why were people so skinny in the 70s?

Options

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Do you have a source for the Big Mac today being bigger than it was when we were children? I ask because McDonald's themselves says it is the same size (with the exception of the new, specially labeled limited offer of the "Grand Mac") and if they're not being truthful, I'd like to know the source for that claim.

It is probably the same size, but I am old enough that I remember when a cheeseburger was just a cheeseburger and it was a big thing when the Quarter Pounder was first introduced. If I recall correctly, also large fries instead of just the little white packets..... The proliferation of stores is amazing too. When I was growing up there was one McDonalds in a town. Where I live now there are four inside city limits and at least one in each of the neighboring small towns.

I don't doubt the claim that there is a wider variety of *larger sandwiches* available today than there may have been in the 1970s. It's the specific claim that McDonald's increased the size of the Big Mac that I'm questioning. I'd just like more support for the claim than "it stands to reason they would."

If anything, they're smaller today than they were in the 70's. Or maybe my hands are larger. I really haven't had one since I was a kid.
  • misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    they rode bikes,skateboards, danced and walked to the park to play. they ate basic meals without them adding 100 ingredients AND we were broke/poor so couldn't spend much money on groceries. Now days...it seems as though we have to have a recipe a mile long and with bread on the side. dessert every night. the list is endless.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    More activity. Less Internet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    abungay wrote: »
    Now days if I want candy or chips I can DRIVE to any store and buy not only an individual bag I can buy a family sized bag.

But you could do this back then too. I mean, I couldn't, I couldn't drive, but adults could have if they wanted to.

It was cultural restrictions on what was appropriate to eat and in what portions, among other things, that prevented people from doing so, not that it was hard to acquire candy or chips (or fast food or whatever).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    they rode bikes,skateboards, danced and walked to the park to play. they ate basic meals without them adding 100 ingredients AND we were broke/poor so couldn't spend much money on groceries. Now days...it seems as though we have to have a recipe a mile long and with bread on the side. dessert every night. the list is endless.

My mom was born in the 1950s and she says that when she was growing up, bread on the side was standard with every meal (even things like pasta or when there was already a starchy side). I don't doubt that many people eat bread on the side now, but I don't think it's especially new . . . for all families anyway.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    (I loved Long John Silvers, and if they still exist beats me where to find one, not near my current place at all.)

There are 3 of these near me, each at least 40 minutes away in opposite directions. Every once in a blue moon I get a hankering for some.

The cracklins are the best... we have one within 5 minutes of our house.

I decided to see where the nearest one is, and found one only about 5 miles away (by car). Which still seems far away, so clearly depends on one's reference point!

(It first told me none near by, but apparently the search was wonky, and now it works okay.)

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    My dad ate bread and butter with every meal, and had bread and butter with a cup of coffee at night before he went to bed. And sometimes he'd have a snack of bread and butter in the afternoon. Every meal had to have bread and butter. And potatoes and butter. And butter.

I ate a lot of candy and junk food in the 70s and 80s. I didn't "walk" or "ride my bike" anywhere except in and out my driveway occasionally - didn't walk to the park, walk to the corner store - we lived in a rural area in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing around but neighbors who didn't have kids my age. I remember one time eating so much of a bag of circus peanuts that I threw up - and to this day I can't stand the sight of them. lol

I didn't become overweight until after I got pregnant at age 26 or so.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I said our increase in sugar consumption. My point was not that a single chemical caused the nations obesity problem, That was the single thing you two looked for to try to make the debate about. I was saying the American lifestyle changed. That is all I was saying in my original post. We became more sedimentary with our jobs, they found cheaper ways to make different forms of sugar that sometimes you have to be a chemist to find on a label. I am saying we need to go back to how society lived in the 60 and 70's in regards to eating. Compare a big Mac today with a big mac from when we were kids? The calorie contents are massively higher than when we were children. That is what I was trying to say in the beginning. All the list of chemicals that someone mentioned was a quote I put in my post answering someone else about all the chemicals.

You wrote: "The increase in chemicals and the massive amounts of sugar being consumed by the American public was on a steep climb up." If you want to remove the first part of the sentence and focus on the sugar, that's fine. But people can only respond to what you wrote, not what you *meant* (at least until you clarify).

Do you have a source for the Big Mac today being bigger than it was when we were children? I ask because McDonald's themselves says it is the same size (with the exception of the new, specially labeled limited offer of the "Grand Mac") and if they're not being truthful, I'd like to know the source for that claim.

No, I do not have a source for the calories of a big mac when we were kids. You know why, cause they did not keep track of that information or it is a proprietary secret, which they will not share. Do you think that a big mac and a coke was 1150 calories 30 years ago? If it was that means we are consuming way more then we did 30 years ago, but I find it hard to believe that cokes product has changed, I do not know the exact number of times, would it not reason that McDonald's has changed their recipes and hamburgers and ingredients as well and lied to the American public about it? I'm just saying.

I suspect the Big Mac was the same size.

