russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    btcowboy wrote: »
    Watch the documentary on Netflix called Fed Up explains it all

Nope fed up has already been debunked multiple times over
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about how people were more active because there was no Internet etc... People read books and newspapers. People still watched tv (even if it was 3 channels instead of 200). I mean, I'm sure that kids were more active by then, but most kids I see have a normal weight.

I too also think that it has to do with portion control... or maybe the processed food we have now has more calories than it had then?

Hard to say for me, I was born at the end of the 70s and in another country, so I have absolutely no clue how it was then versus now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    It's all pretty much been covered, but literal syrup wasn't being pumped into everything everyone ate, people cooked normal meals at home out of raw ingredients instead of eating out every day and ideas of portion sizes weren't as wildly skewed. More activity, especially for children who were encouraged to actually play outside (and it was considered safe enough to do so), and food lobbyists not yet pushing out the food pyramid with its bogus emphasis on grain.

People also did not drink thousands of calories of sugar a day because 32-44 oz of liquid candy with every meal and more in between was not something everyone just casually did or allowed for their kids.

Speaking as someone who was in my 20's during the 70's, you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Syrup in all the food?? Where did you get that from?
    2) The fantasy of people cooking "normal meals at home out of raw ingredients" is a 50's fantasy. Get your eras straight. The 70's saw a significant rise of families with all adults working, and the use of convenience foods, at least in my social circle, was definitely routine. Nobody ate out every day or lived on fast food - we were all working our *love* off to give our kids some of the extras we didn't have growing up (this is another generalization but true among the people I interacted with.)
    3) All our kids were involved in organized sports of one kind or another - they were plenty active.
    4) Do you seriously think the government food standards had much if any influence on what people eat, then and now? And yes there were food guidelines when we were in school (in the 60s!) that were similar to the infamous pyramid. We learned about them in cooking class - they had no impact on what most people ate at home.
    5) Good grief, who was eating thousands of calories of sugar a day during any period of human history?? Where did you even see that? There was plenty of soda around in the 70's (and kool-ade all the way back to the 60's). There was also diet soda and of course water and milk. Nobody I ever met was all sugar all the time, and most people limited sugary drinks for their kids.

heads up - kittens are now love. Happy Valentine's day :drinker:

1) I believe the syrup in food was referring to today, not the 70's, since the post says "syrup wasn't being pumped into everything ". I assume this refers to HFCS

3) Not the case where I lived. Most of the boys played little league baseball. Probably only about 1/4 - 1/3 of kids were involved in school sports. We were very active, much more so than most kids today. But most of the activity where I grew up was play, not organized sports.

4) actually that post is correct about the food pyramid. After the 70's the recommendation from the USDA for grains more than doubled. https://www.choosemyplate.gov/brief-history-usda-food-guides
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    It's all pretty much been covered, but literal syrup wasn't being pumped into everything everyone ate, people cooked normal meals at home out of raw ingredients instead of eating out every day and ideas of portion sizes weren't as wildly skewed. More activity, especially for children who were encouraged to actually play outside (and it was considered safe enough to do so), and food lobbyists not yet pushing out the food pyramid with its bogus emphasis on grain.

People also did not drink thousands of calories of sugar a day because 32-44 oz of liquid candy with every meal and more in between was not something everyone just casually did or allowed for their kids.

Speaking as someone who was in my 20's during the 70's, you have no idea what you're talking about.

2) The fantasy of people cooking "normal meals at home out of raw ingredients" is a 50's fantasy. Get your eras straight. The 70's saw a significant rise of families with all adults working, and the use of convenience foods, at least in my social circle, was definitely routine. Nobody ate out every day or lived on fast food - we were all working our *love* off to give our kids some of the extras we didn't have growing up (this is another generalization but true among the people I interacted with.)
    3) All our kids were involved in organized sports of one kind or another - they were plenty active.
    4) Do you seriously think the government food standards had much if any influence on what people eat, then and now? And yes there were food guidelines when we were in school (in the 60s!) that were similar to the infamous pyramid. We learned about them in cooking class - they had no impact on what most people ate at home.
    5) Good grief, who was eating thousands of calories of sugar a day during any period of human history?? Where did you even see that? There was plenty of soda around in the 70's (and kool-ade all the way back to the 60's). There was also diet soda and of course water and milk. Nobody I ever met was all sugar all the time, and most people limited sugary drinks for their kids.

1) I believe the syrup in food was referring to today, not the 70's, since the post says "syrup wasn't being pumped into everything ". I assume this refers to HFCS

3) Not the case where I lived. Most of the boys played little league baseball. Probably only about 1/4 - 1/3 of kids were involved in school sports. We were very active, much more so than most kids today. But most of the activity where I grew up was play, not organized sports.

