Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I said our increase in sugar consumption. My point was not that a single chemical caused the nations obesity problem, That was the single thing you two looked for to try to make the debate about. I was saying the American lifestyle changed. That is all I was saying in my original post. We became more sedimentary with our jobs, they found cheaper ways to make different forms of sugar that sometimes you have to be a chemist to find on a label. I am saying we need to go back to how society lived in the 60 and 70's in regards to eating. Compare a big Mac today with a big mac from when we were kids? The calorie contents are massively higher than when we were children. That is what I was trying to say in the beginning. All the list of chemicals that someone mentioned was a quote I put in my post answering someone else about all the chemicals.

You wrote: "The increase in chemicals and the massive amounts of sugar being consumed by the American public was on a steep climb up." If you want to remove the first part of the sentence and focus on the sugar, that's fine. But people can only respond to what you wrote, not what you *meant* (at least until you clarify).

Do you have a source for the Big Mac today being bigger than it was when we were children? I ask because McDonald's themselves says it is the same size (with the exception of the new, specially labeled limited offer of the "Grand Mac") and if they're not being truthful, I'd like to know the source for that claim.

No, I do not have a source for the calories of a big mac when we were kids. You know why, cause they did not keep track of that information or it is a proprietary secret, which they will not share. Do you think that a big mac and a coke was 1150 calories 30 years ago? If it was that means we are consuming way more then we did 30 years ago, but I find it hard to believe that cokes product has changed, I do not know the exact number of times, would it not reason that McDonald's has changed their recipes and hamburgers and ingredients as well and lied to the American public about it? I'm just saying.

I suspect the Big Mac was the same size.

What I think is different is what we ordinarily order. Then adults would get a cheeseburger or maybe a Quarter Pounder and small or large fries, but the largest size fries now is much larger than then.

My mom got diet coke if we went to McD's back then, and that's what I'd get now (but I don't usually get McD's, since I'm not a fast food fan, although I may have to go to Long John Silvers now I know I can!). So calories from soda would be irrelevant to me, '70s or now.

In the '70s we went occasionally and I got a burger (I didn't like cheese on them yet) with small fries and a small orange drink. I don't think Happy Meals existed yet. I bet the calories from my order would be the same.

Just checked and it looks like Diet Coke was introduced in '82, so I don't know what my mom would have gotten in the '70s. Did McD's have Tab?

Also, for the record, I didn't get the orange drink because we thought it anything but soda. I just liked it best and could only get it at McD's (or other fast food).

I worked at McDonald's in 1981 and can confirm that the diet drink was Tab - at least in my area.

Thanks! I know my mom drank Tab sometimes, so I'm sure that's what she would have ordered.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I can’t speak to the 70s but the orange drink was not carbonated in the 90s.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Of course, it's not exactly hard to get a black coffee at Starbucks or even just a coffee with milk if one likes a latte sort of thing. That foods are available doesn't mean people have to choose the higher cal options.

Yes but it's an option, and it wasn't there at the time. One of those drinks and the extra calories from a supersize meal can easily give you 600+ extra calories a day.

I mean, how many people start MFP and are dumbfounded when they find out that their favorite drink is 1/3 of the calories they can eat if they want to lose weight? (I know, the menu mentions calories, but most people don't know how much they should eat either).
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was a teenager and about half my current weight.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Of course, it's not exactly hard to get a black coffee at Starbucks or even just a coffee with milk if one likes a latte sort of thing. That foods are available doesn't mean people have to choose the higher cal options.

Yes but it's an option, and it wasn't there at the time. One of those drinks and the extra calories from a supersize meal can easily give you 600+ extra calories a day.

I mean, how many people start MFP and are dumbfounded when they find out that their favorite drink is 1/3 of the calories they can eat if they want to lose weight? (I know, the menu mentions calories, but most people don't know how much they should eat either).

Not that I was a regular latte sipper, by any stretch of the imagination... But I sure was shocked when I found out how many calories my favorite latte was. Now I only had a latte maybe once or twice a month... But the calories are so...many... that I don't want them at all now. Just not worth it. LOL I enjoy my black coffee just as well for practically zero calories LOL
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

There were different options.

Not saying it's not easier to find things to overeat on now; I think it is. But this idea that some seem to have that people didn't have opportunities to eat a whole lot in the '70s is weird.

I don't know; I've always (since being an adult) been pretty sensitive to wasting calories on drinks, so I find it amazing that people didn't know (also amazing that people don't realize those coffees are big desserts). But in college I drank coffee that was half milk and drank a lot of it (free in the dining hall), and yet was not fat. I bet a lot of people added sugar or cream (I didn't, but that was personal taste, I've always hated sweetened coffee), and people were mostly not fat (this was the late '80s and early '90s, but a college campus that is probably still mostly healthy weight).

On 70s stuff, I think some common restaurants had smaller portions, but I recall plenty that had big portions too, not fast food (but even now a burger from a pub or restaurant is going to have more calories than an average fast food restaurant, so beats me why people are so focused on fast food). I loved steak when I was a kid, and I recall driving cross country when I was 8 and stopping at various restaurants and wanting a steak and ordering from the adult menu and the waitress telling my parents it would be too big for me (I always was small for my age, and at that age was thin) and them saying it was fine and me eating it all and feeling weirdly congratulated.

