A Calorie is NOT a calorie

Options

Replies

• Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Although, I have to say, I am amused by the gut flora aspect. Because if you can treat C. dificile with a pill made of human poop, maybe a poop pill can be created with the feces of lean people to help with weight loss!

You may have been joking, but that is actually quite feasible. Researchers at UAB (medical weight loss clinic) report that there has been clinical evidence that the gut bacteria of obese differs from the bacteria of naturally lean (rats/people). The research is being done on rats, but has been tied to similar dynamic in people. They further found that if they transfer the bacteria from the obese to the thin rat, the thin rat becomes obese with no other changes. Similarly, if the bacteria from the thin rat is transferred to the fat rat, it becomes thin.

Further, they know that after WLS, the gut bacteria of the obese patient changes to the lean bacteria profile, but they don't yet know exactly why. There is *current* research going right now to identify how that bacteria changes, why and how it might be done without surgery in order to make the weight loss effort easier.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This_820477_1504713.gif
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    People have confused a "calorie is not a calorie" with "all calories are not created equal" from the get go, and don't expect this to change with this thread.

Exactly.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    People have confused a "calorie is not a calorie" with "all calories are not created equal" from the get go, and don't expect this to change with this thread.

Yay!

For most chubbies, like me, much of the "enzyme "A" does this and "B" does that" is just too far out into the weeds.

What's so wrong with the following:
    1. Look at McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese meal stats
    2. Realize that it won't keep me satisfied all day although it contains all daily calories and few nutrients I need.
    3. Eat something that's a better fit for my goals.
    4. Be active.
    ????

If its so munch more complicated than that, there's no point of logging my food & activity on here.

(Going to see how many calories burned in "wading out into weeds - strenuous")
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sara,
    The longer it takes your body to absorb means you are not getting hungry for a longer period of time so you are most likely feeling full & eating less.

Cmgtmgmom,
    Right on according to a couple of weight loss books I've read.

A lot of you guys/girls are Hilarious!

How does that change the caloric value of what you do eat?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    again?
    Lilo-Stitch-lilo-and-stitch-24764603-499-233.gif
  • hookilau
    Options
    again?

stupid gif. work damn you...work!!!!!

• anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie. But 150 calories of brownie is way better than 150 calories of almonds!
  • hookilau
    Options
    again?

stupid gif. work damn you...work!!!!!

fail :laugh:
  • hookilau
    Options
    tumblr_lph42geer61qm6oc3o1_500.gif
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I was kind of expecting pics of delicious foods.

I am very disappointed in all of you...:noway:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Reading just the thread title, it's true,

A Calorie is not a calorie.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    You know, given my age, my size and how much fructose I've ingested over the years, one would have to presume that I have diabetes.

Funny how I don't.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think your right, but I also think your over thinking it. Perhaps making this whole thing a bit to overcomplicated?
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    your right I am sleeping better and also my stress level is much lower than when I was in school. Also I was breaking out like crazy. Now I don't even have a single pimple. I guess rather than the sugar in energy drink alone but because of all the stimulant which didn't help out my already stressed out state. So from what you said, is my problem reversed or should I see a doctor about it? Yes the stretch mark are in the abdomen and are purple.

I thought the purple stretch mark thing was sarcasm!

But I still agree with your original post, this is a lot of negativity to give to someone who's found information s/he thought would be helpful to the rest of the MFP community.

Letting OP know their info/intrepretation is flawed is fine-- mocking them with unicorns and all else makes you rude. This is why ppl post those "I hate MFP, GOOD BYE FOREVER" threads. All the people posting rude replys have used this site to achieve their goals- good for you. We value the info you share and have learned along the way but really... stop ruining this for all the rest.

ETA Glad to see it's all simmered down since I started typing this post (I'm a slow typer, was at like pg 3 when I started)... will be back to read later :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Reading just the thread title, it's true,

A Calorie is not a calorie.

:laugh: :laugh: Point and set!

(One is the thermic calorie, ie the amount required to raise 1g of water 1 degree C, the other is a nutritional Calorie, which is 1000 thermic … and forgive me if I got the capital letter in the wrong one :wink:)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    mhU2p6x.jpg
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No.
This discussion has been closed.