Gain a pound or so from eating a small amount of chocolate?

Options

Replies

• _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Modified sugar is toxic, carbohydrates that turn into sugar..not so much.

....and the pesticides sprayed on your greens or artificial food coloring in your dressing is not?

If I dissected a gain of a simple pound every time it's happened, I'd probably have pulled out all my hair. Stop stressing before you make it more than a pound. :flowerforyou:
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you were restricting sugars and then splurged a wee bit on some sugar, you triggered an insulin response. The body says "woowee, we got glucose down here!" and the pancreas says "alrighty then, I'll pump out some quick insulin to convert that to energy!"

A side feature of a large insulin response is excessive water retention. I wouldn't get too upset over it, but it's good to understand how it works, so you can expect it. I personally never bloated from sodium, but let me eat sugar, drink a beer(carb) or steal a slice of pizza(bigger carb)...and I'm pufferfish the next day.

As a side-note to that, I'm borderline diabetic and insulin resistant.

Exactly what I was trying to say. But most people in here don't get it. Must have some academics on MFP.
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know most people here are saying it's not possible, but it happens to me too so I believe you.

Although it is not an actual weight GAIN (more like a fluctuation), in my case I have come to learn that because I am insulin resistant, my body reacts different to good and bad foods. When I eat something such as chocolate, my body holds onto my fat stores and I weigh heavier.

I can remember going to see my doctor before finding out about the insulin resistance and saying "but I just have to LOOK at a chocolate bar and I gain 2kg". While this might be an exaggeration lol, that is exactly how my body reacts to chocolate and high sugar, unhealthy foods.

I'm sure that if you go back to your usual diet, the pound you gained will disappear as quick as it came.

Sigh

You can sigh as much as you like, but I think I'll take my expert medical advice over other "explanations" in this thread.

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you were restricting sugars and then splurged a wee bit on some sugar, you triggered an insulin response. The body says "woowee, we got glucose down here!" and the pancreas says "alrighty then, I'll pump out some quick insulin to convert that to energy!"

A side feature of a large insulin response is excessive water retention. I wouldn't get too upset over it, but it's good to understand how it works, so you can expect it. I personally never bloated from sodium, but let me eat sugar, drink a beer(carb) or steal a slice of pizza(bigger carb)...and I'm pufferfish the next day.

As a side-note to that, I'm borderline diabetic and insulin resistant.

Exactly what I was trying to say. But most people in here don't get it. Must have some academics on MFP.

What? Everyone is saying "It's just a fluctuation not actual weight gain."
  • Achrya
    Options
    I know most people here are saying it's not possible, but it happens to me too so I believe you.

Although it is not an actual weight GAIN (more like a fluctuation), in my case I have come to learn that because I am insulin resistant, my body reacts different to good and bad foods. When I eat something such as chocolate, my body holds onto my fat stores and I weigh heavier.

I can remember going to see my doctor before finding out about the insulin resistance and saying "but I just have to LOOK at a chocolate bar and I gain 2kg". While this might be an exaggeration lol, that is exactly how my body reacts to chocolate and high sugar, unhealthy foods.

I'm sure that if you go back to your usual diet, the pound you gained will disappear as quick as it came.

Sigh

You can sigh as much as you like, but I think I'll take my expert medical advice over other "explanations" in this thread.

Thanks for your permission to continue to facepalm at what you wrote. I now feel way better about it.

Thanks.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options

No. It isn't.
  • Krissypantz
    Options

Sigh

That's why I try not to listen to half the stuff on here. I thought I would get some good advice .. and some of them did post useful information. But to say sugar is not toxic like high fructose cron syrup is calling almost every doctor a liar. Yah Im gonna believe you guys over the doctors :0
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Toxic? That's a pretty serious claim.

Sounds like someone drank the kool aid from somewhere.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Sigh

That's why I try not to listen to half the stuff on here. I thought I would get some good advice .. and some of them did post useful information. But to say sugar is not toxic like high fructose cron syrup is calling almost every doctor a liar. Yah Im gonna believe you guys over the doctors :0

Toxic? At what dose?

I suspect that a lot of people don't understand what the word "toxic" really means.
  • Achrya
    Options

Sigh

Moving past stage facepalm to stage headdesk
  • Krissypantz
    Options

Sigh

Toxic? At what dose?

I suspect that a lot of people don't understand what the word "toxic" really means.

Its not good for the blood vessels. It produces inflammation. Ask your doctor.
  • Achrya
    Options

Sigh

Toxic? At what dose?

I don't think that's what toxic means.
  • Krissypantz
    Options

Sigh

Toxic? At what dose?

It very well can be toxic if you eat too much, so why not just cut it out? I get my required sugars from fruit and other things. I think its a choice we should all make. And if not then just limit it greatly.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgfw4ptatU1qap92lo8_250.gif

OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Sigh

Toxic? At what dose?

Waste my doctor's time with that question? No thanks. Besides, which doctor, specifically? Most doctors aren't exactly what I would call knowledgeable about nutritional nuances like this...

...and it's definitely a nuance if it's legit at all, because otherwise, we'd have an epidemic of blood vessel related problems...and while we may have a health problem, it isn't exactly what one would call "blood vessel related".

Also, a lot of things produce inflammation. (For example, my workout earlier tonight produced a lot of it.) That doesn't make them "toxic".
  • Achrya
    Options

Sigh

Toxic? At what dose?

It very well can be toxic if you eat too much, so why not just cut it out? I get my required sugars from fruit and other things. I think its a choice we should all make. And if not then just limit it greatly.

Water is toxic if you take in too much. Are you cutting out water?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Sigh

Toxic? At what dose?

^^ LMFAO!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Sigh

Toxic? At what dose?

Don't forget about oxygen toxicity! You'll want to cut down on that breathing there for sure.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Sigh

I'm not trying to jump you here but.... do you REALLY believe everything your Doc says? I mean, I don't. I take what he says as well as what other say with a grain of salt, research it, and then still wonder at a lot. I mean, it wasn't long ago that eggs were bad and PB and there was this crap called margarine we were suppose to eat. And then we were told to give up meats and all this garbage and NOW we are being told that margarine is BAD and animal meats are actually GOOD and eat those eggs and PB! The truth is, it's all about moderation and finding what works. If you are fine giving up sugar and that's what you want, more power to you. But there is really no reason to label sugar as bad. Unless you're that bird in that chocolate fountain. lol
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I am interested in hearing all your thoughts about greedy fat cells and energy efficient ones. It's possible I have greedy fat cells which is why sugar/carbs effect me differently. Just thought I would throw that out there.