You'd think I'd have gotten fat as a result, but no, I wasn't fat until well into adulthood.

Anyway, I recall hating to go out with my grandparents because they always wanted all you can eat buffets, that was a place you could eat a lot. I also recall places with unlimited salad bars (the stuff on it was not all low cal, trust me). The latter might be the '80s, but probably not that different.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I guess I knew that lattes had calories... But in my weight-gaining days, I never paid attention to any calories... Never ever give it a thought. If that seems disingenuous... I can't help that. It just never occurred to me to even consider the calories.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I edited because that seemed harsher than I meant it, and you posted before me and I wasn't responding to you and didn't want it to seem I was.

I don't think it's surprising that people didn't realize the calories they were consuming, I get that. That was largely me at one point, it's super easy to do.

I mean more like people who claim to have been watching calories and to have been misled because who would ever have dreamed whatever it was (insert obviously high cal food) had lots of calories.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    What I remember most about MickeyDee's in the 70's is that we had to park, get out of the car and walk (GASP!) to, and enter the building in order to order and pick up our food.

This whole drive through, order, pay and consume without getting out of the car started much later - maybe in the mid-80's when I was in college. I did not trust it, and still parked and walked in - unless it was a rough or unknown area of town and late at night.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I edited because that seemed harsher than I meant it, and you posted before me and I wasn't responding to you and didn't want it to seem I was.

I don't think it's surprising that people didn't realize the calories they were consuming, I get that. That was largely me at one point, it's super easy to do.

I mean more like people who claim to have been watching calories and to have been misled because who would ever have dreamed whatever it was (insert obviously high cal food) had lots of calories.

Okay that makes more sense thanks for the clarification
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    What I remember most about MickeyDee's in the 70's is that we had to park, get out of the car and walk (GASP!) to, and enter the building in order to order and pick up our food.

This whole drive through, order, pay and consume without getting out of the car started much later - maybe in the mid-80's when I was in college. I did not trust it, and still parked and walked in - unless it was a rough or unknown area of town and late at night.

Not where I grew up. Mickey D's, Jack in the Box, etc. drive-throughs were definitely a thing in the '70s. That was when Jack in the Box had the big, springy clown head thing on the drive-up speaker to order through. Not to mention A&W restaurants (of A&W Root Beer fame), where you parked and ordered through a speaker, and a car hop brought your meal out to you on a tray that hooked to your car window.

This was true were I grew up as well... the only place we actually got out of the car was for pizza.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,832 Member
    Options
    People smoked a lot more. Thinner but now dying of lung and heart disease
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    People smoked a lot more. Thinner but now dying of lung and heart disease

:#
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    smaller plates, bowls, portion sizes
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    slrose wrote: »
    smaller plates, bowls, portion sizes

No. I knew people who ate large portions and still never got fat.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I said our increase in sugar consumption. My point was not that a single chemical caused the nations obesity problem, That was the single thing you two looked for to try to make the debate about. I was saying the American lifestyle changed. That is all I was saying in my original post. We became more sedimentary with our jobs, they found cheaper ways to make different forms of sugar that sometimes you have to be a chemist to find on a label. I am saying we need to go back to how society lived in the 60 and 70's in regards to eating. Compare a big Mac today with a big mac from when we were kids? The calorie contents are massively higher than when we were children. That is what I was trying to say in the beginning. All the list of chemicals that someone mentioned was a quote I put in my post answering someone else about all the chemicals.

You wrote: "The increase in chemicals and the massive amounts of sugar being consumed by the American public was on a steep climb up." If you want to remove the first part of the sentence and focus on the sugar, that's fine. But people can only respond to what you wrote, not what you *meant* (at least until you clarify).

Do you have a source for the Big Mac today being bigger than it was when we were children? I ask because McDonald's themselves says it is the same size (with the exception of the new, specially labeled limited offer of the "Grand Mac") and if they're not being truthful, I'd like to know the source for that claim.

No, I do not have a source for the calories of a big mac when we were kids. You know why, cause they did not keep track of that information or it is a proprietary secret, which they will not share. Do you think that a big mac and a coke was 1150 calories 30 years ago? If it was that means we are consuming way more then we did 30 years ago, but I find it hard to believe that cokes product has changed, I do not know the exact number of times, would it not reason that McDonald's has changed their recipes and hamburgers and ingredients as well and lied to the American public about it? I'm just saying.

A Big Mac and coke aren't even 1150 calories today.

But I would guess you would find a very small % of this combination ordered without the fries. This includes a 32 oz drink. I know at least in my area you could not get a 32 oz soda at McDonald's and there were no free refills either, anywhere in the 1970's.

2uw0anmki0x8.png
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Another place I remember going to as a kid (which blows my mind) is Sambo's. I do not recall the menu.

Also Big Boy's.

Sambo's was a direct competitor to Denny's which was pretty much like it is now. Most open 24 hours, any food served any time, more known for breakfast items. The ones around campuses were very popular after the bars closed on the weekends.