Its probably water weight or normal body fluctuations. I started today at 144 and now I weigh 148. tomorrow I'll probably be around 148 in the morning because today was lift day and I'm always up after lift day. That's just the nature of the human body.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Eat little bites of whatever you like. Just log the calories and stick to your goal.

You would not have gained a pound from eating the chocolate unless perhaps you ate around 3,500 cals over your maintenance calories.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    Alrighty guys. Thanks. I know that I retain water near ovulation, and I am not ovulating yet, so its probably something else. :P
  • Achrya
    Options
    Alrighty guys. Thanks. I know that I retain water near ovulation, and I am not ovulating yet, so its probably something else. :P

Yes, it is far more likely your body goes against the most basic rules of life/existance and is able to create a pound of weight out of thin air. Think about what you're saying, please. Matter doesn't just appear, it has to come from somewhere. A couple hundred calories of chocolate simply isn't enough to create a pound in your body, it just doesn't make logical sense.

Increased sodium, water retention from working out, food sitting in your stomach...all reasons you'll be up on the scale.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :noway: blasphemy
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I know about weight gain from water retention- sodium ,menstrual cycles, stress, and exercise. I haven't done anything mentioned above to disrupt the flow. Silly idea. I get it. lol
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    It's physically impossible to gain a pound if the item you ate didn't weigh at least a pound. Matter can't be created from nothing. So unless you ate this much chocolate (and it's still sitting in your stomach meaning you haven't metabolized or excreted any of it yet)...

P12313910.jpg

...then you didn't gain a pound from chocolate.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    It's physically impossible to gain a pound if the item you ate didn't weigh at least a pound. Matter can't be created from nothing. So unless you ate this much chocolate (and it's still sitting in your stomach meaning you haven't metabolized or excreted any of it yet)...

P12313910.jpg

...then you didn't gain a pound from chocolate.

I drink tons of water, what about not drinking that same amount for a couple of days? Or same with greens? 2 days out of this week I only had 2 servings instead of 3-4. Just trying to figure it out. I know eating lots of greens or veggies helps with flushing excess things out of your body which aids in weight loss correct? Or am I just asking another silly question?
  • Achrya
    Options
    I know about water retention from sodium ,menstrual cycles, stress, exercise. I haven't done anything mentioned above to disrupt the flow. Silly idea. I get it. lol

Gaining a pound from a few hundred calories of any food isn't just strange*, btw , it's impossible. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. but I don't like the casual dismissal of science/logic. Different people are different, so maybe 3500 calories isn't a exactly a pound for you and maybe your metabolism is a bit slow/fast compared to the next person, but we aren't so different that we randomly create matter out of no where.

There are many logical conclusions to come to (You ate more than you thought, burned less than you thought, water retention, food still being in your digestive track, etc) but the chocolate spontaneously making you gain weight isn't one of them.

*Per your comment befor your edit
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Clear bowel?
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I know about water retention from sodium ,menstrual cycles, stress, exercise. I haven't done anything mentioned above to disrupt the flow. Silly idea. I get it. lol

Gaining a pound from a few hundred calories of any food isn't just strange*, btw , it's impossible. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. but I don't like the casual dismissal of science/logic. Different people are different, so maybe 3500 calories isn't a exactly a pound for you and maybe your metabolism is a bit slow/fast compared to the next person, but we aren't so different that we randomly create matter out of no where.

There are many logical conclusions to come to (You ate more than you thought, burned less than you thought, water retention, food still being in your digestive track, etc) but the chocolate spontaneously making you gain weight isn't one of them.

Sorry just used to some people being rude on this forum. :/ I hear what you are saying. It makes sense. I asked the above poster this, but what about eating one serving less of my veggies for the past 2 days or even day? I usually have about 3-4 servings of veggies a day. That's if we were to rule out any of the above you mentioned.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    Clear bowel?

Yah.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies

Wut? :frown:
  • Achrya
    Options

Sorry just used to some people being rude on this forum. :/ I hear what you are saying. It makes sense. I asked the above poster this, but what about eating one serving less of my veggies for the past 2 days or even day? I usually have about 3-4 servings of veggies a day.

/shrug

No idea. Personally I wouldn't be concerned one way or the other; one pound up on the scale isn't something worthy of note in my opinion. If you're up 3-5 pounds for more than a week or two then become alarmed/wonder about what's going wrong. A pound however could be anything.

Except of course a few hundred calories of chocolate causing an actual gain in fat. Because that's impossible.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I made it a personal choice to cut out sugar- mainly because it is toxic to our bodies

It's true. It doesn't make you gain weight per say, unless you eat way over your calories. But specifically speaking of high fructose corn syrup and refined sugars are not good for our blood vessels. It's not the healthiest thing you can eat.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It's true. It doesn't make you gain weight per say, unless you eat way over your calories. But specifically speaking of high fructose corn syrup and refined sugars are not good for our blood vessels. It's not the healthiest thing you can eat.

In...

...for more blood vessel health tips.