why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We had to be seniors to leave campus for lunch and all you can eat Shakeys buffet was lunch of choice for us too (pizza is all I recall being there, but that's what I would have gotten, so I've probably forgotten the rest). Didn't go much, but it was great.

This was 1986-87, though.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    pretty easy answer as I was 17 at the height of the disco era.. we danced all the time, all night long.. kept active.. and when we werent dancing we were shopping for something to wear dancing.. so again lots of exercise.. and not wasting time on the computer, phone etc.. we just went out.. eat properly ... things are in overabundance in every way now.. simple fun is the way to go
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    My son can finish an entire small pizza. I could probably get pretty close myself, on a good day. In the 1970s, you had three slices, if you were really hungry!....

Again, doesn't match how the '70s went for me. We would go to Shakey's Pizza Parlor for their all-you-can-eat lunch of pizza, salad, fried chicken and mojo (fried/seasoned) potatoes. My record was 22 slices of pizza, along with a few chicken drumsticks and a dozen or so mojo potato slices. I was around 15-16 at the time. A small pizza wouldn't even have counted as a warm-up for me at that time.

I won't even touch Pollan's woo about corn. Corn isn't the devil and it's not why our society is dealing with an obesity epidemic. Helps him sell a lot of books, though.

You're right.....I guess.....
    But, if portion sizes haven't changed, why is everyone heavier these days, given that the waistlines are made in the kitchen?
    Or is it not true that one has to eat more to gain weight?
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,145 Member
    Options
    I think it was the mindset in those days....pre-sitting on our *kitten* days.....we ate more natural, less processed foods, and we burned more calories. Somebody mentioned we ate less protein and didn't lift weights....just the opposite....we ate high protein foods, but burned a whole lot more calories that people do now, just in daily living. But it started when we were little kids....playing hard was what we lived for...less processed foods...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    How come GMOs are only supposed to make us magically fat and not, like, magically have superpowers?

Because if they gave us superpowers then we couldn't refer to Mosanto and their ilk as the 'evil empire' any more... duh!

I don't know about that. There are a lot of mentally tortured superheros out there. I think Wolverine probably considers the military-industrial complex that gave him his superpowers evil.
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I remember the 70's, to buy a can of soda, it used to take four of us to 'club' our pocket money together. Was it just me or was everyone in England poor as a church mouse smiley:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    A large pop most places was 12 oz and there were no free refills.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ktm96 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to figure out why people were so skinny about 40 years ago vs today....here are some reasons i can think of and i want to know yours:

1. little to none high fructose corn syrup
    2. more activity.....people didnt sit on their computers and smart phones all day

these are just two main ones i can think of, anyone else have any ideas?
    I grew up in the 70's, so I have great input. We ate candy like all kids did. I ate McDonald's at 10 year old up to now.
    But I also rode my bike everywhere, skateboarded, and play street football almost everyday. We ate 3 meals a day, but the PORTIONS were much smaller. Even at all fast food restaurants. A medium fry today was a large back in the 70's. Oh and we also HAD to do PE or get an F.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And they actually made you move. I see the kids at the local jr high outside for "PE" strolling around the track, chatting with each other and looking at their phones.
  • lorderek
    lorderek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    less people drove/ had cars so walked or public transport. simple home made food . Kids played outside for hours no devices came home when they felt hungry or took their sandwiches with em
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    My dad had an 8 pack in the late 70's (he graduated high school in '80 or '81).

His diet consisted homemade breakfasts consisting of bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy (Grandma made breakfast for the family every day) as well as a host of snacks like chips, hostess cupcakes, ding dongs, vienna sausages, etc..

He also ran ten miles a day just because he enjoyed it. Once he started working, he was the type to give 110% effort at whatever he was doing (even if that meant stocking shelves, he was going to be sure he did it faster than anyone else).
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    1. No Internet.
    2. No video games.
    3. Home cooked meals (from scratch)
    4. Kids played outside after school.
    5. Parents didn't drive kids everywhere, we rode our bikes or walked.

Yes. In addition, snacking was not yet invented. In the 70’s, if you wanted a snack, you ate a banana, grapes, or an apple. Not a giant pack of chips and a 20oz Coke.

Snacking not yet invented? My favorite snack food then was home-baked cookies which we always had around the house. We even ate the dough before they were baked...gasp! Fruit was more seasonal, hard to come by or very expensive in the winter. We rarely snacked on chips because they were for special occasions, as was soda. I remember making tortilla chips by cutting tortillas in quarters, then frying them in oil. Kind of a pain in the *kitten* so not eaten often. I have been overweight since my first son was born in 1972. I just ate too damn much, whatever food was available. I didn't get the memo about being skinny during the 70's.
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Less stress overall, and certainly not the pressure to "keep up with the Jones'". Bought what you could afford in all areas of life, including food preparation. Eat to live, not live to eat mind-set. Values were different, children worked for their allowance, played outside, no entitlements. At least for this farm girl!