Daughter could use some advice

Options
13»

Replies

• Cowart69
    Cowart69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My thought is your daughter, 18 years old, is capable of taking care of this site on her own, if she chooses to. You are the data nerd (your word) and that is fine; your daughter may not be. This is a personal choice, even at 18 and she needs to step out of your shadow mom and keep her own diary and profile updated.

I dont take offense to data nerd...that is what I am.....:)

I am quite sure I am not the only one who helps their kids out with stuff like this......and since I am keeping a profile for myself and tracking my own stuff its no big deal.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Help me to understand......

So According to the my fitness pal 1345 is the amount of calories that you have to meet....like the absolute minimum (by the way...I really try to point this out.....no starving.....she HAS to make that minimum amount no matter what or thats when "starvation mode" happens?

but

Then you have to take into account all the exercise......now when I put that all into the daily journal it comes out to anywhere from 350-500 calories a day from the cardio (now...for some reason the site seems to have a hard time calculating weight lifting....I spent some time on this but lots of not being able to find the machine or lifts.....it comes out to weigh less then the cardio in the end

so

It is my understanding that if its 1375 for "maintenance" then you need to add the 350-500 calories burned and so now you are at 1700-1800 calories......and from THAT you create a calorie deficit...meaning on that given day if you eat 1400 calories you have created a 300-400 calorie deficit......which should add up to roughly 2 pounds a week.

Am I wrong on that?
    There is no way she, at her age, is at 1375 or 1345 or whatever for "maintenance," that will make a flat out loss. Also with as small a goal to lose she should not aim for 2 pounds a week in any way. If she is working out she needs to eat back her calories.

I agree with others that your 18 year old needs to come investigate this stuff herself too, if I were 18 and my parent were nosing about on the internet and came and said "You need to change your life, eat more/eat less/follow this diet/follow this weights program" I would be beyond p*ssed.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

My DD set goals....I think she did it because when she was 16 and weighing 108-110 she looked fantastic (I think she still does) she is a teenage entertainer and so this was important to her. I tried to explain to her that she is growing into a young lady now and changes happen.......but when people get a certain thing set in their mind its hard to deter them......so my next thought was "ok if your going to do that then I want you to do it healthy" I was worried about bulimia or whatever teenage girls do when they start thinking they are fat. Now...myself I was overweight....and I am a diabetic....so I saw a good opportunity to lose some weight and get in better shape myself AND spend some time with my daughter (which we dads seem to get less and less of when they get older)

And that is kinda where we are at

An 18 year old is not going to be able to stay as small as she did at 14 or 16 simply because the female body needs more fat to keep hormones and the reproductive systems healthy. She is within a healthy range for her age and anything lower would most likely be very unhealthy. If she is determined to be smaller, she needs to build muscle and eat WAY more than she is! I echo everyone else saying this!!

I am listening to what you are saying here......I am trying to figure out the correct calories. The other question I have is sodium....this site tracks sodium how big a deal is it when that number goes over?

Start here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This will give her a calculation for the minimum healthy calories as well as what she would need to eat to maintain. This would be a good place to start.

This is a good heavy lifting program to start with also, very easy and very effective from what I understand: http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Then you have to take into account all the exercise......now when I put that all into the daily journal it comes out to anywhere from 350-500 calories a day from the cardio (now...for some reason the site seems to have a hard time calculating weight lifting....I spent some time on this but lots of not being able to find the machine or lifts.....it comes out to weigh less then the cardio in the end

Look under 'strength training' for lifting input from MFP database.
  • Cowart69
    Options
    Help me to understand......

So According to the my fitness pal 1345 is the amount of calories that you have to meet....like the absolute minimum (by the way...I really try to point this out.....no starving.....she HAS to make that minimum amount no matter what or thats when "starvation mode" happens?

but

so

It is my understanding that if its 1375 for "maintenance" then you need to add the 350-500 calories burned and so now you are at 1700-1800 calories......and from THAT you create a calorie deficit...meaning on that given day if you eat 1400 calories you have created a 300-400 calorie deficit......which should add up to roughly 2 pounds a week.