4) actually that post is correct about the food pyramid. After the 70's the recommendation from the USDA for grains more than doubled. https://www.choosemyplate.gov/brief-history-usda-food-guides

1) Yeah, looking back I got confused going back and forth between the 70s and today. I meant to question the comment in the context of today - addressing the hyperbole. Didn't make myself clear.
    3) Agree, your experience would of course be different than mine or anybody else's.
    4) My point there was that I don't think most people take government food standards into account when meal planning, regardless of the recommendations. Again, didn't make myself clear :)
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    There are a number of reasons that by themselves are rather insignificant, but come together to form a larger trend. Among the other reasons mentioned (that aren't laden in childhood nostalgia), there are a few others that I've noticed that I would like to add. Please note that my answers are USA-centric, and obviously they don't capture the whole story -- there are other, much bigger factors I left out, because I felt they've already been stated enough already earlier in this thread:

* Lower prevalence of desk jobs. There obviously were desk jobs in the 70s, but prior to the affordable desktop computer and the internet, the US economy was not primarily a service economy as it is today. More people were working more active jobs.

* Decreased food options/variety. Increasing food variety often correlates with increased intake. Today, I live in the suburbs near two major cities. I could pop open Yelp right now, pick any type of cuisine I could possibly dream of, and probably find at least 3 restaurants which serve that cuisine right now. Even my boyfriend, who grew up in the sticks not really very close to any city, still had quite a few restaurant options growing up. Going out to eat is not that interesting or worth the money if most of the restaurants around you serve the same kind of food. It never gets boring if there's always something new you can try. Likewise, in the store, there isn't just 4-5 different kinds of soda and a few brands of chips, there's a 100 different kinds of soda and a 1000 different kinds of chips, with more to come. The variety is endless. It's pretty hard to get bored of junk when there keeps coming out new and interesting variations.

* Less marketing to children. This started picking up in the 70s, but didn't become a really sophisticated, concentrated effort until the 1980s. There's some more information here about this. Of course, this goes hand-in-hand with how many hours children spend watching TV -- as the number of hours children spend watching TV goes up, so too does the number of opportunities to market junk food to them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

If it's referring to HFCS, then it's just wrong. HFCS isn't pumped into everything. It's in a wide variety of products, but it's also very simple to find things in the average grocery store that don't have it.

Agree, and it wasn't my post so I could be wrong. But IDK what else it could be. Unfortunately not many foods are pumped full of maple syrup. ;)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    1. No Internet.
    2. No video games.
    3. Home cooked meals (from scratch)
    4. Kids played outside after school.
    5. Parents didn't drive kids everywhere, we rode our bikes or walked.

Yes. In addition, snacking was not yet invented. In the 70’s, if you wanted a snack, you ate a banana, grapes, or an apple. Not a giant pack of chips and a 20oz Coke.

Interesting. I was growing up in the 70s and I remember all kinds of snacks... Little Debbie's, Twinkies, candy bars, Hunt's Snack Pack puddings in the little can...incidentally the new ones that are in the plastic cups do not taste anywhere near as good as the ones in the can. There are all kinds of cookies and sugar sweetened cereals available. And those cereals proudly proclaimed that they were sugary. Super sugar crisp Sugar Pops... Those are just two that come to mind I know there were many more.

Your parents were probably like my poor cousin's parents who would not let them have any kinds of sweets and a big treat to them were those honey sesame "candy" pieces of sadness from the health food store LOL.
  • Halseysmirk
    Halseysmirk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Must have been jazzercise
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If it's referring to HFCS, then it's just wrong. HFCS isn't pumped into everything. It's in a wide variety of products, but it's also very simple to find things in the average grocery store that don't have it.

Agree, and it wasn't my post so I could be wrong. But IDK what else it could be. Unfortunately not many foods are pumped full of maple syrup. ;)

Probably good for my waistline. I love the stuff! :D
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    My son can finish an entire small pizza. I could probably get pretty close myself, on a good day. In the 1970s, you had three slices, if you were really hungry!....

Again, doesn't match how the '70s went for me. We would go to Shakey's Pizza Parlor for their all-you-can-eat lunch of pizza, salad, fried chicken and mojo (fried/seasoned) potatoes. My record was 22 slices of pizza, along with a few chicken drumsticks and a dozen or so mojo potato slices. I was around 15-16 at the time. A small pizza wouldn't even have counted as a warm-up for me at that time.

This makes me nostalgic. I remember we went to Shakeys once and, for whatever reason they couldn't make medium pizza's so all 6 teenaged boys (we went with my parents and their friends) ended up with a large pizza each. We had no issue eating them.

Does Shakey's still exit? Time for google.

Me too! We had a Shakey's and it was where we always went after our middle school dances. So fun to think about that stuff.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Also, adjusting for inflation, the average household had much less in the way of discretionary income; treats were just that; an occasional thing.

Speaking for myself and my family, though we were probably a little better than median income, we rarely had soda, candy, or snack cake type items in the house and we almost never ate fast food (though obviously these things were all available). I remember it was kinda a big deal to order a pizza... *one* pizza... for five people.

My n=1 FWIW...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

I JUST had a Nestle Greek Yogurt Maple frozen yogurt bar!
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with the whole more active, ate less junk, but I seem to remember when I was a kid in the 70's almost every adult I knew smoked. I know my mother smoked for several years to keep her weight down. It didn't work for everyone, but a lot of people would smoke instead of eat. Not a healthy trade off.