What I think is different is what we ordinarily order. Then adults would get a cheeseburger or maybe a Quarter Pounder and small or large fries, but the largest size fries now is much larger than then.

My mom got diet coke if we went to McD's back then, and that's what I'd get now (but I don't usually get McD's, since I'm not a fast food fan, although I may have to go to Long John Silvers now I know I can!). So calories from soda would be irrelevant to me, '70s or now.

In the '70s we went occasionally and I got a burger (I didn't like cheese on them yet) with small fries and a small orange drink. I don't think Happy Meals existed yet. I bet the calories from my order would be the same.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I said our increase in sugar consumption. My point was not that a single chemical caused the nations obesity problem, That was the single thing you two looked for to try to make the debate about. I was saying the American lifestyle changed. That is all I was saying in my original post. We became more sedimentary with our jobs, they found cheaper ways to make different forms of sugar that sometimes you have to be a chemist to find on a label. I am saying we need to go back to how society lived in the 60 and 70's in regards to eating. Compare a big Mac today with a big mac from when we were kids? The calorie contents are massively higher than when we were children. That is what I was trying to say in the beginning. All the list of chemicals that someone mentioned was a quote I put in my post answering someone else about all the chemicals.

You wrote: "The increase in chemicals and the massive amounts of sugar being consumed by the American public was on a steep climb up." If you want to remove the first part of the sentence and focus on the sugar, that's fine. But people can only respond to what you wrote, not what you *meant* (at least until you clarify).

No, I do not have a source for the calories of a big mac when we were kids. You know why, cause they did not keep track of that information or it is a proprietary secret, which they will not share. Do you think that a big mac and a coke was 1150 calories 30 years ago? If it was that means we are consuming way more then we did 30 years ago, but I find it hard to believe that cokes product has changed, I do not know the exact number of times, would it not reason that McDonald's has changed their recipes and hamburgers and ingredients as well and lied to the American public about it? I'm just saying.

What I think is different is what we ordinarily order. Then adults would get a cheeseburger or maybe a Quarter Pounder and small or large fries, but the largest size fries now is much larger than then.

My mom got diet coke if we went to McD's back then, and that's what I'd get now (but I don't usually get McD's, since I'm not a fast food fan, although I may have to go to Long John Silvers now I know I can!). So calories from soda would be irrelevant to me, '70s or now.

In the '70s we went occasionally and I got a burger (I didn't like cheese on them yet) with small fries and a small orange drink. I don't think Happy Meals existed yet. I bet the calories from my order would be the same.

Just checked and it looks like Diet Coke was introduced in '82, so I don't know what my mom would have gotten in the '70s. Did McD's have Tab?

Also, for the record, I didn't get the orange drink because we thought it anything but soda. I just liked it best and could only get it at McD's (or other fast food).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Another place I remember going to as a kid (which blows my mind) is Sambo's. I do not recall the menu.

Also Big Boy's.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Smoking?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I found a McDonald's menu picture from the 70's, there was only one size of fries.

Large fries, large soda add up quite a bit of calories right there.

Don't get me started on Big Gulps at 7-11 and the like. Did they even sell 16oz 600 calories coffee drinks in the 70's?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Just checked and it looks like Diet Coke was introduced in '82, so I don't know what my mom would have gotten in the '70s. Did McD's have Tab?

Also, for the record, I didn't get the orange drink because we thought it anything but soda. I just liked it best and could only get it at McD's (or other fast food).

I worked at McDonald's in 1981 and can confirm that the diet drink was Tab - at least in my area.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Probably Tab or Fresca. I remember mom drinking those when I was a kid. Of course, she also drank Lonesome Charlie for wine, so she had no taste.

To me the Big Mac's seem smaller these days. At least the meat seems less. But you can get double Big Macs now that I don't remember as a kid (my Junior high school was across the street from a McDonalds).

Wasn't the orange drink non-carbonated? That's what I remember and I remember not liking it.

I think it was carbonated, but don't know for certain.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I found a McDonald's menu picture from the 70's, there was only one size of fries.

I remember there being small and large, but my memories would be from the later '70s and I could be remembering the '80s anyway.
    Large fries, large soda add up quite a bit of calories right there.

We got small fries, you can get small fries now, I assume (haven't been to McD's in forever).

My mom got diet soda, I'd get diet soda now, so that's 0 calories.
    Don't get me started on Big Gulps at 7-11 and the like. Did they even sell 16oz 600 calories coffee drinks in the 70's?

I recall big giant 7-11 drinks from when I was a kid (late '70s or early '80s), but what I actually remember getting on occasion (when I was old enough to go there with my cousin during the summer, so probably early '80s) was Slurpees or some other kind of slushies.

Big coffee drinks weren't a thing, Starbucks wasn't a thing yet.

Of course, it's not exactly hard to get a black coffee at Starbucks or even just a coffee with milk if one likes a latte sort of thing. That foods are available doesn't mean people have to choose the higher cal options.