why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Osnt high fructose corn syrup a chemical made from corn? Does HFCS 42 as they call it cause you to be fat?

No, HFCS will not cause obesity by itself. Like any food, it will only "cause" obesity in the context of a diet where one is regularly consuming more calories than one is using.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SO our current western diet of everything containing a great amount of these items is causing people to become obese correct?

Our current diet (on average) containing too many calories is causes people to become obese. (Well, people are causing themselves to become obese by consuming too many calories.)
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of junk is easily available now too. I remember my mom saying when she grew up that it would be a treat if you went to the story for your mother and had a cent left over for a few candy. That didn't happen every day. Now days if I want candy or chips I can DRIVE to any store and buy not only an individual bag I can buy a family sized bag. The same goes with fast food or restaurants, if I don't feel like cooking when I get home this evening I can choose from about 30 places on my way home to pick up something to eat, and none of it is healthy or in an appropriate portion size. That's my 2cents worth!
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SnicciFit wrote: »
    People cooked meals at home instead of going out to eat or popping a pizza in the oven.

ETA: less convenient foods.

And how many of us, actually only have one slice of pizza and some fresh salad? I know I always one slice too many when I have pizza.
  • dgarwood8181
    dgarwood8181 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    SO our current western diet of everything containing a great amount of these items is causing people to become obese correct?

Our current diet (on average) containing too many calories is causes people to become obese. (Well, people are causing themselves to become obese by consuming too many calories.)

Yes it is the actions of the people in society that has changed to overindulge in all types of foods that is causing the obesity problem
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I’m genuinely curious, in posts like these, do you think that all of us eat the same diet? You think there is a standard western diet? Standard American diet?

I bet even if the 8-10 of us currently actively participating in this thread listed a days worth of meals, a weeks worth of meals - you wouldn’t find a lot of similarity. I know we have at least one vegan in the discussion, one self proclaimed food snob, myself who eats a great deal of convenience/processed foods...

:p
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    (I loved Long John Silvers, and if they still exist beats me where to find one, not near my current place at all.)

There are 3 of these near me, each at least 40 minutes away in opposite directions. Every once in a blue moon I get a hankering for some.

• dgarwood8181
    dgarwood8181 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Which is what our generation learned that I was referring to in my original post. Now we are slowly trying to change these eating habits slowly as a society.