Options
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    mhU2p6x.jpg

And I say, "Yes please!"
  • marionmmm
    Options
    People have confused a "calorie is not a calorie" with "all calories are not created equal" from the get go, and don't expect this to change with this thread.

Yay!

For most chubbies, like me, much of the "enzyme "A" does this and "B" does that" is just too far out into the weeds.

What's so wrong with the following:
    1. Look at McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese meal stats
    2. Realize that it won't keep me satisfied all day although it contains all daily calories and few nutrients I need.
    3. Eat something that's a better fit for my goals.
    4. Be active.
    ????

If its so munch more complicated than that, there's no point of logging my food & activity on here.

(Going to see how many calories burned in "wading out into weeds - strenuous")

You said Munch
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    People have confused a "calorie is not a calorie" with "all calories are not created equal" from the get go, and don't expect this to change with this thread.

Yay!

For most chubbies, like me, much of the "enzyme "A" does this and "B" does that" is just too far out into the weeds.

What's so wrong with the following:
    1. Look at McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese meal stats
    2. Realize that it won't keep me satisfied all day although it contains all daily calories and few nutrients I need.
    3. Eat something that's a better fit for my goals.
    4. Be active.
    ????

If its so munch more complicated than that, there's no point of logging my food & activity on here.

(Going to see how many calories burned in "wading out into weeds - strenuous")

You said Munch

IK,R? I should know better than to reply before I've had coffee.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If all calories are the same as you say, then how can diabetes type 2 be reversed with diet? i was not posting this as a study. I read it in an obesity journal in my Dr's office. The research was done at Harvard and University of Penn. I just found it interesting. The fact that you so vehemently disagree , and are saying that top researchers are wrong, and you (on MFP) know better...ummm ok.:noway: l

I think you're confused. Some complications that are T2D related, if caught early enough, can be reversed, slowed or the progression stopped.

However, T2D itself, is not a condition that is 'reversed'.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie... that said, some calories provide the body with way more nutrients then others. What your body needs and can tolerate is for you to figure out. Some do well eating whatever they want, some do not... is either right or wrong, no... it is what it is...
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    You're right, OP - a calorie is not a calorie.

It's a unicorn.

A glittery rainbow ****ting unicorn!

97379268_0cca2cf8fc.jpg
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Fructose - Also found in fruit.

You can't just break it down in that much detail without mentioning everything, that's what's called a biased investigation.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If all calories are the same as you say, then how can diabetes type 2 be reversed with diet?
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Probably because type 2 diabetes is caused by the amount of SUGAR you eat.. not calories. The calories often come hand in hand with the sugar, but it is impossible to develop type 2 diabetes without consuming excess sugar. You could theoretically live on a 7000 calorie/day diet, but eat only your daily requirement of sugar, and never develop diabetes. Good try though.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=the+more+you+know+meme&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1271&bih=680&tbm=isch&tbnid=jvc9eFyTe2uVdM:&imgrefurl=http://www.quickmeme.com/The-More-You-Know/&docid=BsDEo8TShj6BjM&imgurl=http://t.qkme.me/3od405.jpg&w=310&h=204&ei=C2BYUp3jJcP0
  • celerytalk
    celerytalk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy. Are you saying you defy the laws of thermodynamics and somehow get more calories out of a calorie (wtf)?
  • Dunsirn
    Dunsirn Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If all calories are the same as you say, then how can diabetes type 2 be reversed with diet?

type 2 diabetes can't be reversed by diet - a body can be struggling, demonstrating the symptoms of diabetes and potentially once the stressors are eliminated (usually diet and weight related) then the symptoms can resolve (that's basically how gestational diabetes works, when women can become "diabetic" during pregnancy but the symptoms disappear post partum).

once you've got diabetes properly, you've got it for life - it's often managed by diet in the early stages but will require a lifetimes observance to the "diabetic diet".
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

type 2 diabetes can't be reversed by diet - a body can be struggling, demonstrating the symptoms of diabetes and potentially once the stressors are eliminated (usually diet and weight related) then the symptoms can resolve (that's basically how gestational diabetes works, when women can become "diabetic" during pregnancy but the symptoms disappear post partum).

once you've got diabetes properly, you've got it for life - it's often managed by diet in the early stages but will require a lifetimes observance to the "diabetic diet".

<<<<< has got it proper :sick:
    wish the doctors told me 17 years ago, when I had gestational diabetes that once this happens to a woman, her chances of developing full blown Diabetes goes up a great deal :huh: My diagnosis totally blindsided me. :embarassed:
This discussion has been closed.