why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    More active (no internet/smartphones/video games), less sugar/processed food stuff, more homecooked meals, little to no fast food, oh and drugs lol

I feel like at least some of this is based in our projections of what life was like in the 70s, not what life was actually like in the 70s (my apologies if you actually lived through the era and these are your memories).

Less processed food, little to no fast food . . . I don't know if this describes the 1970s generally, although it may have been the experience of some people then (as it is the experience of some people now).

Yeah, that's my impression.

For an amusing take on food in the '70s, the Supersizers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-AbfqIQreM
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Because the "low fat" craze wasn't around then. Fat became the enemy in the 80s--sugar became king.

It was around in the 70's too. We commonly had "ice milk" instead of ice cream. Ice milk was low-fat ice cream. And margarine full of trans fat was also common.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Where did people live that there was less processed food and no fast food? Processed food really took off in the 50s after WWII...so did fast food.

My mom did prepare some meals from scratch certainly...but I recall eating a fair amount of mac 'n cheese, hamburger helper, wonder bread, bologna, and cream of whatever condensed soup in numerous "home cooked" meals. My dad was a potato chip fiend...and when he had to feed me because mom was gone, it was usually a slice of wonder bread with beans and weenies on top with a side of chips.

We had more than several McDonalds, Wendy's, A&W, Long John Silvers, Burger King...just to name a few.

My mom was single in the mid to late 70s and she told me that she ate cottage cheese and Tang for breakfast each morning, a peanut butter sandwich on white bread for lunch, and either a sloppy joe or a hot dog for dinner each night. For fruit and vegetables, she says she would sometimes have carrots or an apple but not daily. She didn't get interested in nutrition until she had kids. She also didn't like spending money on food -- her "splurge" was an orange soda.

How could I forget sloppy joes...and Tang.

vegetables growing up were pretty much canned unless we were at grandma's house because she had a big garden...those weird pale canned peas still haunt my dreams...mac 'n cheese, fish sticks, and weird pale peas...

tenor.gif?itemid=3464363

One of my favorites though was tuna and noodle casserole...mom made it with cream of mushroom soup and then put a crust of potato chips on top...for whatever reason I crave that after a day on the slopes...the last time we went skiing we were meeting up with my mom for dinner afterwards and I asked her to make it and she was all...

giphy.gif

She's became quite the health nut after my sister and I grew up and left the house...

Oh yeah...let's not forget about Velveeta cheese...I remember the first time I had real cheddar cheese and I was like...WTF is this?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I was a nerdy person who loved to read but to fulfill my addiction I had to bike to the closest book-mobile, which was miles away. And then try to ride back with a HUGE bag of books.

Bored? It was nothing to hop on my bike and just tool around the neighborhood.

My parents took us out for ice cream at least once a week. In the summers we all rode our bikes to the Dairy Queen.

Oh, the bookmobile!

All this is making me nostalgic too.

We also got to buy ice cream if the ice cream man came around.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Where did people live that there was less processed food and no fast food? Processed food really took off in the 50s after WWII...so did fast food.

My mom did prepare some meals from scratch certainly...but I recall eating a fair amount of mac 'n cheese, hamburger helper, wonder bread, bologna, and cream of whatever condensed soup in numerous "home cooked" meals. My dad was a potato chip fiend...and when he had to feed me because mom was gone, it was usually a slice of wonder bread with beans and weenies on top with a side of chips.

We had more than several McDonalds, Wendy's, A&W, Long John Silvers, Burger King...just to name a few.

My mom was single in the mid to late 70s and she told me that she ate cottage cheese and Tang for breakfast each morning, a peanut butter sandwich on white bread for lunch, and either a sloppy joe or a hot dog for dinner each night. For fruit and vegetables, she says she would sometimes have carrots or an apple but not daily. She didn't get interested in nutrition until she had kids. She also didn't like spending money on food -- her "splurge" was an orange soda.

How could I forget sloppy joes...and Tang.

vegetables growing up were pretty much canned unless we were at grandma's house because she had a big garden...those weird pale canned peas still haunt my dreams...mac 'n cheese, fish sticks, and weird pale peas...

tenor.gif?itemid=3464363

One of my favorites though was tuna and noodle casserole...mom made it with cream of mushroom soup and then put a crust of potato chips on top...for whatever reason I crave that after a day on the slopes...the last time we went skiing we were meeting up with my mom for dinner afterwards and I asked her to make it and she was all...

giphy.gif

She's became quite the health nut after my sister and I grew up and left the house...

Oh yeah...let's not forget about Velveeta cheese...I remember the first time I had real cheddar cheese and I was like...WTF is this?

Oh, my dad *loved* canned peas. Even when my mom switched to fresher stuff, he would still insist on having them sometimes. He would always get the entire bowl to himself. Nobody else could stand them.

*full body shudder*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My family still drinks Tang- my dad's personal preference is to drink it warm- like hot tea.

You sort of get used to it after the warm grape fruit revulsion over takes you for a half a second.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    My family still drinks Tang- my dad's personal preference is to drink it warm- like hot tea.

You sort of get used to it after the warm grape fruit revulsion over takes you for a half a second.

oh man...I didn't know they still made it. I might have to go find some...I wonder if it tastes like I remember...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    ktm96 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to figure out why people were so skinny about 40 years ago vs today....here are some reasons i can think of and i want to know yours:

1. little to none high fructose corn syrup
    2. more activity.....people didnt sit on their computers and smart phones all day

these are just two main ones i can think of, anyone else have any ideas?
    I grew up in the 70's, so I have great input. We ate candy like all kids did. I ate McDonald's at 10 year old up to now.
    But I also rode my bike everywhere, skateboarded, and play street football almost everyday. We ate 3 meals a day, but the PORTIONS were much smaller. Even at all fast food restaurants. A medium fry today was a large back in the 70's. Oh and we also HAD to do PE or get an F.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

oh man...I didn't know they still made it. I might have to go find some...I wonder if it tastes like I remember...

I don't recommend it. I've stopped tasting stuff I loved as a child because it's never the same and just taints the memory.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I wondered that myself, especially looking back. When I look at celebrities that in those days were considered "fat" they are pretty close to what would be average now: Jackie Gleason, Mama Cass. I was coming of age in the early 70s and I think the food was different. Not as much variety, but real food, grown from non-GMO seeds in healthier soil. We ate in restaurants only on rare occasion, and I did not have pizza until I was about 16. There was a strong trend toward "skinnyness" --- and, yes, there were drugs, but I do not think the drugs explain the thinner physiques of the time. The general level of activity was different for many people for the reasons mentioned above. However, the activity level then depended on the individual, too --- because there are many who walk and bike everywhere and do all kinds of exercise today, but they are not thin. Likewise, there were many sedentary people back then who were. I think the actual components of the food, which is something more than simply the easy gratification and availability, though that is a strong factor. As Michael Pollan points out, today many people have the option and do eat fries 3 times or more a day ... but when you had to make them yourself, it was more of a big deal. If we had chips, potatoes were peeled and they were done in the home deep frier, or wrapped in newspaper from a fish and chips shop. On a tv program I watched recently about the obesity epidemic, a boy of about 8 years old weighing around 200 lbs was featured ... and the narration inferred that it would be of little use for the parents to tell this boy he needed to play outside more and eat more fruits and vegetables and less junk.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Cocaine and other drugs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PB4Lyfe
    PB4Lyfe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    lots of sex - it’s great cardio :)