I don't go to gym's...

Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my big box gym. It has a Sauna, Pool, & Hot Tub. All my favorite post lifting activities. I have a curl bar and some free weights at home if bored but I like going there seeing someone throw up 10 reps of 225 and use that to fuel myself to be stronger. I'm the type of people that see someone lifting heavy that I know I need to get that point. By myself at home I'd just get bored to be honest.

I just won't do it. I have all the capacity to get it done- I know how to beat my own *kitten* at the park- or just with a timer. one way or the other- it's great.

but I won't do it. too much hair on the floor- cats under foot- nasty roommate being in the way- dishes to do- TV to watch- forum's to troll- whatever- I just won't. I know it- and I accept it.

My BIGGEST draw- aerobics room. I cannot RENT a dance studio for less than 25$/hour. I pay 35$/month (well now it's free I work there LOL) and I have pool- sauna hot tub and more importantly- floor to ceiling mirrors from 9 PM - 11 PM Monday- Thursday and 8-10 Friday- and then like NOON to 7 Saturday/Sunday.

Seriously- I can train/dance as much as I want as long as there are no classes there. it's not even a question of why it works for me. I take my dance training seriously- so I have to have the space and that's all there is to it!!! :D
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in a gym for 13 years. I don't like that everybody wants to be better than the other. I don't like the guys who do a lot of weight but the workout wrong and too fast. I don't like the people taking forever at a machine. ....

I've never seen the gym as a competition. Personally, the rare times I work out in the gym I don't even notice anyone around me, nor could give a crap what people think. My personal preference is to workout at home anyway, as I have a nice setup. I've admittedly been spoiled by this and would honestly probably not be in the shape I'm in if I had to deal with driving to a gym & deal ing with the annoyances (which there are) to just get a workout.

can't say i don't take notice of the amount of weight other guys are lifting in lifts that i give a **** about like bench. its not really something that adds to or takes away from the experience for me, but i cant help but compair the weight they lift to what i do mentally
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I live in a 3rd floor condo. There isn't a lot of stuff I can do at home without disturbing the family below me, and I'm not outdoorsy in that there is nature out there waiting to poop on you from above or terrorize you from below with their beady eyes and furry tails *shudder*. So I go to the gym. It's no frills. $20 a month.I don't generally care what other people do at the gym. I will say I still don't like getting ready in the locker room, but I've determined that no one else likes flashing their boobies to the other broads in the locker room, either.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    In my early 20's, AFTER i had lost 89 lbs I joined one & started going my 5 days x 2 hours (2 classes)
    I was too self concious about my size before I lost weight to join one. I had exercised in my room and did aerobics in there for a year straight every single day. I didn't want anyone to see how overweight I was..... So when I started going there, I wondered why.. Ladies of ALL sizes went there....

Later in life, I thought it would be more ecomonical to just buy my own elliptical machine.. And that was great and everything. Besides, it was more the GERMS at the gym I didn't want to be exposed to.. Besides, I can be in my own living room, wearing whatever I want. Have dinner in the oven while working out... Jada Jada.....

So now I've gotten tired of asking my husband to pleeeease take apart my machine and adjust the belt multiple times per year...

I was a guest of my mothers earlier in the year at her gym. I tried one of their machines... OMG! much, much, much nicer than mine at home. No sqeeks....smoooooth... So I checked out this new gym thats 5 mins from my work.. Went in there once, and I knew.. I knew this place is for me. Their machines are current state of the art.... And I say, "I'm offically not afraid of any germs that may be in there." Just sanitize your hands" I've always wanted to take a Zumba class... They have them there!! No extra charge!!

They also have a Hydratherapy bed to use after workouts... No extra charge.. A tanning bed.. No extra charge. Its that Hydra bed that caught my attention as well... Did someone say a free back massage???? Yeah!

My opinions, likes, & dislikes have changed over the years.. Maybe yours will too?? Maybe some of those weight lifter men you speak of are nice??? Maybe they would be a little inspiring and motivating, if you ever changed your mind?
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have the gym at home. I don't go to gyms
  • TagEHeuer
    Options
    I hate going to a public gym too, lucky for me my father have a private gym on the side of his house. So I work out in peace and without worrying about others.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. I work out at home, going on a game called just dance 2014 on the wii, or doing blogilates or some other workout on youtube. I've done Jillian michael's 30 day shred at home before too. The gym is a waste of money really when you can get fit at home so good on you for not going to the gym.
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in a gym for 13 years. I don't like that everybody wants to be better than the other. I don't like the guys who do a lot of weight but the workout wrong and too fast. I don't like the people taking forever at a machine. ....

I have a punching bag at home. Situps, pushups and a lot more you can do at home as well. I run at least 100 flights of stairs a day. I go for a run or a brisk walk with my dog .... I don't go to gym's

I am wondering if I am the only one not hitting the gym.

In one period of my life I was regulary in the gym. But without much results and with a lot of annoyances.

After discovering that bodyweight exercise are extremely effective, there is literally no chance for me to go to the gym again. Ever. :) (except if I have some injury and need to use some gym machine for rehabilitation purposes)

If you run 100 flight of stairs a day then you don't have any problems with your stamina :)

Btw, burpees rule! My favourite exercise. :)
    My short term goal is to make 100 full burpees (with pushup) in less than 10 minutes. Current result is 74. Few weeks ago it was less than 50.
    And I seriously doubt that any gym exercise can tire you and work all of your body muscles so effectively as 15-20 minutes of simple burpees.
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    To each their own guys, gyms are definitely useful, but you can accomplish things outside too, I've done both depending on circumstance, as far as for the other members stuff, put your hat low on your eyes headphones up and handle your business, treat others with respect and decency, the way you want to be treated and learn form those who are where you want to be.

Just my humble opinion