Am I wrong on that?
    There is no way she, at her age, is at 1375 or 1345 or whatever for "maintenance," that will make a flat out loss. Also with as small a goal to lose she should not aim for 2 pounds a week in any way. If she is working out she needs to eat back her calories.

I agree with others that your 18 year old needs to come investigate this stuff herself too, if I were 18 and my parent were nosing about on the internet and came and said "You need to change your life, eat more/eat less/follow this diet/follow this weights program" I would be beyond p*ssed.

There are a lot of people here that are making personal judgements that have no idea what is going on or in what context we are using this stuff.

I can either offer suggestions (that are being asked for) or wonder if she is doing it in a unhealthy way.

Im not going to comment on that any further
  • Cowart69
    Options

Look under 'strength training' for lifting input from MFP database.

Thanks....that is what I need
  • Cowart69
    Options

My DD set goals....I think she did it because when she was 16 and weighing 108-110 she looked fantastic (I think she still does) she is a teenage entertainer and so this was important to her. I tried to explain to her that she is growing into a young lady now and changes happen.......but when people get a certain thing set in their mind its hard to deter them......so my next thought was "ok if your going to do that then I want you to do it healthy" I was worried about bulimia or whatever teenage girls do when they start thinking they are fat. Now...myself I was overweight....and I am a diabetic....so I saw a good opportunity to lose some weight and get in better shape myself AND spend some time with my daughter (which we dads seem to get less and less of when they get older)

And that is kinda where we are at

An 18 year old is not going to be able to stay as small as she did at 14 or 16 simply because the female body needs more fat to keep hormones and the reproductive systems healthy. She is within a healthy range for her age and anything lower would most likely be very unhealthy. If she is determined to be smaller, she needs to build muscle and eat WAY more than she is! I echo everyone else saying this!!

I am listening to what you are saying here......I am trying to figure out the correct calories. The other question I have is sodium....this site tracks sodium how big a deal is it when that number goes over?

Start here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This will give her a calculation for the minimum healthy calories as well as what she would need to eat to maintain. This would be a good place to start.

This is a good heavy lifting program to start with also, very easy and very effective from what I understand: http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

Thank you very much
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    derp
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I misread what you posted, I apologize.

She's still netting pretty close to 1200 which is the minimum.

MFP calculates a deficit immediately when you set your settings up. The goal calories they give you is the goal you should shoot for. Any exercise should be added on top of that. So, if her suggested weightloss amount is ~1400, and she exercises to burn 500 more, she needs to eat 1900 calories in order to be "good" for that day. You shouldn't calculate another deficit on top of the deficit. However, she shouldn't be calculating one bigger than a .5 pound loss a week, I would think, if even that.
  • Cowart69
    Options
    I misread what you posted, I apologize.

She's still netting pretty close to 1200 which is the minimum.

MFP calculates a deficit immediately when you set your settings up. The goal calories they give you is the goal you should shoot for. Any exercise should be added on top of that. So, if her suggested weightloss amount is ~1400, and she exercises to burn 500 more, she needs to eat 1900 calories in order to be "good" for that day. You shouldn't calculate another deficit on top of the deficit. However, she shouldn't be calculating one bigger than a .5 pound loss a week, I would think, if even that.

Thank you very much....I will go back in and redo the calculation. I didnt realize it already set up for a deficit.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    She doesn't need to lose? She's tall and that is a good weight? I'd focus on strength training actually. I would not recommend her losing any more weight... 108 would probably make her look sickly.
  • Cowart69
    Options
    She doesn't need to lose? She's tall and that is a good weight? I'd focus on strength training actually. I would not recommend her losing any more weight... 108 would probably make her look sickly.

She is 5'2" which is pretty short....:)

Anyways thank you very much everyone for the replys...there were a lot of really helpful ones here.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    AqxnMbF.jpg