why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The baby boomers were in their twenties. Now they are geriatrics.
  • asuka_langley
    asuka_langley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that was just the look at the time. Rock stars made it the "cool" or sought after look. Mick Jagger was small AF. The "heroin chic" look was considered sexy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So how did this one get revived? Weird.

My own take, but individual like everyone else's, is that people ate less often and smaller portions, on average. Restaurant meals were less frequent, more meals were home cooked (although often using processed food/ingredients -- I think the idea that there was no processed food in the '70s is bizarre, the last time I had a Twinkie may have been 1980, heh). A ton more options exist for getting food delivered (and a huge range of foods) now, too.

Also, I think people on average were more active back then just in daily life.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    1. No Internet.
    2. No video games.
    3. Home cooked meals (from scratch)
    4. Kids played outside after school.
    5. Parents didn't drive kids everywhere, we rode our bikes or walked.

You hit it right on Brian, Especially 2 and 4. When we were kids in the 70's, we were always outside playing sports, hide and go seek, or kick the can and just always found something to do. Also like you said we rode our bikes everywhere and never sat at home and said "we're bored and there's nothing to do". Now it's all about iphone's and video games and kids don't know what to do with themselves without some electronic device in front of them and are lazy. A few years ago my daughter's teacher did an experiment and asked all of her students to go home and have no electronic devices for one week. She did it and said it was great. She played board games, read more, rode her bike more, and did a lot of drawing. More teachers or parents should do that with their kids to see what it was like when we were kids.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    la8ydi wrote: »
    It's really funny to read everyone's different perspectives of the 70s - even the differences of the people who grew up during them! I was a child of the 70s - we had 3 tv stations - and watched cartoons on Saturday mornings. If the sun was out, we were outside. I don't remember my mom driving me anywhere - I walked or rode my bike. As far as the poster who said that EVERYONE was smoking...must be a difference in parts of the country, because I didn't know ANY kids who smoked. We ate a lot of homemade stuff, but we also ate frozen pizza and tv dinners and stuff - so I think it really boils down to activity level. No cable. No internet. No video games. No computers. No cell phones. Get outside and DO something.

This is funny! We were watching Mad Men this weekend and my husband commented about everyone smoking like freight trains. He said, "Yeah I remember that is what it was like back then." I said, "I don't remember that. No one smoked where I grew up. If they did, they were considered "wild"." He grew up in GA and I grew up in KS.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ehseeker wrote: »
    Less chemicals in the food itself and less processed food overall. Less cheap 'fast' food that is nothing but junk your body doesn't need.

I really don't think there were fewer "chemicals" in the food, and I don't see how that would make a difference -- it's how much you eat that is the issue.

Also, the '70s had a ton of processed foods (they often weren't as good or as varied as what's available today, and many of those available today are healthier, but variety and taste means they are probably even more commonly eaten). I recall fast food places being every bit as available, but CULTURALLY my family considered it an occasional treat so we didn't get it much. I think families today could take the same approach and of course some do.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    It's really funny to read everyone's different perspectives of the 70s - even the differences of the people who grew up during them! I was a child of the 70s - we had 3 tv stations - and watched cartoons on Saturday mornings. If the sun was out, we were outside. I don't remember my mom driving me anywhere - I walked or rode my bike. As far as the poster who said that EVERYONE was smoking...must be a difference in parts of the country, because I didn't know ANY kids who smoked. We ate a lot of homemade stuff, but we also ate frozen pizza and tv dinners and stuff - so I think it really boils down to activity level. No cable. No internet. No video games. No computers. No cell phones. Get outside and DO something.

This is funny! We were watching Mad Men this weekend and my husband commented about everyone smoking like freight trains. He said, "Yeah I remember that is what it was like back then." I said, "I don't remember that. No one smoked where I grew up. If they did, they were considered "wild"." He grew up in GA and I grew up in KS.

I didn’t know any kids who smoked, I was a kid then. But almost every adult I knew smoked and as I recall it wasn’t until the late70’s that restaurants even had a no smoking section!

I lived in an urban environment- no body I knew had a garden, most everyone had a tv but there were only a handful of channels ( no cable) and only one rich kid I knew even owned a vcr. Most of my friends had abut 1/2 prepackaged meals (Mac and cheese, hamburger helper) and 1/2 scratch meals at home. Veggies (except iceberg lettuce and tomatoes and onions/celery/carrots) were usually the canned variety. Big Mac was introduced in the 70’s if I recall correctly - the regular hamburger was considered a normal size. French fries (regular size) were about 1/2 a current small and came in a paper not cardboard sleeve.

So, my experience was much less processed foods, and eating out portions were much smaller. People smoked. There wasn’t much on TV so one probably watched a few hours a week of stuff they loved (+ live sports if they were sports people). I’m guessing the sum was that people I knew ate more healthy foods (but less variety), smaller portions, sat in front of a screen less, and probably smoked. Sounds like a recipe for thinner.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Leeg5656 wrote: »

I didn’t know any kids who smoked, I was a kid then. But almost every adult I knew smoked and as I recall it wasn’t until the late70’s that restaurants even had a no smoking section!

I lived in an urban environment- no body I knew had a garden, most everyone had a tv but there were only a handful of channels ( no cable) and only one rich kid I knew even owned a vcr. Most of my friends had abut 1/2 prepackaged meals (Mac and cheese, hamburger helper) and 1/2 scratch meals at home. Veggies (except iceberg lettuce and tomatoes and onions/celery/carrots) were usually the canned variety. Big Mac was introduced in the 70’s if I recall correctly - the regular hamburger was considered a normal size. French fries (regular size) were about 1/2 a current small and came in a paper not cardboard sleeve.

So, my experience was much less processed foods, and eating out portions were much smaller.

Interesting. I recall meals being pretty similar to what you describe, although we ate mostly meat, potato, veg, with the veg often canned, at all dinners. Portions at fast food restaurants -- not all restaurants -- were definitely smaller (although more for adults, as kid's meals are still the smaller sizes, no?). I also recall fast food being a kid's thing in the circles I was in -- we'd go after some event as a treat, my family would not eat there, unless on a road trip -- but then that's kind of how I think of it now, I don't know many people who eat fast food much, and when people pick up food for lunch it isn't huge portions or McD or whatever.

What you describe doesn't sound like "less processed foods" than what I experience/see today (half and half seems about right, although for some that means much more and for some that means less). I suppose what you think of as the norm for today is going to influence what you think has changed.

Vegetables, especially fresh, are available in much more variety today, IME, although given the stats people don't consume them more (again, I expect this differs by family).

Activity level seems different to me, for sure.